: some people are just clueless

MrSmith
07-19-06, 04:22 PM
How do these people survive?

ONE Recently, when I went to McDonald's I saw on the menu that you could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets. I asked for a half dozen nuggets. "We don't have half dozen nuggets," said the teenager at the counter. "You don't?" I replied. "We only have six, nine, or twelve," was the reply. "So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I can order six?" "That's right." So I shook my head and ordered six McNuggets

TWO I was checking out at the local Wal-Mart with just a few items and the lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine. I picked up one of those "dividers" that they keep by the cash register and placed it between our things so they wouldn't get mixed. After the girl had scanned all of my items, she picked up the "divider", looking it all over for the bar code so she could scan it. Not finding the bar code she said to me, "Do you know how much this is "? I said to her "I've changed my mind; I don't think I'll buy that today." She said "OK," and I paid her for the things and left. She had no clue to what had just happened.

THREE A lady at work was seen putting a credit card into her floppy drive and pulling it out very quickly. When I inquired as to what she was doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept asking for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM "thingy."

FOUR I recently saw a distraught young lady weeping beside her car. "Do you need some help?" I asked. She replied, "I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote door unlocker. Now I can't get into my car. Do you think they (pointing to a distant convenience store) would have a battery to fit this?" "Hmmm, I dunno. Do you have an alarm, too?" I asked. "No, just this remote thingy," she answered, handing it and the car keys to me. As I took the key and manually unlocked the door, I replied, "Why don't you drive over there and check about the batteries. It's a long walk."

FIVE Several years ago, we had an Intern who was none too swift. One day she was typing and turned to a secretary and said, "I'm almost out of typing paper. What do I do?" "Just use copier machine paper," the secretary told her. With that, the intern took her last remaining blank piece of paper, put it on the photocopier and proceeded to make five "blank" copies.

SIX A mother calls 911 very worried asking the dispatcher if she needs to take her kid to the emergency room, the kid was eating ants. The dispatcher tells her to give the kid some Benadryl and should be fine, the mother says, I just gave him some ant killer..... Dispatcher: Rush him in to emergency!

Life is tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

codewize
07-19-06, 04:29 PM
This really isn't funny. These kids are our future. I see this type of thing all the time.

Wal-Mart story: I went to the little snack bar thing they have there and got some coffee or something. The change due was a couple dollars and $.90. The girl stood there for 5 minutes repeditly counting coins because she couldn't figure out how to make $.90. She ultimately gave me 9 dimes.

It's bad enough that the register has to tell them what the change amount is now we have to tell them how to make it.

True Story.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-19-06, 04:57 PM
i went to buy a snowcone for me and my girl which totalled to 4.50, i gave the girl 10.50. she sat there lookin very confused, turned to the other girl and said, "i need help", the other girl asked "wats goin on?", she replied, "i need to make change for this, he gave me 10.50. how much do i give him back?" the first girl asks, how much was the total? the total, yea how much was his total amount, i dont know, i intervened, 4.50, and i gave her 10.50 so its 6 dollars change

sad

Elvis
07-19-06, 05:24 PM
Yeah, you do that to supposedly make their lives EASIER, and it completely ruins their day.

I quit doing it at drive-thru windows even though I always have exact change in the coin holders.

Brett
07-19-06, 06:14 PM
i own a mortgage company in FL and was closing a loan last week for an out of state "investor". The closing was being held in NY where he lived and he asked me... "so after the closing will you fax me the keys or something?"

kali_cts03
07-19-06, 09:02 PM

THREE A lady at work was seen putting a credit card into her floppy drive and pulling it out very quickly. When I inquired as to what she was doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept asking for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM "thingy."...

When I used to work IT we would have a thing where everyone shares their stories.... got one similar to the one you mentioned where someone called in and said their cup holder was broken!!!

SpeedyArizona
07-19-06, 09:08 PM
It's ridiculous, if these kids are our future, I want to be dead and gone:worship: !

I was once at the grocery store buying a few items and this teenager was talking with what looked to be his girlfriend. I put my items on the beltway and the total amount was $47.28. I gave him two $20's, one $10, and $2.28 waiting to get my $5 in change. He stood there with a blank expression on his face and then started couting with his FINGERS:thepan: ! I was laughing inside my head and decided to let him worry about him, I didn't feel like helping:D. So he slowly reached in the cash drawer and pulled out 4 one dollar bills, 1 quarter, four dimes, one nickels, and seven pennies (no bs here). The exact amount was $4.77. Finally I intervened and told him that I needed $5 in change and guess what....he gave me 5 one dollar bills:rant2: !

And these people will be our doctors, lawyers, tax attourneys (haha), and scientists!

kali_cts03
07-19-06, 09:12 PM
It's ridiculous, if these kids are our future, I want to be dead and gone:worship: !..........

With all the shit that's happeining all around us, you might get your wish soon enough.... :(

I don't watch the news or read the news since it's almost all bad, but so many people are talking about it you bound to hear a little here and there.... :eek:

JimHare
07-20-06, 07:05 AM
It is my opinion that ever since the American Public School/Educational Establishment decided that 'grading' children on their ability led to lower self esteem, and was therefore not to be emphasized, our standards have fallen dramatically.

If Johnny can't read, dammit, don't tell him, "That's all right, we're sure you have other qood qualities that make you special.", teach him to READ!

I recently went to a graduation ceremony where EVERY child was given a "special achievement award".

My soon-to-be-daughter-in-law, at 21, has the language skills of a fourth grader, because she suffered through the public school system. I have to help her with her college papers, because her grammar skills are so poor - and the sad thing is, she's not alone.

I also find it alarming that so many people 'celebrate' their ignorance and proclaim it a badge of honor - that somehow they've successfully resisted the attempts by 'the man' to become educated.

dp102288
07-20-06, 07:57 AM
My soon-to-be-daughter-in-law, at 21, has the language skills of a fourth grader

Make sure your son doesn't see this!

codewize
07-20-06, 08:18 AM
It is my opinion that ever since the American Public School/Educational Establishment decided that 'grading' children on their ability led to lower self esteem, and was therefore not to be emphasized, our standards have fallen dramatically.

If Johnny can't read, dammit, don't tell him, "That's all right, we're sure you have other good qualities that make you special.", teach him to READ!

This is exactly the problem I say it all the time. Everyone is worried about self esteem. Same as in school sports. Win or loose you go for ice cream after the game, well don't you think that tells the kids, what's the point in trying, I'm going to get the prize anyway. You hit the nail right on the head.

Here in NY it's even more ridiculous with the regents crap. When I was in school the regents diploma meant that you were an overachiever. Well the state decided that we wanted to be special and everyone had to get a regents diploma. The only problem with that it they lowered the passing grade for regents to 60. So if you learn 60% of what you're taught in high school you get a regents diploma. Well doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose you morons? So now everyone has a regents diploma because we made the passing grade so low that a parrot could get one.

I recently went to a graduation ceremony where EVERY child was given a "special achievement award".

My soon-to-be-daughter-in-law, at 21, has the language skills of a fourth grader, because she suffered through the public school system. I have to help her with her college papers, because her grammar skills are so poor - and the sad thing is, she's not alone.

I also find it alarming that so many people 'celebrate' their ignorance and proclaim it a badge of honor - that somehow they've successfully resisted the attempts by 'the man' to become educated.

I feel the same. I have 3 step children all graduated from high school with good grades and not one of them can tell me how many quarts are in a gallon and all of them have terrible grammar skills. If I have to correct them for using the phrase 'those ones' one more time I'm going to scream. Sad sad sad

Elvis
07-20-06, 08:46 AM

WHOA!!!

That was downright PROFOUND! :thumbsup:

slk230mb
07-20-06, 09:47 AM
i own a mortgage company in FL and was closing a loan last week for an out of state "investor". The closing was being held in NY where he lived and he asked me... "so after the closing will you fax me the keys or something?"

hahahahahahahahahahaha :histeric:

Rey Rey 650
07-20-06, 11:37 AM
I've met a few 15-17 yr old kids who dont know how to read time on a mechanical clock... Only on a digital clock.

EcSTSatic
07-20-06, 11:44 AM
I've met a few 15-17 yr old kids who dont know how to read time on a mechanical clock... Only on a digital clock.

Yeah, phrases like " a quarter till" and "half past..." are disappearing from our language in the digital age even though analog still exists. It's that nintendo mindset I think.

kali_cts03
07-20-06, 11:55 AM
Another one I remember was a person called in IT and said they can't turn the computer on.... long story short... when IT asked for the serial number the person said they need to get the flashlight for the power is out in their area.... !!!! :thepan:

It's kinda funny how grown people are these days..... :shocked2: .... well maybe not that funny.... :eek:

davesdeville
07-20-06, 01:31 PM
Blah blah blah, yeah BOO kids.

I don't know what America you're living in Jim et al. but I was most definately graded in every class in which I was enrolled.

You know what guys? Every generation has it's morons, yours included. It just seems like my generation has more, because some of the morons from your generation have succumb to natural selection by now.

codewize
07-20-06, 03:58 PM
When I said morons I was referring to the state educational dept. And sure they're all graded but what do you need to pass? 60% 60 doesn't constitutes a regents diploma in my book. It shouldn't even count for a general diploma.

Oh lets see. We can't seem to get the kids to learn so lets lower the requirements so everyone seems smarter. That's what I see.

Blah blah blah, yeah BOO kids.

I don't know what America you're living in Jim et al. but I was most definately graded in every class in which I was enrolled.

You know what guys? Every generation has it's morons, yours included. It just seems like my generation has more, because some of the morons from your generation have succumb to natural selection by now.

Elvis
07-20-06, 04:02 PM
When I said morons I was referring to the state educational dept. And sure they're all graded but what do you need to pass? 60% 60 doesn't constitutes a regents diploma in my book. It shouldn't even count for a general diploma.

Oh lets see. We can't seem to get the kids to learn so lets lower the requirements so everyone seems smarter. That's what I see.

Don't bother. We've been down this road before. ;)

JonCR96Z
07-20-06, 04:48 PM
The system maybe be bad, but parents are the problem.

Elvis
07-20-06, 05:10 PM
Stupid people tend to have more kids than smart people. Eventually you reach a breaking point where the stupid people control everything. Not sure exactly when that happened.

black93sts
07-20-06, 05:24 PM
:rolleyes:

All you old timers bashing on my generation need to remember one thing - it's the PARENTING. Not the schools - my school was as hard as your school was, plus we probably had to know how to do more things than you dinosaurs did. Hell, you guys probably did addition on the chalk board - here we are having to do advanced algebra/geometry AND we have to know how to use computers. I know PLENTY of old people who don't even know how to use computers/cell phones/ etc.

And there will always be dumb people in every generation. For example - look at our President - he's certainly not from my generation.:rolleyes:

But back to my point - it's the PARENTING - that means YOU GUYS! Good parents don't let their kids wind up as morons. Public Schools have nothing to do with it - I graduated from a public school (in Arkansas of all places) and I was accepted to prestigious colleges like Tulane, Vandy, Duke, etc. It's parents that make their kids do their homework and tell them that they're doing a bad job when they're doing a bad job.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-20-06, 05:25 PM

i hate this just as much as i hate someone who celebrates being addicted to a drug, like when i say in an obviously negative tone "damn your a pothead" and they reply with a smile and a "heeeelllll yea!"

OffThaHorseCEO
07-20-06, 05:28 PM

All you old timers bashing on my generation need to remember one thing - it's the PARENTING. Not the schools - my school was as hard as your school was, plus we probably had to know how to do more things than you dinosaurs did. Hell, you guys probably did addition on the chalk board - here we are having to do advanced algebra/geometry AND we have to know how to use computers. I know PLENTY of old people who don't even know how to use computers/cell phones/ etc.

And there will always be dumb people in every generation. For example - look at our President - he's certainly not from my generation.:rolleyes:

But back to my point - it's the PARENTING - that means YOU GUYS! Good parents don't let their kids wind up as morons. Public Schools have nothing to do with it - I graduated from a public school (in Arkansas of all places) and I was accepted to prestigious colleges like Tulane, Vandy, Duke, etc. It's parents that make their kids do their homework and tell them that they're doing a bad job when they're doing a bad job.

hes got a point, tv and entertainemnt plays a huge roll in the dumbing down of americas society, but parents are the ultimate cause for not restricting exposure to these factors

Elvis
07-20-06, 05:47 PM

Clearly, you are NOT one of the people we're talking about! :thumbsup:

There were stupid people 30 years ago too. Like I said, they tend to reproduce at an alarming rate.

EcSTSatic
07-20-06, 06:35 PM

You're kidding right? We were doing advanced algebra/geometry before you were born and before calculators were available to give you the answer.

The computing comment is just plain silly. You grew up with them - it is a way of life. Remember that when you are older and some new technology develops that you have no experience with. Yes, it can be learned, my 80 father-in-law lives on his PC. Can you function with a slide rule? How about an abacus? Get the point?

As for Bush, he is a Yale graduate

black93sts
07-20-06, 08:04 PM
As for Bush, he is a Yale graduate

I know that. Doesn't mean he's not clueless though. Liberal Arts Degrees don't impress me either. A BA in history from Yale is well...a BA degree.

My point with Bush is that all of you are generalizing about people in my generation saying that we're "stupid," "clueless," "brainwashed," etc. and you play like you're all perfect.

Fact is, we're more technologically advanced, have more awareness of the world around us (i.e. how many of you even knew Iran existed when you were my age, or knew what Islam was, etc.) Many of us are bilingual too.

We've had to go through a HELL of a lot more than you all too - growing up with fears of terrorism, not being able to play outside because of child molesters, having to grow up in a world infested with Japanese cars:stirpot: , etc.

Can you function with a slide rule? How about an abacus? Get the point?

Easily. Again, you assume that younger = stupid. Bad assumption. Fact is, unlike old people, I'm not "stuck in my ways." Your 80 year old father-in-law is an exception to the rule. When I worked for Cingular, I couldn't believe how dumb people from your generation are. I mean, simple stuff. They were uber-ignorant, and they'd almost always blame "the cell phone" like it was conspiring against them:thepan: , and of course they'd get all defensive when I asked them if they'd ever even read the instruction manual...

EcSTSatic
07-20-06, 08:31 PM
Easily. Again, you assume that younger = stupid. Bad assumption. Fact is, unlike old people, I'm not "stuck in my ways." Your 80 year old father-in-law is an exception to the rule. When I worked for Cingular, I couldn't believe how dumb people from your generation are. I mean, simple stuff. They were uber-ignorant, and they'd almost always blame "the cell phone" like it was conspiring against them:thepan: , and of course they'd get all defensive when I asked them if they'd ever even read the instruction manual...

You need to engage some logic here. Nothing I said "assumed younger = stupid". Your name calling (dinosaurs) and statements about not knowing higher math caused the rub. I said that you are more likely to comprehend things you are brought up with, whatever the generation. You made the generalizations. If you need to go that route, for every task you claim a dinosaur (in your words) can't do I can point out one that a young person can't do. I'm willing to accept that either side would be grossly exaggerated.

codewize
07-20-06, 08:59 PM
Yeah I have to agree with EcSTSatic. I'm going to be 40 and we did plenty of Trig, Advanced Algebra and for some reason we have computers in school. We actually had a computer lab full of Fraklins and Apples II's. Incidentally I ended up pretty much teaching the class. I learned to program in Cobol and Fortran in 10th grade.

I also agree that the parents are a large sum of the problem when it comes to discipline. However it IS the schools job to educate our children and I personally think they're doing a piss poor job.

I'm not saying that everyone is a moron but how can you let a child graduate when they don't have basic 4th grade knowledge or common knowledge for that matter. It seems that they skip all of the things we take for granted. Things we just know because we learned them so early in school they couldn't tell you.

Ask your teenager how many planets are in out solar system. Then ask them to name them. 6th grade science? Or how many stars are on our flag. Go ahead and see what they say.

SpeedyArizona
07-20-06, 09:33 PM
Most teenagers care more about their social life than their education. You might be the "cool" kid in school but once you get into the real world, it means nothing. I don't think they realize this yet and most are in for a suprise that can easily hurt them.

They count on technology to do there work for them, I doubt half even know how to use an encyclopedia. Most don't read books, they wait for the movie version. They spend time chatting on AOL and trying to climb the social latter instead of getting an honest job.

Don't give me that BS, I don't blame the parents or the teachers; I blame the students! If you have the will to learn, you will no matter how good or bad your parents are. If you could care less about getting an above-average GPA, then you won't simple as that! Have you heard the stories of different kids you've lived in broken homes and yet have been accepted to Harvard/ Yale/ Notre Dame etc? Don't blame the parents, it isn't there job to maintain decent grades, it yours!

Florian
07-20-06, 09:49 PM

Its the PC b.s. that screwed us. In the old days when you screwed up as a kid, you got a spanking. Now, the kid tells the principal he got spanked, and the parent gets arrested. Its fooking rediculous. Last time I checked, parents were supposed to raise kids, not Uncle Sam. Regarding grades...the tools are there if you want to apply/use them. Kids today are too involved with image/status. Its very apparant which kids today are the bright ones...the ones that may not look the coolest, dress the hippest...they just get the job done. However, IMO, too many baby boomers were on the hippie lettuce when the rules were being made for my generation...its just frustrating to watch society circle the drain...

F

Elvis
07-20-06, 09:51 PM
I knew all about Iran when I was 14. There was this bad ass they called the Ayatollah.

The current leader of Iran was part of a team of terrorists who captured our embassy and held a large group of our people hostage for over a year.

Terrorism is nothing new. It's cyclical.

Ask these kids to identify a picture of FDR. They can't. Nixon? No way. Not even Tony Blair. They don't have a clue what's going on in THEIR OWN WORLD today--all they know is what Kurt Loder or Tabitha Soren or somebody else on MTV told them to believe.

Florian
07-20-06, 09:54 PM
I knew all about Iran when I was 14. There was this bad ass they called the Ayatollah.

The current leader of Iran was part of a team of terrorists who captured our embassy and held a large group of our people hostage for over a year.

Terrorism is nothing new. It's cyclical.

Ask these kids to identify a picture of FDR. They can't. Nixon? No way. Not even Tony Blair. They don't have a clue what's going on in THEIR OWN WORLD today--all they know is what Kurt Loder or Tabitha Soren or somebody else on MTV told them to believe.

Elvis,
youre showing your age....I think KL and TS are the edge of our MTV years...remember Nina Blackwood??? Thats old school. TRL is what kids today remember.

F

EcSTSatic
07-20-06, 09:59 PM
Fact is, we're more technologically advanced, have more awareness of the world around us (i.e. how many of you even knew Iran existed when you were my age, or knew what Islam was, etc.) Many of us are bilingual too.

We've had to go through a HELL of a lot more than you all too - growing up with fears of terrorism, not being able to play outside because of child molesters, having to grow up in a world infested with Japanese cars:stirpot: , etc.

Oh, and this is good. You think any of this is new? We were more technologically advanced than our parents too. And of course every kid today knows about Viet Nam I'm sure. Islam? We had the Cold War, the Israel/Arab conflicts, hijacking and so on.
Child molesters, terrorism...new? I think not. You're breaking my heart kid.

JimHare
07-20-06, 11:16 PM
Whew....did I start all of this back and forth?

I never meant any disrespect to today's young people - if you'll re-read my post, I blamed the Educational Establishment. It's they who relaxed the 'rules' on intelligence, and made it so that virtually any breathing soul graduates from high school. My parents were/are Senior High and College professors, (both Doctorates, both published) and I've spend a good deal of my time in the last 20 or so years in part-time academia, so I kinda know of that which I speak.

Arguing whether or not today's kids have it tougher in school than we did 20 or 30 years ago is rather pointless. It doesn't address the problem.

The problem is that teachers today are not rewarded for producing intelligent students - they're rewarded for making sure that they all advance to the next grade, and don't kill anyone in the process.

Mediocre teachers, over-paid administrators, and parents who, for whatever reason, will not accept the truth about their children are all to blame. When I see misspellings, errors of logic, and poor English on the TESTS I see my child bring home, I know it's not HIS fault. Those mistakes I just mentioned are in the QUESTIONS and INSTRUCTIONS for the test, not his answers.

Anyone remember Ebonics? The furor that situation raised has not really subsided. It was an attempt to justify ignoring the generally accepted rules of English Language and Grammar in order to placate, or mollify, certain classes of people who chose not to follow them.

There are certainly very bright kids these days. In fact, I'd wager that the brightest of them are probably brighter than the brightest of my day - or any other.

The problem is that the number of bright kids is falling in relation to the overall population. The "dumbing down" of America,or society in general, is not a myth.

Standardized tests routinely show that American kids, by and large, score barely above average when compared to most European and even third-world students in the same age and grade brackets.

But it's not the kids' fault - it's the system they are condemned to labor in, the American Public School morass.

JonCR96Z
07-20-06, 11:40 PM
Have you heard the stories of different kids you've lived in broken homes and yet have been accepted to Harvard/ Yale/ Notre Dame etc? Don't blame the parents, it isn't there job to maintain decent grades, it yours!

Yeah sure, but it's not a common occurrence. Besides, this thread isn't about getting good grades. It's about having some common sense. Something that isn't taught, it's passed down.

JimHare
07-20-06, 11:43 PM
I felt this post needed some specific answers, so I'll attempt. Disinterested parties may skip over....

First off, some of the old timers 'bashing' on your generation are all of 25. I don't think this can be, or even should be, reduced to a generational argument. That's not the point.

Your next argument about having to do more things than we did holds no water - I was of the generation that did ALL of our math problems on paper - we weren't allowed slide rules, or them newfangled calculators. About the only thing you have more of to learn is about 35 years worth of history. We did 'highly advanced' algebra and geometry too - if I recall, that last subject had been discovered sometime even before I went to school... :)

And don't even bring computers or cell phones into this - first off, I started using computers in the 1970s, and have booted up everything from a PDP to an IBM 4300 to an MVS mainframe - I was writing JCL before most of you were born, and I've probably built, torn down, and rebuilt more computers than you've ever seen. The fact that you know plenty of old people who don't know how to use computers is a moot point - knowing how to 'use' a computer (e.g., turn it on and log into MySpace, for many people) is hardly a measure of intelligence or ability.

No, but perhaps Ashton Kutcher and "Clerks II" are... poor argument again. You can't bring yourself up by pointing out deficiencies in others.

What if the parents themselves don't know the child is doing a bad job? Even the best (intentioned) parents sometimes can't help the academic situation their child is in - attendance being mandatory, property taxes being onerous, and relocation and/or private school being expensive, most parents have little choice but to keep their kids in their local public school. Every study ever done has shown significant differences in public school academic quality that are related to only one thing - the income and wealth of the surrounding demographic. Spending per student has no relationship, and in many cases, the highest costs are among the lowest quality.

Besides, how much weight can a parent's argument carry when the child brings home stars on his homework, that are not deserved? How do you tell a "B+" student that his actual work is barely intelligible? That's my argument - when substandard or even mediocre work is graded as "outstanding", how can the parent convince the student that s/he is NOT?

Johnny: "Look Ma, I got an "A" on my paper!"

Ma: You got 6 out of 10 wrong! How can that be an "A"?

Johnny: They graded on the curve - most kids got 8 out of 10 wrong!

black93sts
07-21-06, 12:19 AM
No, but perhaps Ashton Kutcher and "Clerks II" are... poor argument again. You can't bring yourself up by pointing out deficiencies in others.

What if the parents themselves don't know the child is doing a bad job? Even the best (intentioned) parents sometimes can't help the academic situation their child is in - attendance being mandatory, property taxes being onerous, and relocation and/or private school being expensive, most parents have little choice but to keep their kids in their local public school. Every study ever done has shown significant differences in public school academic quality that are related to only one thing - the income and wealth of the surrounding demographic. Spending per student has no relationship, and in many cases, the highest costs are among the lowest quality.

Besides, how much weight can a parent's argument carry when the child brings home stars on his homework, that are not deserved? How do you tell a "B+" student that his actual work is barely intelligible? That's my argument - when substandard or even mediocre work is graded as "outstanding", how can the parent convince the student that s/he is NOT?

Johnny: "Look Ma, I got an "A" on my paper!"

Ma: You got 6 out of 10 wrong! How can that be an "A"?

Johnny: They graded on the curve - most kids got 8 out of 10 wrong!

Ashton Kutcher isn't the leader of the free world though. And he's obviously smart enough to have made it to where he is today.

Comparing entertainers who act dumb intentionally to make people laugh with a President who makes people laugh because he's got such awful grammar (so much for that Yale education) and is so out of touch with the American public is hardly a comparison.

Ashton Kutcher isn't the one sending people of my generation to die in some Arab hellhole.:thumbsup:

As for public education, you're grossly exagerating the situation. Fact is, you won't get a diploma unless you make the grades. And while everyone may receive a curve or two in their lives, nobody gives out curves on every assignment.

And don't even act like everyone from your generation had it so hard with their "slide rules" and no calculators. I'm sure you had plenty of people who rode the "short bus.":rolleyes:

SpeedyArizona
07-21-06, 12:39 AM
I can already smell a lock on this thread so I'm going to throw in my $0.02. It's turning political and I want to defend my standpoint. I voted for the Iraq War and am still for it. I know we are doing a good thing over there, I've spoken to many GI's and they've confirmed that the situation is slowly improving.

Secondly, Bush is not as dumb as he looks. A smart man that has been the butt of Liberal-media jokes.

Don't even pretend to have a grasp on political issues, you're too young to understand it all (Hell, I'm too young).

There are too many young, liberal nuts out there today. They don't know anything and are protesting for things they can't comprehend. I blame this on our Liberal media and colleges.

Ok, my rant is done.

JimHare
07-21-06, 01:00 AM
Ashton Kutcher isn't the one sending people of my generation to die in some Arab hellhole.:thumbsup:

I'll certainly agree with you there. GWB (and Kerry, for that matter) were barely C students at Yale, both probably only got there because of their connections/fathers/money, and GWB is one of the biggest dolts to hold office since..well, all the other dolts..

As for public education, you're grossly exagerating the situation. Fact is, you won't get a diploma unless you make the grades. And while everyone may receive a curve or two in their lives, nobody gives out curves on every assignment.

Well, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there. American SAT scores have been declining steadily for over two decades. Schools routinely 'cook the books' on their standardized tests so as to not miss out on feeding from the public ("No Child Left Behind") trough.

And don't even act like everyone from your generation had it so hard with their "slide rules" and no calculators. I'm sure you had plenty of people who rode the "short bus.":rolleyes:

Again, I didn't say we had it hard - I said that it was illogical of you to denigrate MY generation as though we never had to study algebra and geometry, or to claim, seemingly, that your generation is smarter because you know how to operate computers and cell phones.

70eldo
07-21-06, 02:28 AM
Oh man, I had a good laugh about your stories! But on the other way it is very sad as well.

When I was in the US for flight school, I was asked where I was from at a Subways. I told the girl I was from Holland and she asked me what car I drive. I pointed at my 70 Eldorado and she asked me if I drove all the way from Holland to Arizona... She said she was not a star in geography...

black93sts
07-21-06, 08:12 AM
Oh man, I had a good laugh about your stories! But on the other way it is very sad as well.

When I was in the US for flight school, I was asked where I was from at a Subways. I told the girl I was from Holland and she asked me what car I drive. I pointed at my 70 Eldorado and she asked me if I drove all the way from Holland to Arizona... She said she was not a star in geography...

Maybe she thought you took a ferry?:thumbsup:

I can already smell a lock on this thread so I'm going to throw in my $0.02. It's turning political and I want to defend my standpoint. I voted for the Iraq War and am still for it. I know we are doing a good thing over there, I've spoken to many GI's and they've confirmed that the situation is slowly improving.

Secondly, Bush is not as dumb as he looks. A smart man that has been the butt of Liberal-media jokes.

Don't even pretend to have a grasp on political issues, you're too young to understand it all (Hell, I'm too young).

There are too many young, liberal nuts out there today. They don't know anything and are protesting for things they can't comprehend. I blame this on our Liberal media and colleges.

Ok, my rant is done.

I'm not a liberal, BTW - I'm a Libertarian.

While I know that sometimes he just acts dumb (why I don't know)
maybe to connect with his "voter base." It still doesn't change that Iraq is dumb. I'm not going to make it too political, but there's a reason why pretty much everyone in the world but us and the U.K. are against the war.

And us going over there to "remove a tyrant and install a democracy" is well - that just sounds like a silly reason. I mean, we COULD have just gone to Haiti if we wanted to install a democracy to make us feel good about ourselves...But I guess Haiti doesn't have any oil.:eek:

Elvis
07-21-06, 09:22 AM
My father did the Haiti thing back in the early 60's when he was in the Navy. I think we've interfered down there twice in the past 50 years. It doesn't seem to do any good.

Which leads us to the question, if we can't fix a banana republic, what makes them think we can fix something on the scale of Iran or Iraq?

Just an observation.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-21-06, 10:02 AM
My father did the Haiti thing back in the early 60's when he was in the Navy. I think we've interfered down there twice in the past 50 years. It doesn't seem to do any good.

Which leads us to the question, if we can't fix a banana republic, what makes them think we can fix something on the scale of Iran or Iraq?

Just an observation.

this is a post initially about lack of common sense, and then about education, lets not turn it into a war/political post.

PAUL M
07-21-06, 10:24 AM
Heres my contribution;
We had a girl working on my trading desk. One day we decided we wanted pistaccio nuts to snack on. So we give her money and send her out to go get some.We tell her that we def. want white ones because the red ones get all over your hands and turn your fingers red. about an hour passes and she calls us up all frustrated.Yelling at us how she went to four diff. places and that they didnt have white ones only red and BEIGE!!!!!:bighead:

WTF?????

codewize
07-21-06, 11:07 AM
I'm not even going to comment on the political side of this discussion.

However, does anyone have teenagers? Did you asked them about the planets and the stars? And don't let them look on their Treo 650 for the answer either.

It is the kids responsibility to maintain the grades. It's the parent responsibility to teach respect and discipline. And the teachers responsibility to make sure they are teaching whats necessary not what's easy. I see kids learning things in high school that I learned in the 6th grade.

As I said, 10th grade we had a computer lab and learned programming and hardware. You know what they teach in school now. MS Word. That's fine and dandy but that should be reserved for business classes. Computer lab and computer classes should be about computers, not a single isolated office application.

And yes the SAT scores have been declining, so what do we do. Well we can't look bad to the rest of the country so we adjust the passing grade to maintain the same percentage of success. As previously mentioned, what's the point?

I bet they tell you there are 52 or 48 stars on the flag but at the same time I also bet they'll tell you what the latest version of iTunes is. Sad sad sad.

SpeedyArizona
07-21-06, 11:43 AM
And us going over there to "remove a tyrant and install a democracy" is well - that just sounds like a silly reason.

Maybe we shouldn't have gone into Germany to remove Hitler...

I see something that still amazes me, 10 or 11 year old kids on cell phones! I ddin't get one until I was nearly 18 but now parents shell out $40/ month for their kids to be able to socialize. I use mine mainly for my job and to occasionally call my family/ friends etc. I couldn't live without it but I'm sure some 11 year-old kid could.

Parents are too busy to make time for their kids, now they just buy their love. Johnny is getting a "D" in math, failing English, and passing Spanish....is there something wrong with that picture? Parents reward their kids for getting average, what the hell does that teach 'em? "If I go through my life and do everything mediocre, someone will pay me well", what a great mindset to have at that age!

It'll be a sorry world when these kids get into the workplace...

OffThaHorseCEO
07-21-06, 12:11 PM
i think ive posted this before but here goes again, i work at tommy hilfiger, and this girl who recently started working there was looking at one of the hats which has the tommy hilfiger wreath and crest

http://www.hortleeshabitat.com/images/TH-Den5.jpg

well she couldnt make out what it was cause it was very small so asked, "what is this anyways?"

i said "its a wreath and crest has a gryphon holding a sword in the crest with a crown on top of it and the wreath surrounding it"

she said "reef"
i replied "wreath w-r-e-a-t-h as in christmas wreath"
and she says "thats a word? i thought it was christmas reef"

she stayed quiet for a lil bit then i said,"kinda weird huh" and she said "what is?"
"a mexican just taught you some english"

anyways i see it all the time, when i was in high school i couldnt stand reading "with the class" id get in trouble for not "staying on task" cause i was 4 or 5 chapters ahead, the only reason i was so far ahead is because when they read aloud youd have the inevitable "t t th the" and reading sentences wrong and it just was so frutrating i didnt wanna deal with it so i read ahead.

also, my manager was telling me about our district manager, who had sent a memo explaining what each stores "pacific golds" were (specific goals)

also recently i was int he break area and noticed a box full of extension cords labeled "chords"

Elvis
07-21-06, 01:05 PM
she stayed quiet for a lil bit then i said,"kinda weird huh" and she said "what is?"

"a mexican just taught you some english"

LMAO!!! :histeric:

See, it's a good thing we require you people to learn the language before we let you become citizens. How else are our teenagers going to learn anything?

pacific golds

that one is side-splitting, pee on yourself funny.

I like it when people confuse the word 'parameter' with 'barometer' too.

JimHare
07-21-06, 01:44 PM
I'm not a liberal, BTW - I'm a Libertarian.

Hey, see that - I knew we were bros under the skin after all.

Roger MacBride, '76 - my first vote, and the first of EVERY VOTE to an on-the-ballot LP candidate, or a write in.

:thumbsup:

black93sts
07-21-06, 01:54 PM
Maybe we shouldn't have gone into Germany to remove Hitler...

Maybe not:rolleyes:

Speedy, that's a completely different scenario. Hitler had declared war on us and was going to conquer the whole of Europe.

Iraq was minding it's own business, and there were no fly zones so they couldn't have done anything if they wanted to. Granted, Sadam was a bad dictator, but don't act like he's the only one. Hell, if we wanted to remove a tyrant, we could have saved a WHOLE lot of gas money and just gone down to Cuba.:thepan:

SpeedyArizona
07-21-06, 01:59 PM
Hell, if we wanted to remove a tyrant, we could have saved a WHOLE lot of gas money and just gone down to Cuba.

Remember the Bay of Pigs? Well you probably don't since it was before our time, but you've read about it right?

Fiedel Castro isn't a horrible dictator, he doesn't kill his own people unlike Saddam (not Sadam). Cuba is an entirely different story...

gdwriter
07-21-06, 02:14 PM

Ok, my rant is done. My turn before this gets locked. I'm a registered indepdendent and a moderate, but I get so freakin' tired of seeing "liberal" used as a cuss word. It's an automatic reflex for the right wing.

Bush is probably not as dumb as his atrocious grammar makes him sound, but he freely admits his disdain for whom he considers eggheads. And he is famously lacking in intellectual curiosity (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-chait16jul16,0,4605120.column?coll=la-util-opinion-commentary). He knows what he thinks he knows and doesn't want to know anything more. That's not a good quality for any leader, but especially for a U.S. President when the world is, to put it mildly, going to hell in a handbasket.

Now, on the subject of dumbass people, I've found the generational discussions interesting. The schools aren't doing a good enough job (many are overwhelemed), the parents aren't paying close enough attention, and the kids aren't making enought of an effort to learn. There's plenty of blame to go around.

I taught an introductory advertising class at a community college for several years, and I was appalled at the poor spelling and grammar, not to mention outright sloppiness of some of my students. On homework assignments, I would mark up the spelling and grammar errors, but unless it was really bad, I didn't mark down their grades (I marked down grades for not answering the assigned questions). The homework assignements were only 10% of their course grade

But on the project (40% of their course grade), where they had to write a creative brief and then copy for a print ad and a TV commercial script, I did mark down for spelling and grammar. Those assignments could not be handwritten like some homework assignments were; they had to be typed, and since students had free access to computers at the school's library, they could use those if they didn't have their own computer (most of them did).

I made a point of telling them, both verbally and in the written assignment, to use the spelling and grammar tools of the word-processing software (there's no excuse for misspelled words when the software can correct it for you). I also told them to have someone else read their work before they turned it in since it's easy to miss your own typos (like using "from" when you meant "form").

I told them to treat the project like a business proposal; if you want a company to spend their money on your work, you better make damn sure it's done right. If you were spending thousands of dollars on an ad campaign, would you hire somebody who consistently called a cellular phone a "cellar phone" (one of my students actually did this)? On the project, I graded very hard for sloppy, lazy work.

The good news is probably half of my students took me seriously and turned in well-done, professional looking work. And even some of those who didn't, after seeing I meant business when they received poor grades on the creative brief, sucked it up and corrected most if not all of the difficiencies in their initial assignment (and I would raise the grade from, say, a D to a C). But Mr. Cellar Phone didn't even try, and I didn't hesitate to flunk him.

That's probably more than my two cents. Round it up to a nickel.

Edited: If you're really curious, I found Mr. Cellar Phone's creative brief with all of my corrections and comments. I gave him a D+. Reading it again, I was being generous. He deserved an F-.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

Elvis
07-21-06, 02:29 PM
I chalk up most of those errors to sloppiness more than ignorance. That's one of the reasons I am angered by it--people just don't give a damn anymore.

Which again points to parents more than poor education.

Of course, part of my education was a heavy emphasis on spelling and grammar. That was a long time ago in a school where the men wore black robes and white collars, and they would hit you with rulers and erasers and the backs of their hands...

I learned because they cared. They had a strange way of showing it, but they cared.

Elvis
07-21-06, 02:34 PM
Crap! I'm supposed to be WORKING right now!

:getaway:

SpeedyArizona
07-21-06, 02:46 PM
Of course, part of my education was a heavy emphasis on spelling and grammar. That was a long time ago in a school where the men wore black robes and white collars, and they would hit you with rulers and erasers and the backs of their hands...

Did we go to the same school:)? That's another problem in and of itself. Students NEED to be disciplined, not having someone "sit down and talk to you". Telling a kid about something they did wrong is like speaking to a brick wall....a very THICK brick wall:D! Talking doesn't get you anywhere now hitting them upside the head- that's an attention getter!

SpeedyArizona
07-21-06, 02:47 PM
Crap! I'm supposed to be WORKING right now!

I love multi-tasking. I have 3 windows up; one with CF, another with a property I'm trying to sell, and a write-up in Microsoft Word. The joys of slacking off at work:D.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-21-06, 03:01 PM
i hated that when i got to high school there were no more vocabulary tests, or spelling tests. everything was about analyzing literature and tryin to extract the idea that the writer was trying to convey, which is helpful dont get me wrong but it was on the most boring crap ever. i was a bad student, i was (am?) smart and i knew my stuff, but i got bad grades for not doing homework. one guidance counselor hit the nail on the head, he said i needed to be challenged and frankly i wasnt being challenged. homework was either a 100 or a zero, either you did it or you didnt, and in some of the classes all we did was go over last nights homework. everything they taught i had read on my own a couple of weeks before...

Elvis
07-21-06, 04:18 PM
I love multi-tasking. I have 3 windows up; one with CF, another with a property I'm trying to sell, and a write-up in Microsoft Word. The joys of slacking off at work:D.

I'm finished now. :D Just waiting to hear the results. And just my luck the people I'm waiting on have probably knocked off early for the weekend.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-21-06, 04:34 PM
elvis, off topic, but if i wanted to know if a certain building was for sale how would i find that out, would i need to visit a real estate agent, or a certain real estate agent (do they operate under territories) also how would i find out if there needs to be epa mandated cleanup associated with the building

davesdeville
07-21-06, 06:41 PM
First let me ask you all to keep politics out of this thread. I do not wish to see it closed because some of you can't let it go.

No, but perhaps Ashton Kutcher and "Clerks II" are... poor argument again.

I haven't seen Clerks II. (Is it even out yet?) However Ashton Kutcher and the original Clerks are funny. Yes it's lowbrow humor, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Ask your teenager how many planets are in out solar system. Then ask them to name them. 6th grade science? Or how many stars are on our flag. Go ahead and see what they say.

Nine: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. Fifty stars. And no, I didn't Google either answer.

Ask these kids to identify a picture of FDR. They can't. Nixon? No way. Not even Tony Blair. They don't have a clue what's going on in THEIR OWN WORLD today--

Actually we can, and we do know what's going on.

I really don't know what kind of morons you all encounter in your lives, but in my experiances it's very rare to find people who are that ignorant.

In short, I think you're all exaggerating quite a bit.

Elvis
07-21-06, 09:25 PM
I have absolutely NO IDEA what you're talking about! :histeric:

But if it were me, I would check my county property assessor's website. Larger metropolitan areas do this. You can key in the address of the property in question and get the owner's name and sometimes their contact info. From there I'd just call and ask.

As far as the EPA goes, I'm sure there's a local EPA field rep you could contact. Sometimes the state has an environmental conservationist who could fill you in.'

Now, why would you ask ME such a question?

JimHare
07-21-06, 10:14 PM
Nine: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. Fifty stars. And no, I didn't Google either answer.

Well, actually, there're ten now. A body larger than Pluto, with a moon of it's own, has been discovered (July 2005) a little more than twice as far out as Pluto itself. Hasn't been named yet, officially.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/29jul_planetx.htm

There is some debate among astronomers as to whether this object (and Pluto itself, for that matter) ought really be identified as planets - they both are so much smaller than the next planet up in size (Mercury?) and are in the Kuiper belt, and many astronomers would be more comfortabe identifying them as large asteroids..

Other than that, I'd tend to agree, with reservation, with much of what you say. We all tend to identify specific, random occurances as demonstrative of an entire group - or, worse, pass on anecdotal evidence as if it were gospel....

Maybe I'll do a little informal, random survey around town the next couple of days and see what I come up with....

black93sts
07-21-06, 11:21 PM
Maybe I'll do a little informal, random survey around town the next couple of days and see what I come up with....

And make sure you go to VARIOUS locations.:rolleyes:
In other words, don't just quiz McDonalds cashiers and Walmart greeters. While I'm not saying they're STUPID...but I'm saying that they probably have more practical knowledge than trivial knowledge (i.e. they may not know the 9 planets or be able to identify unimportant presidents:rolleyes: )

OffThaHorseCEO
07-22-06, 12:15 AM
oops, i thought i had read an earlier post by you about real estate and since you said you were waiting on results i assumed it was you. guess not, my mistake

OffThaHorseCEO
07-22-06, 12:17 AM
it was brett

Krashed989
07-22-06, 05:32 AM
You know what I found interesting? Almost ALL of the overacheivers in high school placed FAR below me in the college placement tests. What's interesing about that is that I was the absolute bottom of our class in high school. I was a huge slacker and I barely was even allowed to walk the line. What I would always do was just go out and have fun with my friends, and then do just enough work to make a D at the end of each quarter. Don't get me wrong, I could've been a straight A student, and I got straight A's for one quarter to make sure of it, but then I went back to slacking because I was able to have lot more fun that way.

Reading books and doing homework can teach you a lot, but the one thing that it fails to teach is the most important: common sense. You have to gain common sense through experience not literature. That's my theory on why these so called "scholars" are so freaking stupid. Well that or they're all smoking weed. LOL

dp102288
07-22-06, 07:38 AM
^^ It's the weed!

EcSTSatic
07-22-06, 08:33 AM
And make sure you go to VARIOUS locations.:rolleyes:
In other words, don't just quiz McDonalds cashiers and Walmart greeters. While I'm not saying they're STUPID...but I'm saying that they probably have more practical knowledge than trivial knowledge (i.e. they may not know the 9 planets or be able to identify unimportant presidents:rolleyes: )

They went through the same education system didn't they? I think that was the point of this discussion. :thumbsup:
Speaking of planets, anyone familiar with Holst's "The Planets Suite"? Great piece of work!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-22-06, 01:27 PM
One of the girls I worked with back at Nissan thought France and Italy were the same country :(

black93sts
07-22-06, 04:00 PM
They went through the same education system didn't they? I think that was the point of this discussion. :thumbsup:
Speaking of planets, anyone familiar with Holst's "The Planets Suite"? Great piece of work!

Exactly, they did go through the same education system. Doesn't mean they paid attention though.

That is the point of this thread - some are trying to say it's the public schools, etc. that cause this, but the ultimate root cause is yourself. If you don't pay attention, if your parents don't encourage you, you won't want to learn.

I really don't want to sound racist here (I'm just stating what I experienced when I was in high school) but usually the reason that private schools do so much better is because they're almost always white. Blacks generally don't value education nearly as much as whites (as a whole). There are definately exceptions, but when I was in school, the majority of the black kids would have rather been somewhere else - namely working and getting paid. They just weren't interested in learning about things that had no impact on their lives (i.e. about dead white presidents and how to analyze ancient literature from the U.K.). So, that is certainly part of the situation.

And I can certainly see it from their point of view. I mean, if I was black and nearly everthing taught to me was about white people (English literature, important white people in history, etc.) I wouldn't be very interested either.

Elvis
07-23-06, 09:15 AM
Well, it was fun while it lasted. Sorry, we'd better stop now.