: No one at Cadillac knows when part will be available.

Midlife Z06
07-21-06, 08:30 PM
I recently bought a new STS and now, after two weeks, I wish I could get rid of it.

After one week, no one at Cadillac, and I mean no one, can tell me when glass will be shipped to replace a left rear window that was shattered when a thief broke into my car.

The break in was last Saturday morning. Of course, no one at the dealership could help me on Saturday but I did get a “Call back, Monday” comment.

Monday when I called, the dealer thought the glass was available and scheduled a Tuesday install. It seems now that the glass is not available.

After five days of phone calls and waiting, Monday through Friday, it turns out we still don’t know when it may be available. Today I was told that in six more days they might “advise” a shipping date. That’s not to say it will ship in six days. Oh No! In six more days they will only advise when it might ship. In our conversation the phrase, ‘shipping may be in three weeks” slipped out. Add more time for delivery and installation and it will be five weeks total without my new car due to the availability of a “part”. Of the first six weeks of ownership, I will get to drive it for one.

I was very patient for the first five days until today. Can anyone be proud of that kind of service? Are the new ones are coming off the line with this glass in place? Can I get one of those? I guess building and selling cars is way more important than servicing those that already own them.

I have talked to three people at the dealership and two people at the Cadillac customer service number. This does not include the two busy signals and the one time I got “disconnected” from customer service. I don’t want to tell you about the wait time for this customer service line.

While shopping for this car, I turned down an AUDI and an Acura for the STS because of my perceived advantage to buy American for parts cost and availability. Boy, was I wrong.

I was trying to avoid the plastic and duct tape thing on the door but maybe that is the “Cadillac way”.

How much do you have to spend on a car to get good service? Apparently this much is not enough.

Brett
07-21-06, 09:46 PM
have you tried calling other dealers or possibly even a reputable local body shop?

BenC
07-21-06, 11:34 PM
I do not believe there was a change in any of the window glass anywhere on the STS since production began on the '05 models. If that is a correct statement, then most any independent auto glass shop should be able to get a replacement glass on short notice, as there are always at least several OEM and/or aftermarket manufacturers of each piece of glass on a production U.S. vehicle. I just had the windshield replaced on my Avalanche yesterday, and visited with the technician about what brand of glass he had picked up. He had on his truck a couple of windshields for my '03 made in Mexico that he said were one OEM source for General Motors on the Avalanche (also built in Mexico), and showed me other glass on his truck for other vehicles ranging from L-O-F and PPG to some manufacturer in China. Auto glass shops aren't limited to windshield replacements -- they do door glass, rear windows, etc. My only concern on having an independent replace a door glass would be whether the technician had experience pulling apart the door on an STS. I think you'll find that the price of glass (using brand-name U.S. manufactured product) and labor from an independent auto glass shop is a fraction of what you'd pay a dealer. Moreover, many of these places come to your home or office and do the work right there. Just look in the yellow pages.

Skibanker
07-22-06, 10:35 AM
[quote=Midlife Z06]I recently bought a new STS

Since this is a brand new car, I presume MIDLIFE wants to have it repaired under warranty, so going to a body shop or glass repair place would not be a good option. I think going to a different Cadillac dealer, one who actually wants his business, is the right move here.

Cajonkev
07-22-06, 01:16 PM
Ahhhh.. but he said it was a break-in and as such is not a warranty repair unless they are being extremely kind. GM like virtually everyone else uses a depot system and so any inventory should show on their (the depots) system wherever it is at. Wouldn't hurt to call around but no guarantee unless they have it sitting around the parts shop (bad for cash flow) which most don't...:bouncy:

That also brings up insurance and glass buy-back programs and such but the real point is simply that he cannot get the glass.

I did a front passenger window replacement through my dealer on my 05 last year that was non-warranty. They thought it would be a wait as the model was so new that supply goes to manufacturing and not to replacement parts during the first year on a graduated basis.

I was lucky and the depot had a piece and it was a two day deal for me. Sorry Midlife isn't having the same luck.

Reminds me of when my brand new Explorer had a security (PassIII) module failure 60 miles from home and they couldn't get the part for 10 days. I used the same "Isn't there a box of them sitting on the floor at the assembly line?" And the, " You have a lot FULL of new ones, give me one of those!"...Needless to say, ten days later...

Man was I mad...:want:

Best of luck!...:alchi:

Midlife Z06
07-22-06, 06:51 PM
Actually all you guys are right. My insurance company wants me to use a glass company. Since the door has to come apart I want the dealer to do it. Turns out the dealer uses a glass company for all their glass repairs. That company happens to be approved by my insurance company. The dealer, even thought they will not get paid for this work, has promised they will make sure it is done right. And the work will be done in their shop.

According to the dealer, GM has not released this piece for manufacture by any other supplier. The second step to find this glass was a nationwide dealer parts inventory search. The cupboard was empty.

The third step is to take it off the assembly line. This is where I am losing my patience.
Apparently the dealer has to wait so many days before they can even request a piece off the line. If the dealer inventory search takes two hours and returns nothing you may have to wait seven days before they commit to take it off the line.

Or the fourth step apparently is to order it from the manufacturer. I would doubt that will be a fast delivery.

Maybe Cadillac will just switch a complete door from a black one in their inventory. J

Maybe GMAC will waive one payment if it sits for a month. J

I wonder if GM Parts Direct could get it. Any idea where I could get the part number?

Midlife Z06
07-25-06, 09:18 PM
Surprise today. Somehow the dealer got the glass today and installed it this afternoon.

Apparently they did not know their "work-around the system" was successful when they placed the order last Tuesday.

I'm back on the road again.

Cajonkev
07-26-06, 08:21 PM
Congrats!

justgreat
07-27-06, 08:14 AM
it's not unusual to have a difficult time finding ANY auto glass for replacement other than the windshield. this is true with any make. it's just not something that is a high replacement item and therefore, it will take time to get it from the factory. this is a common problem that i have heard numerous times with many different makes. it still sucks, but it's not unusual.

jackg
06 sts6

Jesda
07-31-06, 07:18 PM
Glad you got it resolved. Enjoy the ride. :)