: E&G Grill Install experience

ruxprncd
07-23-06, 07:56 PM
Purchased an E&G grill to upgrade to the STS-V-style look. I figured that as common as these are, that the fitment would be spot-on...but that's not the case. The gap between the grill and the bumper cover isn't even, and the bumper stops end up slightly too high causing the hood to sit slightly higher than it should. It looks OK - and I'm probably the only one who will notice - but it's going to take some work for it to fit as well as the factory piece.

Anyone else run into this?

Also: Not a big deal, but their website claims it attaches to the factory mounting points...but the install actually required filing down a lip and drilling two small holes in the bumper cover. Maybe I got an older version of the grill from my supplier...

Cajonkev
07-24-06, 02:56 PM
Run a quick search. Plenty of discussion on the factory and E&G installs are listed.

Hope you enjoy the look!

wczup
07-25-06, 10:39 AM
There is a rubber adjustment under the hood. You need to twist the one on the left all the way down and the one on the right almost to the top.

giannatj
07-31-06, 12:51 PM
For the gap between the grill and the bumper cover you may not have the grill pushed all the way down. You said you filed the lip off the bottom of the opening. The instructions are weak on that point. It's just plastic. I found it easier to take a sharp utility knife and just slice off the lip. It only took a few seconds. You may have to tim it a little more to push the grill down further. I didn't have any problem with gaps.

I don't own a set of ratcheting box wrenches and the 8 bolts on the bottom are a bear to tighten without one because sockets won't fit in the opening. That was my only complaint.

c5 rv
07-31-06, 02:08 PM
I found the E&G stuff to be more designed for professional installation rather than DIY. My dealer had a tough time with the grilles for my CTS, as did an independent bodyshop when I had to have the bumper cover replaced. The bodyshop actually did a better job with both. Both did a lot of swearing installing the lower grille.

BirdJC
07-31-06, 03:18 PM
The bobyshop that did mine struggled a little with it too, but after they finished and figured out how to do it, they were like now it would be much easier for the next one. Point being, if you can find a shop thats done a few it would be easier.

ruxprncd
08-08-06, 07:41 PM
thanks for the replies...

I'm going to try a variety of 'settings' with the adjustable rubber stops that were mentioned above.

the grill is definitely all the way on - the bottom of the grill is nearly flush with the bumper cover.