: Coolant system question

OffThaHorseCEO
07-21-06, 04:03 PM
2001 Northstar 4.6

when the overflow tank overflows, where does the overflow go?

Ranger
07-21-06, 04:11 PM
Overboard, on the road, garage floor, parking lot etc. Just follow the overflow hose and you'll see.

Elmer Fudd
07-21-06, 04:40 PM
If you add collant you need not fill it to the neck. At least on mine when I did that it promptly overflowed in the driveway when it warmed up. An inch down works for me.

If it does overflow, be sure to hose the stuff off with lots of water very proimptly. That stuff attacts dogs and cats with the sweet smell and is poisionous (at least the old green stuff was).

OffThaHorseCEO
07-21-06, 05:27 PM
ok then i dont need to worry about a busted hose

now onto the possibly bigger issue, what would cause a normally non leaking 2001 Deville to overflow to the point of spillage to the point of a low coolant message

today is a 94 degree day, the car usually runs with the ac on but has never had an overheating problem, my brother was driving it and didnt experience a problem until parkin here at the office parking lot, he used the highway to get here with a average constant speed of 65 mph, no stop and go

i hope this isnt a big issue

Ranger
07-21-06, 10:11 PM
Remember, when you shut down, the cooling systen ceases to operate, but the cylinders are still hot and the engine will actually heat up (after boil). As it does the coolant will over flow if too full as Elmer mentioned. That will usually only happen once as the system is sort of seeking its correct level. If it does not overheat when driving, then perhaps the cap is getting weak. Does this happen with every shut down? Are you overfilling it? Proper level on an '01 is about 1/2 full, just about where the tank goes from translucent to opaque.

codewize
07-21-06, 11:08 PM
Correct, on the top of the tank in small letters you'll see where it says 'full when hot' and there is a line there. If you follow the line down the side of the tank you'll see that, as Ranger said, it stops right where the tank changed from translucent to black.

Where is your gauge sitting while you're driving? and as far as the after boil, sometimes when it's really hot out and I park the car, turn it off, and come back to it a few minutes later my gauge will be slightly above center. I've never seen it higher than that due to that affect.

Remember, when you shut down, the cooling systen ceases to operate, but the cylinders are still hot and the engine will actually heat up (after boil). As it does the coolant will over flow if too full as Elmer mentioned. That will usually only happen once as the system is sort of seeking its correct level. If it does not overheat when driving, then perhaps the cap is getting weak. Does this happen with every shut down? Are you overfilling it? Proper level on an '01 is about 1/2 full, just about where the tank goes from translucent to opaque.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-22-06, 01:05 AM
today was the first time ever, drove it str8 to autozone to buy some dexcool and filled it pretty high, about 1.5 inches from the top

even with low coolant the needle sat at mid temp

CadiJeff
07-22-06, 02:10 AM
perhaps air somehow got into the system?

failing/stuck thermostat... the post shutdown heat up forced it open and it surged

tman2093
07-23-06, 01:03 AM
That stuff attacts dogs and cats with the sweet smell and is poisionous (at least the old green stuff was).

It actually tastes good. I accidentally had a taste of it (long story) and I can see why dogs like it. It's not bad at all.

dkozloski
07-23-06, 01:54 AM
Anti-freeze, glycol, is used to sweeten inferior wines in Europe in small amounts.

chazglenn3
07-31-06, 11:39 PM
Anti-freeze, glycol, is used to sweeten inferior wines in Europe in small amounts.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reading statements like that make me glad that I have been a "Friend of Bill W." for over 9 years now.