: New pads don't help.

Charlee Hu$tle
07-23-06, 02:43 PM
I too have the squealing sound on my 05 STS. It's been there since about 6 mo.s after I bought the car. I have the car now for a year and a half and about 18k on it. Changed the brakes at 15k even though it didn't really need it and the noise continues on. I bought the pads from the dealer and was told there were two kinds. The ones my car came with and a high performance ceramic pad that were better. My car is fully loaded and I figured if they were Different and "better" luck was on my side to beat the squeal. I was wrong. Has anyone here had the squeal and had it repaired? There's nothing like driving your $60,000 car around and having it sound like a piece of ish while stoping at a red light.

f355c5
07-31-06, 05:18 PM
Sounds like you are babying your brakes. Try 4 or 5 hard braking from 40 or 50 mph. It worked on my Ferrari- Dealer told me to try hard braking. The brakes glaze and you have to unglaze them. Ceramice brakes are harder than regular brakes and the up side with them is very little brake dust.

corvette00
08-01-06, 10:12 AM
I also have the squeal on my 05 and am waiting for a fix from the dealer. The dealer claims they are waiting on a pad recommendation from GM. I am not very optimistic that this will fix the problem. I have heard rotors may also be an issue.

justgreat
08-04-06, 04:39 PM
i'm sure i mentioned this on another thread but it's worth repeating: the squeal problem is definitely the pads, imo....not the rotors and it's only on the hi-performance brake option. IF the hi-po pads are the same size as the standard pads (i suspect they are NOT) then you're in luck: use the standard pads and that should cure your problem...you will see a difference in braking performance but, imo, that's a small price to pay for getting rid of the noise.

jackg
06 sts6

Charlee Hu$tle
08-04-06, 06:55 PM
Unfortunately they are not the same size. I know because they gave me the wrong ones and I didnt relize until I bought them home and they didn't fit. Bummer.

justgreat
08-07-06, 09:15 AM
what you will need to do is go to the aftemarket and in this regard, you're in luck: there are plenty of companys doing brake upgrade kits. whether or not you can find one that will have an application for the sts remains to be seen; there's not much call for hopping up a caddy.

there's no need to change or "upgrade" the rotors; just look for harder pads, something like a semi-metallic compound or maybe the high-tech stuff like carbon fiber. the harder pads should get rid of the noise, will last much longer and take a lot longer to heat up and be effective...just something to remember if you do find a company making harder pads for the sts.

actually, thinking about it, if the problem really bothers you, you could go to a different caliper which would then allow you to "pick and choose" so to speak, what pads you could use. the thing to remember is to go with a pad for hardness rather than ultimate cold stopping power. like all the german cars, the first touch of the brakes and you have plenty of stopping power, but you have the tremendous brake dust build-up....and the unbelievably short short pad life...go with harder pads and you're better off all the way around, imo.

jackg
06 sts6

corvette00
08-08-06, 08:44 AM
The dealer is installing ceramic pads on my vehicle today

E's Caddy
08-09-06, 10:10 PM
Hey, just wondering how it went with the install of the new pads. My dealer is going to reglaze them, or some such thing. Anyway I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

corvette00
08-10-06, 09:34 AM
In addition to new pads the dealer also installed rotors. I have yet to hear a squeal while braking. However, I do notice a squeek while rolling at a slow speed and not applying the brakes. Spending the money for aftermarket pads on a leased vehicle of this caliber with only 12k miles is not an option.

justgreat
08-10-06, 11:48 AM
i assumed the vehicle was owned rather than leased. if it were my vehicle and i had the noise problem from the brakes i would pursue the aftermarket pads (after exploring all avenues with the manfr/dealer) that would fit the stock calipers. the ceramic pads probably necessitated the new rotors; i would think the ceramic pads will chew up the rotors at a faster rate. it's good to hear that the dealer was able to take care of the problem.

jackg 06 sts6

william1034
08-19-06, 05:14 PM
I had the same problem and continued to get the run around from my dealer. Their first answer was that brake squeal is normal. Then they tried a silence, twice. I was told on each occasion that they did a thorough brake check. The forth time a new technician found that both the front right and left pads had split down the middle. So don't assume that the squealing is normal.

It seems everytime I take the car in they break something else.