: hard start when hot, not FPR

fpmesiIII
07-20-06, 06:08 PM
car starts up fine in the mornings, after a nights rest. and after driving it and parking it for about less than 10 minutes, it starts up fine. but after that it is hard to start. i checked the FPR, and it holds a vacuum. I just replaced spark plugs and wires, with AC-Delco. any ideas what needs to be fixed in order for my hard starting to go away for good?

Ranger
07-20-06, 06:42 PM
Does the fuel pressure hold after shut down? Perhaps a leaking injector?

fanofsims2
07-21-06, 01:17 AM
An ignition module can also heat up and make it hard to start, requiring a cool down period.

weister42
07-23-06, 01:13 AM
I have the same problem...not the FPR and I got the plugs & wires changed along with fuel filter and a few relays. One mechanic couldn't tell me jack and the other one says all eight of my injectors are seeping when he lifted the fuel rails. It happened right after I installed a stereo but I can't see how it can affect the engine:confused:

Hey fpmesiIII can you give more details on the service history and any recent upgrades to your car? When you park for 10~15 minutes and try to start does it start almost too quick? The chances of ALL of my injectors seeping at the same time sounds suspecious to me.

Basically your engine is flooded with gas. You can start your car better by pressing on the gas pedal to open up the throttle body. If this trick works then me and you share the exact problem.

fpmesiIII
07-23-06, 02:51 PM
no upgrades all stock, except for magnaflow mufflers. my mechanic said that i have leaky fuel injectors. and to replace them at $100 dollars each it was not worth the $800. since it has 148k and is 10 yrs old.

it does sound kinda bad though when you try to start it and it just doesnt fire prompty. i will try to hold down the gas peddle and see if that changes anything. funny thing is that it starts up fine after a long sit and a quick sit. but anywhere after too short and too long it acts up. im guessing a long sit would be like 8+ hours and a short sit would be like under 10 minutes.

I just hope there is something i can do to fix the problem without paying 800 bucks for those damn fuel injectors.

dkozloski
07-24-06, 12:46 AM
Off to the local auto salvage yard.

fpmesiIII
07-24-06, 09:30 PM
update: holding gas peddle down does not help.

weister42
07-30-06, 03:29 PM
Holding down the gas pedal only "helps" to get the gas outta the engine, on a really hot day I have to press the pedal down fully for a few seconds for my car to start, otherwise I'll have to sit there and crank like I have a broke ass caddy:alchi: . I've been driving with this problem for awhile now and I think it's getting worse...yep off to salvage yards...

EcSTSatic
07-30-06, 03:42 PM
If you suspect the injectors and you can afford some downtime, the folks at RC Engineering (http://www.rceng.com/service.htm#INJECTOR) can bench test, balance and blueprint your injectors.
I had mine done on a TurboCoupe and they came back looking like new.

fpmesiIII
08-01-06, 09:55 AM
im pretty sure its the injectors. the problem is all of the salvage yards around here have no newer caddys. everytime i call they have nothing. if i did manage to find one. where on the engine would i have to go in order to retrieve the fuel injectors?

dkozloski
08-01-06, 10:41 AM
Contact Leroy and Bubba down at the pool hall. They'll meet you out on a country road with a "parts car" and you can have anything you want.

clarkz71
08-01-06, 11:17 AM
Leroy & Bubba are in Fairbanks looking to jack a CTS for parts.:rolleyes: