: Fun with shotguns and stupid thieving kids.

Spyder
07-22-06, 08:11 PM
So, last night, I came home from work around 2:00 am. I backed into my driveway and noticed three juveniles walking away from a car up the street. One of them asked me for a cigarette. I don't smoke, told them no, I don't have any, and went to my door. Suspicious, being two in the morning, I go inside, turn off the lights and stand by the window to watch them. They proceed to walk to the neighbors house, peeking into every car and house window along the way. Wearing backpacks, the little %$@#suckers are obviously looking for cars and houses to break into. I go back out making sure my Sig is secure in my waistband(yes, I am a CCW holder and no, I had not been drinking.), jump into my truck, fire it up and scream up the road towards them with the lights off. As I pull abreast of them, I slam on the brakes, turn on the lights and idle along at walking speed next to them. They ignore me. I ask "What are ya'll doing out here?" They claim they've been locked out of their house and were trying to get back in. I ask which house. 340. There is no 340 on this section of the street. I say "The one with the little red car?" They say "yea, the one with the little red car." There is no little red car on this section of the street. I say "oh, ok. Ya'll have a good night. I drive away, acting like I'm leaving, go around the corner, turn out the lights, sit in the gas station for a few minutes and then go back towards my house. They're walking back towards my house and don't hear me coming somehow, so I again pull up next to them and slow down to their speed but being totally quiet, not saying a word. After a few seconds, I again ask them what they're doing and they tell me not to worry about it. I swerve the truck over to the side, hitting one of them with the fender and they run back to their car. While they're getting across the road and into their car, I pull the Mossberg 500A out of my toolbox, load the less-than-lethal LEO buckshot rounds I keep for just such an occassion, cock it and lay it on the bed of my truck. They drive off. I decide to wait for them as I have a hunch that they're coming back. About twenty minutes later, they drive slowly by the house, coming from the opposite direction. I think they may have crapped themselves as I was still sitting there with a loaded shotgun on my shoulder, Sig in my pocket, giving them the princess wave as they went by the house. They sped up, I jumped in my truck and took off after them for a block or so, but let them get away because I want to go to bed. No more punk ass kids trying to break into my house, with any luck...hopefully they had to go home and have their moms help them change their underwear.

illumina
07-22-06, 08:49 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good work my man! I have been having those issues around here too. These kids have been going around here slicing tires and such. I guess it's time for the Ruger .38 to have a peep-show, huh? But I would like it better with a nice shotgun!

Almost reminds me of the time I ran after someone who I caught peeking into windows and shit where I used to live...I chased them while I was weilding a 42" Samurai sword. Didn't see that kid again...

FastCTS
07-22-06, 09:02 PM
"So, last night, I came home from work around 2:00 am. I backed into my driveway and noticed three juveniles walking away from a car (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) up the street. One of them asked me for a cigarette. I don't smoke, told them no, I don't have any, and went to my door. Suspicious, being two in the morning, I go inside, turn off the lights and stand by the window (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) to watch them. They proceed to walk to the neighbors house, peeking into every car and house window along the way. Wearing backpacks, the little %$@#suckers are obviously looking for cars (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) and houses to break into."

While watching them I called the police, when they arrived they took care of those little %$@#suckers, end of story. :thumbsup:

True story a few years back.....Friend of slain teen recalls shooting The three 17-year-old boys were bored, looking for something to do as they cruised Monday night in their new Ford sedan. So they started to goof off, stealing a few Halloween decorations from people's front lawns. They had no idea that one of them would end up dead over the prank. One of the boys, stole a plastic pumpkin sitting on the front stoop of a home on Coral Way, the home owner came out with a 357 revolver and shot him. The teenager later died and the home owner was arrested for murder. The home owner told police he was tired of the kids in the neighborhood harassing and stealing
WITNESS: Joy ride turned tragic, but youth says killing `was no accident.'

Rolex
07-22-06, 10:31 PM
I see both sides to the argument. I predict this thread will go 5 pages at most before it gets locked. I probably would have done both things: phoned the police to deal with and identify them, and also waited in the shadows with a sidearm to assure the safety of my family and neighbors until the police arrived.

Personally I wouldn't give chase to them, but getting their plate number and letting them know they're being watched wasn't such a bad idea IMO. Either way I imagine they shit their panties when they saw my boy retrieving a scatter gun from the trunk. :eek: ;)

Spyder
07-22-06, 11:12 PM
Calling the police = time wasted = escaped would-be criminals. They hadn't broken any laws yet, they were just walking through yards with backpacks on and looking for trouble. I let it be known that they did not want to cause trouble in my neighborhood. Law enforcement coming to the door and taking a report would have done nothing, other than filing a report. There had been no crime committed yet and there was no crime committed at all through the course of the night by any of us, as far as I know. I live in a non-incorporated part of the county. In California, open carry of a sidearm is legal as long as you are outside of city limits and the county has a residency of less than 200,000 and, of course, the firearm is legal and legally possessed. All of those apply. I broke no laws. Also, if you noticed, I loaded it with less-than-lethal rubber buckshot. Hurts like hell and sometimes leaves a mark, but in a vast majority of the situations, is more than enough to stop a confrontation or situation which could escalate out of control. If it came to the point where I was being assaulted and actually NEEDED to fire those rubber buckshot rounds, no permanent damage or harm would have occurred. If it went beyond that, the house phone on the tailgate next to me would have dialed 911, which is traceable to a location, and the Sig would have come out. It wasn't a brash action or a vigilante law-creation act. It was defending my property, friends and neighbors in an area where law enforcement is far less than efficient in doing that on their own.

I am very much aware of firearm and defense laws and their application in my area. I take far more than a few minutes a week to review them for changes and see what is legal, recommended and required for various circumstances. Everything I did was entirely within the law and reasonable for a Friday night in a rural area with an immediate yet low level threat which could be handled without pulling law enforcement officers away from downtown fights, DUI's, drug enforcement, assaults and all manner of other crimes-in-progress.

Kinda like calling the fire department to get a cat out of a tree. They'll come and do it if they have to, but they have much better ways to be spending their time, budgets and resources.

Rolex
07-22-06, 11:21 PM
Damn well said.

Sandy
07-22-06, 11:39 PM
At the risk of much anti-sandy comments, I tread where I fear to go (or write).

Listen up. When you have young punks, or seasoned killers (YOU don't know who you are dealing with) ~ and you grab your "heat" and go after them, you have allowed yourself, whether or not you are aware of it, to be pulled down to their level, in the name of hatred for what you think they are going to do, or are sure of what they are up to. One of them, further acting like a jerk, rushes you .... your adrenalin rushes, your are scared, fearful, and you shoot. He dies. He was gonna steal a car. He didn't. He's dead. Bottom line he never DID steal THAT car, but you....you are tired for murder.
"But....your honor, it all happened so fast......yada yada....." You do the time. Was it worth it ?
Call the cops, that's what they are trained so well for. You can only legally shoot when & if they break into your house. Chasing them down the street and all will only build up your emotions and suspecions & hates, and cloud your good judgment and cause you to act in ways you would not otherwise.
Call the cops, tell them what you saw. They will be there in less than 2 minutes.
I am not a cop! But....
My wife's 1st cousin is a VERY big cop. He's a former leutenant of a force, and now an officer in the State's PBA, former Veep of PAL, and President of the Jewish Cops Society of the NorthEastern part of the USA.
He tells many many stories. None worse than the 13 year old kid - outside his house, while his father (a carpenter) slept around 1AM. Seems the kid had strarted smoking, secretly and waited for Mom & Dad to go to bed. He then snuck outside for a "quickiee" ~ Being October, the ground was full of leaves, and his footsteps outside made the usual crackle, which awakened Dad, who, fearing a home intruder, grabbed his gun and shot thru the window, killing his son. If he called the cops, his son would be alive today & 18 years old.

Relax, take a deep breath and call the law.
We don't want anything BAD to happen to you !! :)

Eric Kahn
07-23-06, 12:58 AM
Sandy, the problem is that he had seen no crime and has not said that there was a curfew or any other law the kids were breaking, and only in dreamland to cops show up in 2 minutes, unless you lie and say that someone was shot, which in itself is a crime
for a couple of kids walking down the street at night with backpacks around here, they will not even pull the local cop off radar speeding ticket duty to investigate
we, as citizens and residents of our nieghborhoods need to make sure that these "teenageers" are aware we are watching them, that in itself will prevent more crimes than the understaffed, forced to be revenue enhancement officers, police dept

FastCTS
07-23-06, 01:37 AM
Your still young, wait till you get some "life experience" and you will see how flawed your logic, actions and safty were. Your situation could have turned to s**t in a heartbeat. A prosecutor could eat you alive in a courtroom. Like sandy said, we don't want to see you hurt or pleading your reasoning in a court as the defendant.
There are tresspassing laws, curfew laws, possession of burglary tools, possession of stolen property, weapons/drug violations, if they violated any of those they might have a conspiracy charge, and it's a crime to attempt to commit a crime. These are just some of the things the police could have determined. Let the police do their job and have the knowledge/experience doing.

illumina
07-23-06, 02:23 AM
It's not even going to matter once WWIII breaks out over in the Middle East. Once everyhting goes to shit, everyone will be running around in a Mad-Max state and the police will be those who take matters into their own hands...:D :stirpot:

Krashed989
07-23-06, 05:10 AM
It's not even going to matter once WWIII breaks out over in the Middle East. Once everyhting goes to shit, everyone will be running around in a Mad-Max state and the police will be those who take matters into their own hands...:D :stirpot:

I think I'll move to Spyder's neighborhood when that happens. :thumbsup: :D

Spyder
07-23-06, 07:22 AM
Sure as hell would be a good place to be when the world goes to hell! :)

Rolex
07-23-06, 10:28 AM

It's good to have a plan. Just in case. :thumbsup:

Elvis
07-23-06, 02:45 PM
Those punks are going to do the same thing again tonight.

But they'll choose a different neighborhood.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
07-23-06, 09:06 PM
Sure as hell would be a good place to be when the world goes to hell! :) Dude...if I happened to be in your area some day, wanna teach me how to shoot? I'll return it for a great course in hand-hand combat :)

Spyder
07-23-06, 10:54 PM
Without a doubt. Many a Sunday afternoon is spent at the range...all ya have to do is let me know you're coming and I'll load up!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-24-06, 12:33 AM
Back to the main story. These kids were out to do something. I'm not sure what, but definetly no good. Now they know theres a watchdog out there (Spyder) so they won't go back there. Good job dude! If it would have been me, I would have let them know they were being watched, but I wouldn't have taken any further aggressive steps unless I was being led on.

One of my neighbors is a year younger than me and is a wigger. He hangs out with a bad group of kids, some white kids, some somalians and stuff like that. Anyways, two summers ago, back when I had my Roadmaster, I parked it in the street like I always do, and on a hot, sunny, summer afternoon, I spotted two of those somalians looking in the windows. Not just peeking mind you, but they had their hands to the windows, so they could see better what's inside. Luckily, I keep nothing in my car's cabin, just in the trunk, so they didn't steal anything, but I knew they were looking for something.

Later that year, about 10 cars that were parked out on my street got keyed one night. My dad's 91 Mazda 626 took the street that night while the Roadmaster got the driveway. The Buick was untouched while the 626 got keyed all the way down the driver's side and both left side tires were slashed. Same thing happened with my neighbor's '93 ETC! And on other streets, cars were broken into, along with garages and stuff like that. Now I'm just glad that never happened again.

illumina
07-24-06, 12:50 AM

I embrace such days! When everyone runs out of ammunition, they'll all resort to the things I know how to use quite well: the Samurai sword! And don't forget things like miniature cross-bows...:D :p

CadiJeff
07-24-06, 01:34 AM
mabe(hopefully) not that bad but:yeah: and in either case I'll be ready, usaf recall or or not.

CadiJeff
07-24-06, 01:37 AM
also the most common threads here would be...has anyone found any gas to drive your cadi? and...batt fully charged car turns, no codes, but still won't start

Eric Kahn
07-24-06, 06:28 AM
No gas, but I do have some nice vegetable oil to drive my VW diesel with

Rey Rey 650
07-24-06, 12:15 PM
Spyder- Imagine if they would have pulled out a knife, making you shoot and kill one of these kids? Do you think it would be worth it? I would have just called the cops and went to sleep. If there not breaking into my car/house then im ok. Im not about to catch a case for someone else's shit. I'm trying to do big things in life, not serve a 15-L. I know you trying to do big things too....

Spyder
07-24-06, 01:04 PM
Illumina - I've got a LOT of ammo lieing around the house and garage. It'd take some time to run out. :) And, once I do, I've got my crossbow, my compound bow, my Claymore and my quarter staff...the last one of which I was damned good with at one point. :D

Rey Rey...if they had pulled out a knife, they'd have gotten a face full of rubber buckshot followed by an instant 911 call and a 12 gauge in their face with seven more rounds of less than lethals. Them pulling a knife and advancing on me = assault. Assault = legal reason to defend oneself. Rubber buckshot = legal and nonlethal way to defend oneself against lesser weapons. If they would have pulled a gun then they would have deserved to be put on the ground as they would have ended up doing it to someone who WASN'T prepared to deal with it and someone who WASN'T aware of the consequences and legality of their actions, as I was.

You ALWAYS have the right in this country to defend yourself against an aggressor. Three people, advancing on myself at 2:30 in the morning, armed with deadly weapons is an attack on my life. The right to defend oneself is full and apparent right then. No explanation needed.

If I'm being attacked I'm going to use every damned thing at my disposal to get out of the situation unharmed and alive. If that means shooting someone who is trying to kill me, done. No questions asked. It never came anywhere near that, and it if had, that is why the first EIGHT rounds that would have been fired were LESS THAN LETHAL *RUBBER* buckshot. I could have just as easily loaded the 8 shot or the 6 shot or the slugs that are right next to the box of LE rounds. I didn't. I knew I didn't want to kill the kids over nothing. However, if the situation had somehow unfortunately escalated the Sig was ready for battle.

Not about to catch a case for someone else's shit? I'll remember that when you're my neighbor and I see someone break into your house and rape your wife. I don't want to get involved because I might get in trouble. Screw everyone else and what may happen to them, I just want to take care of myself.

Nope, sorry. My neighbors and I have always kept an eye on each others places. I've gotten phone calls at work before because an unfamiliar car pulled into my driveway, opened the garage, and took a set of jumper cables. I had sent them to do it, but it was a car the neighbors had never seen before, so they wanted to check in and make sure it was alright. The morning after this incident, I went to all of the neighbors and told them what had happened. They all know to keep an eye out now. You don't think that fifteen houses on one block keeping an eye on their property is a better preventive measure than calling the Sheriffs department and going to sleep?

Enough for now. I have looked it over and thought about it plenty. I've told the situation to a few acquantinces who I know through my bartending job. A lawyer, a city cop and a CHP officer. All of them approved one hundred percent with what I did. That's good enough for me. It was entirely legal, I was int he right and I was defending myself, my neighbors and my friends.

Caddy Man
07-24-06, 01:48 PM
Spyder where did you get rubber buckshot? I can only find it for sale to law enforcement people...

Also, I probably would have just called police and kept my eye on them. The police showing up would have scared the shit out of them. In my town, police get a call about suspicious people, they are there in a few minutes since its a quiet suburb without much else going on late at night.

Elvis
07-24-06, 01:50 PM
Spyder- Imagine if they would have pulled out a knife, making you shoot and kill one of these kids? Do you think it would be worth it? I would have just called the cops and went to sleep. If there not breaking into my car/house then im ok. Im not about to catch a case for someone else's shit. I'm trying to do big things in life, not serve a 15-L. I know you trying to do big things too....

Imagine if they had pulled out a knife, and he WASN'T armed?

but I see your point. A wise but uneducated person I know once said "Don't start nothing and it won't be nothing."

Rey Rey 650
07-24-06, 01:52 PM
You ALWAYS have the right in this country to defend yourself against an aggressor. Three people, advancing on myself at 2:30 in the morning, armed with deadly weapons is an attack on my life. The right to defend oneself is full and apparent right then. No explanation needed.

Oh my bad.... I didnt know that they advanced on you like that. In the story you said that when you got home they had just passed a car and that one of them approached you for a cigarette. I dont find that threatning at all.. So you went in your house to get a shotgun? Were you scared? Cmon man lol.... I remember a guy in San Jose got killed in front of a starbucks by some scary cops when this guy chucked a chair at them(missing the cops).... I think people are way to quick to pull out a gun for "self defense"...

Rolex
07-24-06, 06:15 PM
Spyder where did you get rubber buckshot? I can only find it for sale to law enforcement people...

www.deltaforce.com (http://www.deltaforce.com) carries non-lethal shotgun rounds for sale to the public. They are proud of some of their merchandise though. Please....use this stuff with caution. It can be lethal in some cases. Also, if you shoot someone with this stuff, remember there will be 2 sides to the story that the cops will hear. ;)

Spyder
07-24-06, 06:20 PM
No, they didn't advance on me. You brought up the "what if" of them having weapons and producing them and that was my response to the scenario.:) They did ask for a cigarrete, but only after I questioned them about why they were out peeking through windows on houses at 2:30 in the morning.

San Jose is a little bit different than my town, where a good third of us have either a gunrack or a shotgun behind the seat. I keep mine locked in my toolbox, but my either my Sig 226 or my Kahr K40 are always on me, unless I'm going drinking. CCW holder, yes, so its perfectly legal. And yes, I can carry legally on school grounds and old folks homes. :)

I didn't go in my house to get a shotgun because they advanced on me or because they accosted me or any other such thing. I had the shotgun within arms reach when they drove off and I had a feeling that they were going to be coming back in time. I sat on the tailgate of my truck with my phone preset to dial 911 if anything happened, with the Mossberg on my leg pointed safely into the air. I live in a non-incorporated part of the county. Open carry of loaded weapons is legal here. As long as it is visible, I can have all the loaded legally owned weapons I want. Because of my CCW (Carry a Concealed Weapon) permit, I can also have them hidden upon my person or vehicle, loaded and hot. Sitting on the tailgate of my truck with a shotgun in my own driveway was not an assault nor a threatening gesture (some of you will argue the threat of it, but if it is not aimed at or near anyone, there is no express threat) and I was merely letting the thieves know that I KNEW what they were up to and they were NOT welcome back in my neighborhood.

Caddy Man - The sheriffs in this area can take anywhere from 2 minutes to twenty minutes to show up when called. Obviously there wasn't any exigent circumstances which needed attention. Merely suspicious activity. With that, there would have been a low priority set for the call and loud houseparties, DUI's, fights and other such calls would have a higher priority, most likely leaving the would-be criminals plenty of time to get into a vehicle or house, commit their burglary, and get out of the area before any law enforcement would arrive. If law HAD showed up, they could have done nothing because no laws were broken by either party, myself or the three. Scared the hell out of them? Shit no it wouldn't have. When the officers could do nothing but detain and question them, then be forced to let them go because there is no PC to search, and then, still, chance finding nothing, they would have gone on their merry way and laughed in my and the officers' faces. It would have done nothing but make them more confident that they can get away with burglary whenever they want.

Rubber buckshot I've found on Gunbroker.com. It was about a buck a round in boxes of twenty five, if I remember right. It IS hard to find, but its out there. Ammunition is legal to ship UPS if its declared, so you can have it delivered to your door. Nevada I know you can find it in some gunstores. Mine are 00, you can also get the big bad ass beanbags and single or double ball rubber rounds, but those cause a lot more potential damage to the aggressor so I opted for the smaller and lighter buckshot.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=52752807

fullserviceman
07-26-06, 02:52 AM
sounds to me like you wanted to scare the little bastards and never see them in you neighborhood again right? Whats wrong with that? Had rubber bullets that unless you stuck the gun up their dirt chute couldn't kill them. You have done your homework before the mission was accomplished which is more than 99% of anyone else doing what you did would have done. These kind of lessons I think work. If the thugs think you are crazier than they are they won't even walk on the same side of the street as you. There are a ton of what if's in hindsight of any situation.

FastCTS
07-27-06, 01:32 AM
Spyder: Fun with shotguns and stupid thieving kids.

An immature amateur playing with kids. :cop:

Spyder
07-27-06, 01:07 PM
An immature amateur playing with kids who DIDN'T steal from myself or from my neighbors, thank you very much. Mission accomplished. I still have all of my belongings, my neighbors still feel secure in knowing that their homes have not been compromised. That is good enough for me. Like I said, I sure as hell hope that your neighbors are more "neighborly" than yourself when they see someone breaking into your house in the middle of the night, stealing your valuables, shooting your children because they were witnesses and raping your wife while your away on business.

Spyder
07-27-06, 01:18 PM
And FastCTS, I realize that you were LE for many many years and I do appreciate that and all that you have done for various people over the course of your life and career. I realize that you have far more experience in this field than I do. I hope to one day be at the same point as you. I AM looking to get into law enforcement. I just graduated with a Bachelors in Criminal Justice from Sacramento State.

I also know that here, in my particular area, the Sheriffs Dept. will not most often respond with much urgency to a call of "three juveniles wandering the streets at night" as it has been tried before. I know exactly what they were going to do, what they were planning on doing, and what would have happened had I called the PD or SO.

If you would care to take the time, I wouldn't mind knowing what all there was that I did wrong. Other than your advice of just calling the police and going to bed, which isn't and never will be an option, tell me what I did wrong so that I DON'T get in trouble. An amatuer, yes. Inexperienced, yes. Willing to learn and correct wrongs, YES. PM me if you would like, or on here so others will know as well. I would actually appreciate the views of another who has experience in the area. Those that I've talked to in this area, lawyers and officers both, tell me I did what should have been done. the two LEO's that I spoke to both told me that 'off the record', admittedly, but they agreed with what I had done and both said that they would have done the same.

Rey Rey 650
07-28-06, 01:08 PM
And FastCTS, I realize that you were LE for many many years and I do appreciate that and all that you have done for various people over the course of your life and career. I realize that you have far more experience in this field than I do. I hope to one day be at the same point as you. I AM looking to get into law enforcement. I just graduated with a Bachelors in Criminal Justice from Sacramento State.

I also know that here, in my particular area, the Sheriffs Dept. will not most often respond with much urgency to a call of "three juveniles wandering the streets at night" as it has been tried before. I know exactly what they were going to do, what they were planning on doing, and what would have happened had I called the PD or SO.

If you would care to take the time, I wouldn't mind knowing what all there was that I did wrong. Other than your advice of just calling the police and going to bed, which isn't and never will be an option, tell me what I did wrong so that I DON'T get in trouble. An amatuer, yes. Inexperienced, yes. Willing to learn and correct wrongs, YES. PM me if you would like, or on here so others will know as well. I would actually appreciate the views of another who has experience in the area. Those that I've talked to in this area, lawyers and officers both, tell me I did what should have been done. the two LEO's that I spoke to both told me that 'off the record', admittedly, but they agreed with what I had done and both said that they would have done the same.

Spyder- I'm going to jump in this really quick... I dont think its about being experienced. You just need to understand that flashing a shotgun or whatever on kids who are roaming around your area isn't right. If these kids were actually breaking into your house and you felt threatened, then that would be ok. But if these kids are walking around and you THINK or ASSUME that there getting in some shit, then why woulkd you flash the gun? You went up to them and they knew that you were aware of there presence. That should be good enough. You could of really made a big thing out of something small.

Caddy Man
07-28-06, 02:27 PM
I also know that here, in my particular area, the Sheriffs Dept. will not most often respond with much urgency to a call of "three juveniles wandering the streets at night" as it has been tried before.
what about three suspicious persons who are looking into houses and cars??? Gotta word things better...maybe that would have gotten a quicker response?? Question...do you live in a large city? Because besides for Detroit, the police from any suburb around here in the metro area would have been there in a few minutes to check things out.

Rolex
07-28-06, 02:29 PM
Rey Rey, just my opinion but if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck....

They proceed to walk to the neighbors house, peeking into every car and house window along the way. Wearing backpacks, the little %$@#suckers are obviously looking for cars and houses to break into.

Looking through car and house windows in the wee hours of the morning while wearing packs REAKS of B&E. I'll wager they were looking for women's purses, but any excuse like cellphones or radar detectors would have justified theivery. Just my .02.

Elvis
07-28-06, 02:40 PM
And they lied about which house they were looking for.

I probably would've just stayed in the truck with the brights on. I also have a really bright portable floodlight. They would've left eventually.

illumina
07-28-06, 11:44 PM
Spyder: Fun with shotguns and stupid thieving kids.

An immature amateur playing with kids. :cop:

Why start a flame man? :(

itsabughunt
07-31-06, 01:06 AM
Rather than reading through four pages of postings I'lls top at pg. 1 and say this post is quite correct:

Your still young, wait till you get some "life experience" and you will see how flawed your logic, actions and safty were. Your situation could have turned to s**t in a heartbeat. A prosecutor could eat you alive in a courtroom. Like sandy said, we don't want to see you hurt or pleading your reasoning in a court as the defendant.
There are tresspassing laws, curfew laws, possession of burglary tools, possession of stolen property, weapons/drug violations, if they violated any of those they might have a conspiracy charge, and it's a crime to attempt to commit a crime. These are just some of the things the police could have determined. Let the police do their job and have the knowledge/experience doing.
God knows what they had in their backpacks. Cops LOVE catching lil shits like this. You can almost guarantee they had burglary tools int heir packs, probably some stolen property from down the block and quite possibly some drugs. Vigilante stuff is exciting but in the long run never worth the trouble. Buy insurance and let it (and the police) do their job.

Caddy Man
07-31-06, 01:57 AM
EXCELLENT RESPONSE, I am suprised I didnt see this before. As a criminal justice major looking into Law Enforcement/Law school, FastCTS took the words right out of my mouth. Let the police do thier job...and I'm having a hard time beliving police would not respond promptly to a suspicious persons call in the middle of the night especially. Maybe you werent legally wrong, but there are better ways to handle situations especially this one.

tstach
07-31-06, 10:25 AM
Looking through car and house windows in the wee hours of the morning while wearing packs REAKS of B&E. I'll wager they were looking for women's purses, but any excuse like cellphones or radar detectors would have justified theivery.

Exactly. Looks like probable cause, especially at that hour when these punks should have been at home with family and in bed asleep.

Anyone should have the right to protect their property in this situation. Additionally, the perpetrator should assume all consequences for their illegal actions and not be made out as a potential victim of a working/tax-paying homeowner trying to protect their personal property.

Had a problem like this where I used to live. Cars getting broken into over a 3 weekend period during Summer. Purses, wallets, stereos, credit cards, tools, radar detectors, CDs, etc. Gone! Nothing was done. Nothing... No one was caught either. Who's the victim here, the thieves?

One of the best neighborhood watch programs I've ever seen Spyder. We have one in my neighborhood that is similar. Good job!

Jesda
07-31-06, 10:50 AM
In the end, no one gives a damn about you more than yourself. Protect your property and life on your own, and rely on others secondarily.

itsabughunt
07-31-06, 12:49 PM
Exactly. Looks like probable cause, especially at that hour when these punks should have been at home with family and in bed asleep.

Anyone should have the right to protect their property in this situation. Additionally, the perpetrator should assume all consequences for their illegal actions and not be made out as a potential victim of a working/tax-paying homeowner trying to protect their personal property.

Had a problem like this where I used to live. Cars getting broken into over a 3 weekend period during Summer. Purses, wallets, stereos, credit cards, tools, radar detectors, CDs, etc. Gone! Nothing was done. Nothing... No one was caught either. Who's the victim here, the thieves?

One of the best neighborhood watch programs I've ever seen Spyder. We have one in my neighborhood that is similar. Good job!
Look at your second paragraph because thats where the important part is: Anyone should...The perpetrator should...

"should" is not the same as "does". If shots had been fired that night Rolex WOULD be facing civil and possibly criminal charges. I'm not saying thats the way it ought to be, just stating the reality as it stands.

I don't think anyone here is weeping for the "rights" of those punks, its more a matter of wanting to keep honest folks like Rolex out of legal trouble. Its quite possible that he would at the very least lose his concealed weapons permit and possibly the right to own firearms entirely if the sh*t had hit the fan. Not to mention the lawsuits from two punks' families. Its conceivable that he would be facing criminal charges himself and even if the jury doesnt convict there would be loads of lawyer expenses. A car stereo simply isn't worth it. Rolex's life didn't appear to be in any danger. And I'm fully aware that this argument will be lost on many of you. Just trying to bring a reality check.

Look, at the very least he should have called 911 before doing the things he was doing. If there had been two bodies in the streets he would be getting torn up in court for not doing that. The situation was bad enough to warrant gearing up with a shotgun and pistol, cruising around the neighborhood in his truck and posting up in front of his house like a sentry but it wasnt worth calling the police??? Just think for a second how that would look in court (civil AND criminal). The prosecutor would simply paint it like he wanted to kill some punks. Even if he managed to stay out of prison (and I have serious doubts), Rolex would at least be getting his paychecks raped for the rest of his life by the civil settlements.

brougham
07-31-06, 01:40 PM
Im stopping this now. No one is going to convince Spyder that he was wrong and arguing about what he did and didn't do isn't going to change anything.