: pre 99 N* water pump belt tensioner.

07-19-06, 12:56 PM
So do any of the aftermarket parts suppliers have that tensioner, or must I go to a dealer?
It's the one that bolts into tapped holes on the outboard side of the pump housing.

BTW for a temp fix, I drilled out the sholder stud, turned the pulley arms over, flipped the spring around the right way & bolted it back together.
Both pulley arms are identical, so both have the spring tab.

07-19-06, 03:47 PM
You can probably get it at http://www.rockauto.com or http://www.gmotors.com

07-20-06, 12:27 PM
I tried rockauto.com. They are one of my favorites, but they don't list the WP tensioner for 94-98's.
My local stores, NAPA & Advance Auto Parts also don't list it.
From what I have seen so far, GM changed the design in 99 to use long bolts through the pump housing into tapped holes in the tensioner bracket. The new style is all metal had has about twice the spring tension.

So far, my home rebuilt rig is working..

07-23-06, 11:12 AM
I ordered mine through a local NAPA store....$58.00.

07-23-06, 06:26 PM
I looked one up for my 95 seville sts and they have it! Also this brings up another question has anyone tried the new gates one

GATES Part # 38197
W.P. {Thermoplastic V-Ribbed 3 Grooved (52mm x 17mm x 15mm) / Hydraulic-No}

I have considered buying one!

07-24-06, 03:13 PM
The AC Delco part # is also 38197, GM # 89049315. I think gates uses Delco part#'s for some of their stuff. Rock Auto has it for $55.79, the Gates part is $50