: Expensive Air Filters Worth it???

Elmer Fudd
07-21-06, 11:49 PM
I am not talking about the complete re-fits with "cold air" intakes. But the simple rectangular filters. Do "hi-flow"s like K&N really help performance signifcantly??? I know, what is significant?? Well I would say going from 300 hp to 301.5 is not significant, but 310 would be......:D

Elmer Fudd
07-21-06, 11:59 PM
Well, it may not matter. Went to the K&N site to get a part number and when I put in 99 deville, all the show is an oil filter.........:crybaby:

Frost
07-22-06, 08:42 AM
You might call them directly - they don't always have everything in their inventory listed on their website, espcecially with our "older" cars - I got a K&N air filter that way,,,,,

Elmer Fudd
07-22-06, 09:59 AM
Yes, this morning I checked some on-line parts stores and they had them. BOth said the same K&N number, so I'm sure its right.

Ranger
07-22-06, 11:39 AM
I am not talking about the complete re-fits with "cold air" intakes. But the simple rectangular filters. Do "hi-flow"s like K&N really help performance signifcantly??? I know, what is significant?? Well I would say going from 300 hp to 301.5 is not significant, but 310 would be......:D
No. Do a search. This has been discussed many times:horse:. You'll find enough reading material to keep you bussy for days.

dkozloski
07-23-06, 12:14 AM
As strange as it may seem. The original AC Delco filter is the most efficient on the market. Not only does it do the best job of filtering out the dirt, it also holds the most dirt before it becomes restricted. The only thing the aftermaket filters provide is an easy path for small rocks into the engine.

JohnnyO
07-24-06, 11:25 AM
Most air filters, even paper ones, are big enough that the paper isn't really much of a restriction. A 500 cube big-block is different. A N* is a great engine but displacement-wise it ain't all that big and therefore doesn't flow all that much air. I tried a K&N in my previous truck and didn't see a difference in either mpg or performance. I use NAPA Gold air filters these days.

Elmer Fudd
07-24-06, 12:04 PM
Yes, after reading some past posts, it makes sense to stick with ordinary filters.......