: R32 Nissan Skyline Owner Says Konnichiwa

scourge
03-29-03, 10:37 AM
Hello from the land of the rising sun. I currently don't own a Cadillac and won't for some time. I don't really care for modern Cadillacs except the Catera and XLR nor anthing from the 1970s-1990s really (except the hearses. I love the late 60s early 70s hearses). I hope you guys don't hold this against me.:)

I'm a huge fan of 1950s-1960s Caddies and would love to buy the 1955 Caddy sitting across the street from the Dairy Queen back home....but the old couple won't ever sell it and so it sits rotting in their front yard.:(

I do hope to get some infomation about the Northstar engine. Its my favorite US built engine next to the Chevy 283. Wish there were a wavey smilie.

lux hauler
03-29-03, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the board:wave:

kcnewell
03-29-03, 10:42 AM
No we won't hold it against you....That doesn't mean we won't tease you now and then! Welcome to the BEST Cadillac site going!

scourge
03-29-03, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by lux hauler
Welcome to the board:wave:

WOW! You click the [Get More] link and there are actually more smilie choices! :banghead2

:wave: - here we go.

BeelzeBob
03-29-03, 11:18 AM
Yeah! Ya see that?! :wave:

Welcome aboard! And thanks for signing up! Skyline, huh?! Cool! Fast, right?

scourge
03-29-03, 11:35 AM
Fast? Yeah...for me. I'm only getting around 350hp at the crank. I have a GTS-4 coupe, not a GTR.:( I have an RB20 single turbo whereas the GTR as the twin turbo RB26. I'm pretty quick for my needs/wants. My friend's R31 RB27 800hp monster is something I don't even dream about trying to mess with.:shocked2:

I love my Skyline but I will admit that tooooooooo many people (young boys often) worship the Skyline like a god when they haven't even seen one in person much less driven one. I'm all about performance. I don't care if you use turbos, supercharger, nitrous, have an I4, I6, V6, V8, V10, whatever. Fast is fast no matter how you make it.

I'm generally only into imports but if I were back in the US right now, I would not at all be opposed to having a 1994-1998 Mustang or even a Cadillac Catera. Again, its about performance and as the old saying goes - Its not where you're from, but where you're going.

:burn: <- LOVE this smilie. Has nothing to do with anything, but I just wanted to say I love it.

Katshot
03-29-03, 04:46 PM
Welcome,
I know what you mean about the Skyline's too. My 19 year old son worships them just as you said. Your philosophy about power, cars, and engines is quite agreeable with me ( my "extra" car is a black '02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V ) but the bald guy's not buying any of it. It's cool though, we all get along just fine. Especially if you remember that BS won't fly around here.

Mad'lac
03-29-03, 04:54 PM
Nissan has made some cool cars that they never sold here. I for one love the 89-93 Silvia. It may not be the fastest one around but it'll get the job done:burn: :devil:

Elvis
03-29-03, 05:37 PM
skylines are sweet. welcome aboard.

Andrew60SP
03-29-03, 06:40 PM
Nice ride. Lets see some pics!

I saw a R34 GTR up here once. That was quite the sight.

elwesso
03-29-03, 07:07 PM
Welcome aboard!!!!! Im glad Im not the only person on the board with an import!

Brett
03-29-03, 08:07 PM
Skylines are great...and the fact that you cant get them here(without jumping thru alot of hurdles) creates an almost mythical story around it, i gotta say i've fallen for it, think its an awesome car sight unseen....welcome to the board

Ralph
03-30-03, 12:39 AM
Actually, it's easier to get a gray market car in the US now than it used to be. If you want a Skyline there's a company called MotoRex in Los Angeles that imports and legalizes them and other Asian cars that aren't sold in the US. Expensive, but you can get them now.

I heard Nissan isn't making the latest Skyline anymore, but that a new model is just around the corner and will be sold over here officially.

Anybody have any opinions on the Lancer EVO VIII Mitsubishi's bringing over this year?

scourge
03-30-03, 04:20 AM
EVOVIII looks like ass. EVOIV, EVOV, and EVOVI are the most intimidating IMO.

Brett
03-30-03, 11:49 AM
yeah ralph, i should have said without jumping thru hurdles OR paying something like 80k for one from Motorex

Andrew60SP
03-30-03, 04:31 PM
The Infiniti G35 is the new Skyline. The high performance version isn't out yet though.

scourge
03-31-03, 04:34 AM
Technically, it is in Japan as the 350GT. The GTR has now been made into its own make in the Nissan stable. Personally, I think this is a mistake and the public scorned the GTR concept. Latest reports have the GTR coming out in 2005 after a serious body redesign. Everything else is good to go, but the ass ugly body that Nissan hoped people would love on the concept. Man...they were wrong.

Ralph
04-01-03, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Brett
yeah ralph, i should have said without jumping thru hurdles OR paying something like 80k for one from Motorex Just like I said, expensive, but possible.

Ralph
04-02-03, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scourge
[B]Technically, it is in Japan as the 350GT. The GTR has now been made into its own make in the Nissan stable. Personally, I think this is a mistake and the public scorned the GTR concept. Latest reports have the GTR coming out in 2005 after a serious body redesign. Everything else is good to go, but the ass ugly body that Nissan hoped people would love on the concept. Man...they were were wrong

The basic Skyline is exactly like the G35 (there is a coupe and a four door). Its rear drive. Basically, the Jap market Nissan Skyline was brought over here, they slapped Infinity badges on it, and called it the G35. Like the Jap version it's got the 280 horse inline 6.

But the GT-R is another story. It's the big daddy. All-wheel drive, carbon fiber, turbos, traction control, every Jap tech goodie known to man. It looks quite different from the reg. Skyline. Check out the versions in Gran Turismo and you'll see what I mean. The GT-R does have the same engine under its hood, but its loaded with waaaaaaaay more stuff, and was engineered to be about 400 horses. The catch is that in Japan the car companies have an unspoken agreement to avoid a horsepower war, and put govners on their engines, limiting them to 280 hp. But the dealers will give you the factory perf. chip in the showroom, and thats all you need to get the 400 hp out in a matter of minutes.

This is why Japan is a serious custom car culture- the aftermarket parts companies like Nismo, Spoon, Renntech, TRD, etc, are huge. The Jap car companies often design their top-performance engines to handle 700 horses, especially Supras, NSX's and RX-7's. The current GT-R just ended production.

Anyway, the G-35 is the new Skyline, but NOT the new Skyline GT-R. Nissan showed a concept car at the Tokyo auto show in 2001, and THAT is what the new GT-R will look like. The big question is whether they'll finally build a left-hand version to sell here. The last one was only exported to England and Australia.....and it sold only to a small cult of fanatics because it was so damn expensive, most guys with that kind of cash are not interested in a car with a Nissan logo on the nose-no matter how fast it accelerates. They but Porsche's and TVR's.

Astronomer
04-02-03, 08:18 AM
Welcome to the Forum,

There is still hope for you, your desire to know more about the Northstar is proof of your superior intellect.

Ralph
04-03-03, 12:18 AM
I know, I know, I can ramble on like the best of 'em. The only reason I know about the rice-grinders is because I have to listen to my good friend, and cousin go on about them. I guess I have an interest in all cars (growing up in my dad's Gulf service station) But I have always bought and had AMERICAN cars. PS, I have to confess I don't really know much about the Northstar other than the fact that when I stepped on my dad's gas pedal, it was like a sympthony of pistons screaming in my ears. I want to learn any and everything about my 4.9. Oh yea, welcome yourself.

scourge
04-03-03, 07:33 AM
The GTR will be LHD as Nissan specifically has the NA market in mind for this car. We don't know what it will look like in the final design. The car at the 2001-2002 Tokyo Auto Salon was panned by the public - and rightfully so, it looks like shit!

Skylines are expensive only in Maylasia (taxes) and the US (US laws put in place by lobbying from GM-Ford-Dodge to keep out higher quality and lower priced inports rather than actually improving their own product). They are a little more expensive than here in Barbados and Jamaica. I bought my AWD R32 GTS-4 for less than $3000USD.

Yes, there is a cult of the Skyline over here and this is for just about every year it was made. The Skyline is the Japan what the Corvette is the the US. The agreement for 280ps was total BS....just like a lot of things in Japan, things are said and no questioned. But, I have seen stock GTR dyno runs and all put out over 300hp. Replace the exhaust, new fat intake, turn up the boost and you're over 350hp easily.

My friend has an 800hp Skyline and another friend has a 550hp R32 GTR. These are truly amazing machines that can pump out over 1000hp from a 6-cylinder and still be street legal! But, I do get annoyed at American kids who talk out their butt about the car when they have never seen one in person, much less driven/ridden in one.

The Northstar is an interesting engine. Like I said above, I'm about power and I don't care how you make it. I don't get into this "V8 engine only because all the others are rice burners" mentality. I certainly don't have the ricer mentality either. In fact, I'm very open minded. Fast is fun....bitching about how you get there isn't.:)

HotRodSaint
04-03-03, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by scourge
...the US (US laws put in place by lobbying from GM-Ford-Dodge to keep out higher quality and lower priced inports rather than actually improving their own product).

Actually it was the saftey and green lobby that has helped mandate changes to our car's. The big 3 would rather not have the added expense either.

Like I said above, I'm about power and I don't care how you make it. I don't get into this "V8 engine only because all the others are rice burners" mentality. I certainly don't have the ricer mentality either. In fact, I'm very open minded. Fast is fun....bitching about how you get there isn't.:)

I couldn't agree more. Nothing like riding in a grey market Cadillac through Ginza on a Sunday afternoon, or driving a grey market Skyline GTR down through Huntington Beach on a summer Saturday night. :cool:

If it burns rice, kraut or coca-cola (what do we burn in the US?), as long as its burns, it's ok by me.

Brett
04-03-03, 09:22 AM
"(US laws put in place by lobbying from GM-Ford-Dodge to keep out higher quality and lower priced inports rather than actually improving their own product)."

LOL.... that explains why the camry is the best selling car in the country

kcnewell
04-03-03, 11:14 AM
LOL.... that explains why the camry is the best selling car in the country

It's a good car......A really boring cookie cutter car that I wouldn't be caught dead in. But it's dependable!

Brett
04-03-03, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by kcnewell
It's a good car......A really boring cookie cutter car that I wouldn't be caught dead in. But it's dependable!

Never said i liked the car, just thought it was funny that someone thinks the government is keeping japanese cars from being sent here.

kcnewell
04-03-03, 12:20 PM
I agree with you Brett, That's ludicrous! But I was just stating my opinion of the car regardless of how dependable it is!

HotRodSaint
04-03-03, 01:48 PM
Never said i liked the car, just thought it was funny that someone thinks the government is keeping japanese cars from being sent here.

Side note: The Camry is MADE in the USA.

Brett
04-03-03, 02:26 PM
Does everyone here have to be a contrarian, regardless of the Camry, there are no such laws orchestrated by the Big 3(one of which is German) to keep out superior cars. If the post referred specifically to the skyline, than the most obvious reason to not send it here would be sales figures. Lets keep in mind the Supra and Mitsu GTO didnt stop coming here because they sold too many.

scourge
04-03-03, 11:27 PM

Thats not thinking, its a fact. MB also had a hand into restricting the cars you could import due to so many people buying Benzes from Europe and importing them grey market rather than buying a new Benz in the US.

But, you will also notice the Japanese cars are MADE in the USA and are thus exempt from the importation restrictions. For example, a Corolla made in Japan would have to be modified to meet the US regulations while the one made here is already compliant. It costs money to change the car. So, the Japanese car companies found a way around the law and still make a superior car that is one of the best selling cars in the USA.

What Detroit tried to and what they accomplished are two different things. But, this is why the Skyline has to go through a lot of modyfing to get US compliant.

HotRodSaint
04-04-03, 08:35 AM
Thats not thinking, its a fact.

You MIGHT be using facts, but your not using them to properly arrive at the truth.

MB also had a hand into restricting the cars you could import due to so many people buying Benzes from Europe and importing them grey market rather than buying a new Benz in the US.

MBNA took the grey market importers to court over these grey market car's. They were the North American marketing arm for what was then Daimler-Benz. They were loosing money to the grey market when it was cheaper, because of the strength of the US dollar, to convert a European car to US spec.

They didn't win. Importing stopped because it was no longer cheaper to convert a European car to US spec. It only happens now for vehicles not made for sale in the USA.

In fact, up until a few years ago, the only way to buy a G-Wagon was through the grey market. MBNA saw the market potential, and brought them in cheaper than a grey market car.

You can buy a RHD Federalized Skyline in the US. There is no law against it. It just needs to meet US regulations. It won't have a factory warranty, and parts will be difficult to source. And they are over $50,000.

But, you will also notice the Japanese cars are MADE in the USA and are thus exempt from the importation restrictions. For example, a Corolla made in Japan would have to be modified to meet the US regulations while the one made here is already compliant. It costs money to change the car. So, the Japanese car companies found a way around the law and still make a superior car that is one of the best selling cars in the USA.

Dude, you are so far away from the truth that I almost just want to ignore your post.

The only import restriction still on the books, is a 25% tarriff (called the chicken tax) on commercial vehicles. This was instituted in the 1950's as a sanction against Germany (VW) for their sanctions against our poultry industry (hence the name chicken tax).

Every other regulation impossed on a motor vehicle is safety or emissions related. And most industrialized nations have similar regulations impossed, that must be met to sell a car in their market. Japan is no exception.

And everyone of these regulations has been opposed, at least initially, by ALL auto makers selling car's in the US.

There is no Auto company selling product in the US (with the possible exception of some 'boutique' English specialty car makers) that convert a vehicle AFTER it has been manufactured, for importation into the US.

All car's are designed with the thought of which markets they will enter. If the decide against the US market, then it is harder down the line to retrofit the vehicle do to bumper design etc...

The Japanese build car's here NOT to circumvent regulations, but to protect themselves from Dollar/Yen currency fluctuations.

What Detroit tried to and what they accomplished are two different things. But, this is why the Skyline has to go through a lot of modyfing to get US compliant.

Wrong!

The Skyline was never intended for export, to any market, period!! And due to it's design, it cannot be converted to LHD. Not for the USA, not for Germany and not for France. This is the main reason that the previous generations were not sent here officially.

Even though an Infiniti GTR (Do not expect this car to be a Nissan when it arrives here) would have helped the brand image.

The fact is, Japan, the USA and Europe all have differing safety and emmissions regulations. The saftey cover's bumpers, head lights, restraint devices, door beams, and air-bags. All of these add cost to a vehicle. And all of them need to be part of the design process, or the car doesn't go to all the markets.

I like your car, welcome to the board, but leave your attempts at the conspiracy stuff to the professional fantasy writers.

HotRodSaint
04-04-03, 08:41 AM
Lets keep in mind the Supra and Mitsu GTO didnt stop coming here because they sold too many.

Exactly.

It was the cost of these to the consumer, and the previous 300Z and RX-7, that stopped them from being sold here. To many gizmo's increasing the price to Porsche territory.

HotRodSaint
04-04-03, 08:47 AM

So how does the act of making them in the US help them comply with US regulations?

Couldn't you make the car in Japan to US spec's and accomplish the same thing?

Do you really think that companies make a Japanese spec car then tear it apart so they make it comply with US laws?

Wouldn't it be easier to bolt US bumpers on during the assembly process and drop a US spec engine instead of a Japanes spec engine, before it leaves the factory?

You don't know how cars are made, do you?

scourge
04-06-03, 10:40 AM
Conspiracy?:rolleyes: Oh please! It seems you are someone who would believe that Japan has strict car testing laws every 2 years because they are more concerned about the environment and public safety than anything else.:rolleyes: The fact is, Japanese car corporations have lobbied the Japanese govt to pass these laws that make it cost more to own an older car than it is to buy a newer one. Its got jack shit to do with the environment or safety. Its about subsidizing the Japanese auto industry.

I'm well aware of how cars are made. I also know its not any boogeyman idea to accept the fact that countries do whatthey can to protect their own. 5-MPH bumpers are safety features?:rolleyes: A car must have an airbag or else its a dangerous car?:rolleyes: By having a car made in the USA, an import company can get around import restrictions, transport costs, and if it uses enough domestic made parts, it can be considered a US car.

Its not just Japan that has learned how to side step import restrictions, Germany and now even South Korea can as well. I remember the 1980s all too well and the anti import sentiment that was running rampant in Detroit as well as the declining sales numbers and quality ratings. If you don't think Detroit lobbied Congress to make it more difficult to import cars then there is no cure for you gullibility. It was never a conspiracy, it was just an act of survival.

Brett
04-06-03, 10:49 AM
you still have not defined these import restrictions. if you are saying that a 5mph bumper is a restriction, i guess it could be seen that way. but in no way does it limit the type or kind of car that can be sent here. you said the Big three got lawas passed to limit good cars coming from other countries. how are they being limited?

kcnewell
04-06-03, 01:54 PM
Also you mentioned that they build them here to make them somehow magically a U.S. car...All they are is a Jap. car assembled here! Putting a factory to assemble your car on U.S. soil DOES NOT make you an American company nor does it make your import into a domestic. To believe that it does is foolish!

HotRodSaint
04-06-03, 04:42 PM
Conspiracy?:rolleyes: Oh please! It seems you are someone who would believe that Japan has strict car testing laws every 2 years because they are more concerned about the environment and public safety than anything else.:rolleyes: The fact is, Japanese car corporations have lobbied the Japanese govt to pass these laws that make it cost more to own an older car than it is to buy a newer one. Its got jack shit to do with the environment or safety. Its about subsidizing the Japanese auto industry.
So according to you, the Japanese government and their auto industry doesn't care about the environment or safety?. They just want to sell more car's?

There are many Japanese regulations that would contradict your assertion, but that's not the topic of this thread.

Europe and the USA care about the environment and safety. For both of these markets, there are regulations that must be met before a car can be sold.

I'm well aware of how cars are made.
It wasn't evident in your last post. You've done nothing in this post to change that perception.

I also know its not any boogeyman idea to accept the fact that countries do whatthey can to protect their own. 5-MPH bumpers are safety features?:rolleyes:
Are you are really going to use the 5mph bumper regulation to try and prove that the US auto industry requested this regulation so they could keep the Japanese car makers (and everyone else) out of the US?

If you are ignorant of how a law came into being, then you might not want to use that law as your example to contiunue to propogate your flawed conspiracy theory.

It was the US insurance industry that requested 5mph bumpers. They were paying out money for claims in minor accidents. This law, like all the others, was opposed by the US automakers. Not only did it add additional cost to the manufacture of domestic vehicles, it took away some profit revenue from accident repairs.

A car must have an airbag or else its a dangerous car?:rolleyes:
No, we have been told that you should wear a seat belt unless you're an idiot. Congress thought there were too many idiots not wearing their seatbelts. Their fix was supposed to be an alternative to seatbelt use. Except like most regulations that are imposed on us by the saftey fasicsts, they failed to see the consequences of this regulation. So now, because of a few idiots not wearing their seatbelts, we must buy airbag equiped cars.

The European car makers have taken this idea, and gone much further. The Japanese and Americans have followed. The fact is, safety sells world wide.

Domestic Japanese car's also have airbags. They can thank the US safety fasicsts for that.

None the less, this regulation was also opposed by the US auto industry. Now make sure you get this part, IT ADDS COST TO THE MANUFACTURE OF CAR'S.

By having a car made in the USA, an import company can get around import restrictions, transport costs, and if it uses enough domestic made parts, it can be considered a US car.
I see you've changed your theory a bit to include transportation costs. At least you're making progress.

Now, name one import restriction a Japanese car maker can get around by making the car in the US, that they couldn't if the car was made in Japan.

Its not just Japan that has learned how to side step import restrictions, Germany and now even South Korea can as well.
Name one import restriction BMW, Mercedes and/or Hyundai are able to side step by making their car's in the US, that they couldn't if the car was made in the home market.

I remember the 1980s all too well and the anti import sentiment that was running rampant in Detroit as well as the declining sales numbers and quality ratings.
Then you remember Detroit complaining to the Reagan and 1st Bush administration that the US car market was wide open to any and all competitors, while the Japanese Government and industry was protecting their market with unfair restrictions. You remember their attempts to get the Japanese market to open.

This is the exact opposite of what your Detroit centered conspiracy theory claims happened.

I will fault Detroit for not making anything worth a yen. But at least the Japanese market is now free to choose not to buy a Saturn, thanks to the effort from Detroit.

If you don't think Detroit lobbied Congress to make it more difficult to import cars then there is no cure for you gullibility. It was never a conspiracy, it was just an act of survival.
I like your car, welcome to the board, BUT PLEASE STOP POSTING ON THIS SUBJECT UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY JUST TRYING TO BECOME THE VILLAGE IDIOT.

kcnewell
04-07-03, 01:27 AM
You've gotta LOVE HotRodSaint, This is a great post! It tells it like it is.

THE LAST LINE SAYS IT ALL!!

BUILDINGCTSAMG
04-07-03, 02:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HotRodSaint
No, we have been told that you should wear a seat belt unless you're an idiot. Congress thought there were too many idiots not wearing their seatbelts. Their fix was supposed to be an alternative to seatbelt use. Except like most regulations that are imposed on us by the saftey fasicsts, they failed to see the consequences of this regulation. So now, because of a few idiots not wearing their seatbelts, we must buy airbag equiped cars.[QUOTE]

Is it really that bad to have airbags in your car? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I think its a good thing. Technology has made the crumple car and the airbag steps to help people in accidents not hinder peoples driving ability. If properly used one will never die of an airbag (they may get burned or something) but technically people have gotten tangled in saftey belts and burned to death, how come we arent complaining about seat belt laws? Airbags are good things, but like anything else if used poorly can cause damage! :banghead: Example brick wall

HotRodSaint
04-07-03, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by BUILDINGCTSAMG
Is it really that bad to have airbags in your car? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I think its a good thing. Technology has made the crumple car and the airbag steps to help people in accidents not hinder peoples driving ability. If properly used one will never die of an airbag (they may get burned or something) but technically people have gotten tangled in saftey belts and burned to death, how come we arent complaining about seat belt laws? Airbags are good things, but like anything else if used poorly can cause damage! :banghead: Example brick wall

I've never been in a severe accident, thank God. But I have my reservations about a device exploding into my face while all the other violent stuff is happening around me too.

My point was, how the law came into existance. Certainly there's a benefit or else we wouldn't have side curtains and side impact devices now.

I have always worn my seat belt. I will always wear my seat belt. The being thrown from the car to saftey theory never made much since to me.

But the airbag was supposed to be an alternative to the idiots who didn't wear their seatbelts. Except, like most regulations imposed by bureaucrats, they didn't test their theory before implementing it.

Now, not only must we still wear our seatbelts, we also need a new regulation to protect small children in the passenger seat. (Which ironically, means they must wear their seatbelt and a device deactivates the airbag.) People have been killed by airbags, when they would have survived the accident.

I think seatbelt laws (and motorcylce helmet laws) are good. Because if you crack your skull open on the windshield (or roadway), my insurance goes up to pay for your stupidity. I'm not paying for your stupidity. You can look stupid and save me money instead.

HotRodSaint
04-07-03, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by kcnewell
You've gotta LOVE HotRodSaint, This is a great post! It tells it like it is.

THE LAST LINE SAYS IT ALL!!

I hope I wasn't too rough on the poor guy. :halo:

He just kept insisting on going to the deep end without taking any swimming lessons. :shocked2:

kcnewell
04-07-03, 08:26 AM
No, I don't think so. You've got to try to help the brain dead whenever you can! LOL!

Ralph
04-08-03, 02:03 AM
Weren't airbags always supposed to be used with seatbelts, isn't that why they are called "supplemental inflatable restraints?" Also, just a piece of knowledge: my cousin who had a head-on collision got second degree burns from the airbag, which he said smelled like corn starch. They seem to have injured or killed a lot of people in the past allright.

HotRodSaint
04-08-03, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Weren't airbags always supposed to be used with seatbelts, isn't that why they are called "supplemental inflatable restraints?"

Originally they were supposed to be an alternative to seatbelts. And at that time, they didn't even need to be airbag's. Remember the automtic seatbelt systems of the '80's? Evidently, they also 'fit' the definition of the law.

It wasn't until data began coming back that they realized people were being killed by airbags because they weren't buckled-up.

So much for good intentions.

HotRodSaint
04-08-03, 09:15 AM
Front air bags hurting children

Study: 1 of every 7 exposed to device's use have bad injury

By Lisa Zagaroli / Detroit News Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON -- Children seated in front of an air bag that deploys are twice as likely to suffer a significant injury than those wearing just a seat belt in a car crash, according to data from a new comprehensive child passenger safety study.

One out of every seven children exposed to an air bag suffered a significant injury, said the interim report, which showed mounting evidence that young people are safer riding in the back seat.

The study reinforced child safety advocates' promotion of the use of booster seats for older kids, finding that no children between 4 and 8 years old who were in booster seats suffered abdominal injuries. Children that age who wore seat belts were 3.5 times more likely to suffer an abdominal injury compared with kids in boosters.

A team of safety researchers led by Children's Hospital of Philadelphia are conducting the study using five years of crash data provided by State Farm Insurance.

The number of children exposed to deployed air bags doubled by the end of 2002, compared with early 1999, because older cars were replaced on the nation's roadways by those equipped with passenger-side air bags, the crash data showed.

The new research documents an increased risk of upper-extremity fractures, such as forearm, finger, hand and clavicle, for children in car seats who are exposed to air bags compared with those restrained only by a seat belt.

The study has also found that children involved in a side-impact crash are at an increased risk of pelvic injuries. While only 14 percent of kids in the study were in a side-impact collision, 62 percent of pelvic fractures occurred in side-impact crashes.

The typical child with a pelvic fracture was a girl aged 12-15 seated in the front row.

You can reach Lisa Zagaroli at (202) 662-7382 or lzagaroli@detnews.com

kcnewell
04-09-03, 12:25 AM
BUT as usual....The government will NEVER repeal the law mandating air bags. Once they get something passed they won't let go of it no matter how stupid it is! Seat belts are fine and I can live with them......Air bags are a bad idea and the only thing they really seem to do is f--k up the interior of the car more in an otherwise realitivly minor crash! Making it more expensive to repair and (Of course) Making our insurance rates go up!

Ralph
04-09-03, 03:20 AM
Absolutely, also, regarding my cousin, the passenger front airbag shattered the windshield as well (it is a large bag on a 1997 Bonneville SSei) adding to the cost of repairing the vehicle.

I would never put a kid in a seat or booster seat near an airbag, I think they should be away from them, put the kid in the middle back seat. I know many people were putting the baby seat against the front passenger bag backwards. The force of the bag would throw the kid across the interior. I have heard that the first generation airbags deploy at 200 miles per hour. ( correct me if I am wrong but I think the slowed-down 2nd gen bags were mandated in 1998+) I am curious about survival rates for adults regarding side impacts.

I think side-impacts are much more deadly, but I don't know of any data regarding adult side impact survival rates with airbags. I would imagine that if a car penetrates your side door on impact, it would also cut through the bag like a hot knife through butter. Anyway, these are just some thoughts, any comment? PS On the news a few years ago, did you hear about a 1975 GM car that had experimental (at the time ) airbags, the guy had an accident and THEY STILL WORKED! Then you read other recalls, etc. and on some cars they go off accidently by hitting a bump.

lev
09-02-03, 10:23 PM
Hey, Ralph.
What kind of a car was Paul Walker drving in the first 30mins of 2fast 2Stup... I meant 2Furious? :)

MMNineInchNails
09-03-03, 12:09 AM
skyline

Ralph
09-03-03, 02:38 AM
Hey, Ralph.
What kind of a car was Paul Walker drving in the first 30mins of 2fast 2Stup... I meant 2Furious? :)

Why do you ask?? I haven't been around for a while Dude. I haven't seen the new movie yet, too addicted to Vice City.

Brett
09-03-03, 08:56 AM
Whoa! Hey Ralph, good to have you back.

HotRodSaint
09-03-03, 12:26 PM
I haven't been around for a while Dude.

Good to see you Ralph. You missed some fun.

Blackout
09-03-03, 04:38 PM
Talk about going back a long ways to find this thread. But to answer your question.....Paul Walker is driving a Nissan R34 Skyline V-Spec II *their top of the line model, and also there are only two V-Spec II's in the US and Paul Walker own's one of them* But the car was so watered down for the movie that its not even funny. First off the stunt drivers couldn't drift the AWD Skyline so they converted it to a RWD platform so that they could drift the car. And because of that conversion when they actually tested the car in the 1/4 it did a mid or high 14 sec 1/4 when the thing stock is good *with the AWD mind you* for high 12's low 13's. Hope that helps you out guys. Technology.....ain't it grand!!! :worship:

Ralph
09-07-03, 10:49 PM
Good to talk to you. I've been busy with my boring education again, plus I HAD to see the pics of Suprafly, and to do that I had to register!! LOL.