: CD-Text and CD-Extra ?

ascariSTS
07-19-06, 01:52 AM
I was reading my NAV user manual.. when I came to types of CDs that STS can play, I found :

1- CD-Text
2- CD-Extra

I don't really know what are these CD types.. I looked them up on the internet and found out that :

CD-Text: you can put artist, album, track names...
CD-Extra: one audio track and another data...

tell you the truth I didn't understand both... i mean, Mp3 and Track tags are already read by the system... what is CD-Text all about?

I also read somewhere that you can put some graphics in the CD-Text...

Can anyone explain what are these and how can we use them ?

One more thing, CTS has a "Browse" function... I can put pictures in HTML pages and view them using it...

Can I do similar thing with STS?... or At least is there anyway I can see pictures I have in a CD on my monitor?

sorry for many questions :P

iametarq
07-19-06, 11:46 AM
CD-Text means you can have a CD Audio disc with "text" just like the type says on the CD...with that CD-Text enabled players will display the text generally Artist - Song Name. If you use Roxio / Nero Burning Rom to burn your audio CDs there is an option that says "Record CD Text" or something similar when you confirm the burning/recordig of the CD. It's a nifty feature. The only compact home systems i've seen that will read CD Text were made by Sony ... i don't think it ever became that popular but geeks like me tend to like that.

CD-Extra, i don't know what you'd ever really use it for except for maybe a powerpoint slide show on one part of the disc (data part) and background music (the cd audio part)...mostly useless in my opinion...especially in an C/STS NAV system. ;)

Cajonkev
07-21-06, 02:01 PM
Although you certainly can use this when burning your own discs CD-Text data is included on a fairly low number of commercial discs. Most do not even label it it as being on the disc so it is a hit or miss proposition.

CD-Extra is generally used as an inexpensive way to plus up a commercial CD with a photo montage or some other feature in addition to the audio tracks. It is generally meant for folks playing their discs in a PC and is transparent to most CD players.

It became fairly popular with College bands and other smaller artists as they could add some content for their fans without having to step up to a full DVD format.

ascariSTS
07-22-06, 11:59 PM
CD-Text means you can have a CD Audio disc with "text" just like the type says on the CD...with that CD-Text enabled players will display the text generally Artist - Song Name. If you use Roxio / Nero Burning Rom to burn your audio CDs there is an option that says "Record CD Text" or something similar when you confirm the burning/recordig of the CD. It's a nifty feature. The only compact home systems i've seen that will read CD Text were made by Sony ... i don't think it ever became that popular but geeks like me tend to like that.

CD-Extra, i don't know what you'd ever really use it for except for maybe a powerpoint slide show on one part of the disc (data part) and background music (the cd audio part)...mostly useless in my opinion...especially in an C/STS NAV system. ;)

I dunno maybe I didn't get the idea clearly but... when I play audio discs on my car, it displays the artist, album, and songs... is that a CD text type?

Oh,, I C... but can I put more than one powerpoint slide, with music in background... u know that would be really great :)

Although you certainly can use this when burning your own discs CD-Text data is included on a fairly low number of commercial discs. Most do not even label it it as being on the disc so it is a hit or miss proposition.

CD-Extra is generally used as an inexpensive way to plus up a commercial CD with a photo montage or some other feature in addition to the audio tracks. It is generally meant for folks playing their discs in a PC and is transparent to most CD players.

It became fairly popular with College bands and other smaller artists as they could add some content for their fans without having to step up to a full DVD format.

So Cd Text is kinda useless...

Oh,,, Yea I recall one of those band CDs... but does that means I can put photos using CD-Extra, and I can play it in STS?...

lol u know i really want to browse pictures in my display... I hope there is a way to do that... even If i have to use a DVD...

Jesda
07-31-06, 07:21 PM
CD-Text was a way for CDs to gain one of the features of MD. And yes, now its redundant.

CD-Extra content will not work in your STS.