: Every North* blows head gaskets??????

fristim
02-08-04, 05:55 PM
I currently own a 98 Concours, which is fabulous by the way. It currently has 114,000 and has been maintained by the dealer. The car was bought by a drug rep brand new and they put 56,000 on it in the first year alone, all highway. Right now to be honest with you I haven't driven another northstar that performs like this, its smooth, no oil leaks and only one trouble code that I get from the fuel sending unit when I over fill it. Other than that absolutley no trouble codes. Im at a cross road and I dont know what to do, I love the car and would love to drive it another 3 years or so. Then I want a 2001 DTS. My question is does every North* blow head gaskets and if so what would it run to fix it and is that the only weakness this motor has? Your advice would be greatly appreciated!!

zonie77
02-08-04, 06:24 PM
Every N* does not blow head gaskets. Plenty posted about replacing coolant every two years to protect the gaskets from corrosion. Even without replacing that often they don's all blow.
Change the coolant and it should last a long time.

Eldobroken
02-08-04, 09:08 PM
I currently own a 98 Concours, which is fabulous by the way. It currently has 114,000 and has been maintained by the dealer. The car was bought by a drug rep brand new and they put 56,000 on it in the first year alone, all highway. Right now to be honest with you I haven't driven another northstar that performs like this, its smooth, no oil leaks and only one trouble code that I get from the fuel sending unit when I over fill it. Other than that absolutley no trouble codes. Im at a cross road and I dont know what to do, I love the car and would love to drive it another 3 years or so. Then I want a 2001 DTS. My question is does every North* blow head gaskets and if so what would it run to fix it and is that the only weakness this motor has? Your advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Hi I have a 94 eldo with a few mods bought it with 70K now has 170K. I i just checked the head gaskets as part of an overheating problem i had which with the help of a few people on here fixed they are fine. And i drive the car hard real hard i dont abuse it but i do go through tires alot of tires traction control is turned off BTW thanks to the people who built it or should i say broken :halo: . Well knock on wood but when the head gaskets go the car goes with them. There is a long post in here with pics end everything about the job that scared the you know what outta me. Not that i cannot do it just my back would be wasted for a month. From what i hear just keep up on coolant changes is your best bet. Goodluck. Also i drove a 2000 DTS i was very Unimpressed drove like crap and the dealer gave me a 2004 DTS when fixing my 2000 seville I was very impressed. Dont know why the 2000 DTS rode so bad mabye it wasnt taken care of but it felt like a boat where as the new one rode great.

WillGlueIt
02-09-04, 09:24 AM
The first thing I did for my (new to me) 98 ETC was drain the coolant, it was very clean so I did not flush the system. Then I removed the surge tank, cleaned it out with soapy water and ran alot of fresh water through it to remove any soapy residue. I reassembled everything I removed, and placed three GM coolant supplement tablets in the lower radiator hose. Then I refilled the system with a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water. I plan on doing this every two years, I consider it cheap insurance.

Before I bought this car I found CadillacForums.com, and started searching/reading. The day I picked up the car I found a set of shop manuals on eBay, and bought those. Proper maintenance is a must, with an aluminium block engine cooling system maintenance is critical. The bottom line is, take care of your N* and it will take care of you.

BeelzeBob
02-17-04, 03:27 PM
there are millions of Northstar engines on the road and not all of them blow head gaskets....LOL...very few have a problem in that area and most of them are high mileage, older engines that lacked the proper cooling system maintenance. If you maintain the cooling system you have a very good chance of never having a problem. Remember , everyone that has a problem searches out the appropriate forums on the internet to bitch, vent and get help. So....any forum on the internet tends to paint a picture of doom about that product. Remember that the audience here is NOT a scientific sample of the population of owners and just because a problem is reported here does not mean you will have it.