: Ever wonder what happened to your lost love?

UNCLLUIE
07-18-06, 03:37 PM
So it's a couple of months that I traded in my 93 Fleetwood. Had her for so many years, I see a lot of reminders of her all the time. Pics of me on vacation, pics from nights out on the town, pics of all my friends from Europe who were always shocked at the sheer size of it. I wasn't handy enough to fix her myself, and while I loved her, I didn't feel she was enough of an automotive milestone to have a ground up restoration done. I'm tempted to run a carfax and see if she was sold at an auction or something, but I figure it's like a kid who's adopted, and I don't want to ruin it for whoever is happy to have her.

Anyone spot a Maroon 93 Fleetwood with a gold kit possibly running around Jersey? Tinted windows? If you bought one in the past three or four months, look for the hidden Rockford Fosgate amp in the trunk. It all looks dead stock, but there's a truckload of equipment in there - 10 speakers totally custom system.

I miss her.....

EcSTSatic
07-18-06, 03:58 PM
"Better to have loved and lost, than not to have loved at all". :hide:

Elvis
07-18-06, 04:02 PM
There are a couple like that in my past, but like you I decided it was best not to pursue. I might not like what I find, like the '64 Ranchero they pulled the motor out of within a week of buying it. Broke my heart.

One time I traded a car and almost a year later the new owner called me up to ask about it. I had left something in the glovebox with my name and number. He was about 100 miles away and the car had sat on a used car lot for something like 4 months before he got the salesman to price it right.

Before we got married my wife sold her '83 Volvo and a month later it turned up in her neighborhood. She put 178,000 miles on it and the new owner expected to get it up to 250,000. He paid about $500 more than she sold it for.

I still see my '90 Acura every now and then. It had topped 200,000 miles and the seats were ripped to shreds. When I gave it up it had almost 94,000 and had perfect interior.

Patrick7997
07-18-06, 04:24 PM
I sold my 82 Supra to a guy years ago, and then he moved to the house across the street, so I saw the car every day.... he kept it in very nice shape.

Reverse story, I was on a Harley rally last weekend, and I ran into the previous owner of my bike.... he seemed rather thrilled that it was still in mint condition, despite another 15K being added to the clock.... it was actually great to see him.

His new girlfriend said the same thing as Unclluie, "I've seen pictures of this bike, but I never thought I'd see the real bike!!!"

thebigjimsho
07-18-06, 06:36 PM
So it's a couple of months that I traded in my 93 Fleetwood. Had her for so many years, I see a lot of reminders of her all the time. Pics of me on vacation, pics from nights out on the town, pics of all my friends from Europe who were always shocked at the sheer size of it. I wasn't handy enough to fix her myself, and while I loved her, I didn't feel she was enough of an automotive milestone to have a ground up restoration done. I'm tempted to run a carfax and see if she was sold at an auction or something, but I figure it's like a kid who's adopted, and I don't want to ruin it for whoever is happy to have her.

Anyone spot a Maroon 93 Fleetwood with a gold kit possibly running around Jersey? Tinted windows? If you bought one in the past three or four months, look for the hidden Rockford Fosgate amp in the trunk. It all looks dead stock, but there's a truckload of equipment in there - 10 speakers totally custom system.

I miss her.....Well, I do miss my Accord coupe. It was a good car and it as well had a killer system.

My Accord was a Midnight Black Pearl that had just a subtle hint of blue mettalic flake under certain light. I was also a huge a/d/s/ fan. They had a special edition amp series that had an identical paint as the Accord.

Every shop I went to wanted to design a system their way with subs fixed toward the back of the trunk, taking away the folddown seats. I ended up going back to my old installer who happens to be a friend of mine who was becoming increasingly good with fiberglass and other materials.

I had 2 a/d/s/ P4100 amps mounted flush against the trunk wall. Unless you leaned all the way over, you didn't see them just opening the trunk. The only thing you could see was the 2 a/d/s/ RS10.2 subs builr in custom fiberglass enclosures built into each trunk corner between the bumper area and the wheels wells. Each pocket was shaped a little differently but that was evened out by the 2 enclosures. It looked more like a Honda factory option(if there ever were such a thing).

The Accord coupe had a component setup in the stock configuration. So an a/d/s/ 336is.2 component set was installed with 6.5" woofers in the doors and 1" tweeters in the factory location in the upper dash corners. Another set of a/d/s/ 6.5" seperates were in the factory 6x9 locations in the rear deck. The factory radio did not have good clarity but the cd portion of the Honda factory in-dash 6 cd changer was absolutely exceptional! So I had the whole system running off the factory head and high quality line level converters.

That system was so good, I could've taken it to soundoffs and placed respectably in the SQ competitions. It was by no means perfect but I'd heard plenty of high-end systems sound worse. And it was unbelievably stealth! There were 2 things that you could see were different looking in the car. The tweeters in the dash had the "raised nipple" grilles and there was a little bass knob mounted on the center console. Neither was noticeable.

And because I kept the fold-down seats, I could crank it for hours with the seats down and the breeze blowing in the car. The bass was great and the airflow kept it cool. Even still, I kept everything at 4 ohms and the gains well below 100%. That system was perfect.

My biggest regret was not showing it off more. When negotiating the price and financing on the V, we decided to use the Accord in trade. The Accord went in 2 days and, while I got the Koenig wheels off, I couldn't get the system out. I never even told the dealer about it. My biggest fear is that they inspected it and when seeing the stereo they ripped it out so they could sell it more easily.

I would love to find out who has it now and see how it's doing.

Spyder
07-18-06, 06:54 PM
My 'ol 68 Plymouth Sport Fury I ran into at a random spot two hundred miles from where I had given it away. The front end was shot, frame was tweaked, body was hell and interior was worse, so I yanked the motor and tranny out and gave it to a guy who had a four door Fury III. He put his frame under my body (wow...that sounds dirty..) and put a small block in it, a year later selling it to someone else in his family. I was at a Metallica concert in Sacramento and the guy that had it was in the same hotel as us. I saw the thing in the parking lot and went out to kick around and check it out...he must have been watching, because when I popped the hood to see what kind of work had been done to it, he came out to see what was up...I ended up giving him the whole history of the car and ownership and actually showed him the motor that was originally in it, as it was in my 60 D-100 that I was driving. He was driving truck and was actually leaving on a three month job and was taking it to the paint shop that same day to get it totally redone. I never would have recognized it, except for the license plate number, 4RAL821.

Similar story with a 59 Lincoln. Bought it for a few hundred bucks, drug it home, got it running, painted it, sold it for a lot more. Five years later, I saw it on a trailer in Redding, two hours north, at a car show with the same paint. The a-holes that had it were trying to sell it for upwards of ten grand, claiming it was some super rare model. Ya don't see 59's around very often, but it wasn't worth ten grand, or even two. They couldn't figure out the brakes, were always having trouble with them because they couldn't find parts, so I told them that we had done some parts swapping with an old dodge, which is why they couldn't ever make anything fit right. Never did see it again though, since then, and I really really doubt that it ever sold with that ridiculous price on it.

Spyder
07-18-06, 06:54 PM
My 'ol 68 Plymouth Sport Fury I ran into at a random spot two hundred miles from where I had given it away. The front end was shot, frame was tweaked, body was hell and interior was worse, so I yanked the motor and tranny out and gave it to a guy who had a four door Fury III. He put his frame under my body (wow...that sounds dirty..) and put a small block in it, a year later selling it to someone else in his family. I was at a Metallica concert in Sacramento and the guy that had it was in the same hotel as us. I saw the thing in the parking lot and went out to kick around and check it out...he must have been watching, because when I popped the hood to see what kind of work had been done to it, he came out to see what was up...I ended up giving him the whole history of the car and ownership and actually showed him the motor that was originally in it, as it was in my 60 D-100 that I was driving. He was driving truck and was actually leaving on a three month job and was taking it to the paint shop that same day to get it totally redone. I never would have recognized it, except for the license plate number, 4RAL821.

Similar story with a 59 Lincoln. Bought it for a few hundred bucks, drug it home, got it running, painted it, sold it for a lot more. Five years later, I saw it on a trailer in Redding, two hours north, at a car show with the same paint. The a-holes that had it were trying to sell it for upwards of ten grand, claiming it was some super rare model. Ya don't see 59's around very often, but it wasn't worth ten grand, or even two. They couldn't figure out the brakes, were always having trouble with them because they couldn't find parts, so I told them that we had done some parts swapping with an old dodge, which is why they couldn't ever make anything fit right. Never did see it again though, since then, and I really really doubt that it ever sold with that ridiculous price on it.

Benzilla
07-19-06, 12:17 AM
I still see my '96 Deville around town, and I wish I didn't. I always kept it so clean you could eat off of the paint(not that I'd ever let anybody), now it never gets washed, it has one of those looks where the front wheels are actually darker due to brake dust building up over months. When I sold it it was about 99% mint. not so anymore. scratches, dings, the leather is really starting to show it's age (I saw it in a parking lot). its so sad, I loved that car. She was Frost Beige with beige interior, when thats clean it glows. Plus there was one just like it on the Sopranos in one episode. (didn't see until after I sold it, damn) I also had a full Kenwood system in it, parts of which went to my '83 Coupe.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-19-06, 12:22 AM
I'd love to go find my old Roadmaster. The guy that bought it was a pastor at a church, so if I could find what church that is, I could go up there on a sunday morning and spot it, plus I could get my car next to his for some pics! But I did see another DCM Roadmaster in my town, so I parked next to it and took a photo.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/my_2_cars.jpg

I swear, if I ever see JPL099 (The Roadmaster) driving around again, I'm gonna follow it until they stop so we can talk about it. It'll probably creep the shit out of the owner, but it'll be funny as hell.

illumina
07-19-06, 12:26 AM
No, I still have all of the cars that I've ever liked.

Chad, what's with that parking job? :p :D

Benzilla
07-19-06, 12:27 AM
Wow, a guy that goes to my parent's church has one exacty like that, couldn't be the same one though.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-19-06, 12:29 AM
Chad, what's with that parking job? :p :D

I was hungry, and Chipotle was oh soooo close!

illumina
07-19-06, 12:34 AM
I was hungry, and Chipotle was oh soooo close!

Oh thank God! I was hoping you weren't there for 'Claire's' :p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-19-06, 12:40 AM
Oh thank God! I was hoping you weren't there for 'Claire's' :p

Hahaha no...although I knew a hot girl that works there... No, Chipotle is right next to Claires.

Sandy
07-19-06, 09:27 AM
I had a 1975 Imperial Crown Coupe, like this one, and sold it in 1982 to buy the then all new Imperial Coupe. When I sold it, the 1975 had 35,000 miles on it, and was 100% flawless, showroom quality. I sold it to a young girl, in her mid-20s. About a month after she had it, the strero went out. So, she puled it out & junked it & put in a Krayco Stereo from Pep Boys. About 6 weeks later, she took the car to a New York Yankee game. When watching the game, the Imperial was stolen. It was found a few days later, 440 V-8 totally gone, wheels & tires gone, sittin' on its belly with a rock on the front seat that had been thrown thru the windshield.
From show car, to the junk yard in 8 easy weeks!! No love!

When you sell them, you lose all control, they are gone 4-ever.
I'd assume this chick is today in a Toyopet Scion or a HonDUH UNcivic, which is exactly WHERE she belongs. Actually she's like 47 years old, so....she's probably in a POS Olds Bravada SUV with 3 kids jumpin' up & down !

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1975/adrian/side.jpg

slideoutinthescalade
07-19-06, 10:01 AM
"Between grief and nothing, I choose grief"

-Principle from Ferris Bueller

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-19-06, 08:47 PM
I had a 1975 Imperial Crown Coupe, like this one, and sold it in 1982 to buy the then all new Imperial Coupe. When I sold it, the 1975 had 35,000 miles on it, and was 100% flawless, showroom quality. I sold it to a young girl, in her mid-20s. About a month after she had it, the strero went out. So, she puled it out & junked it & put in a Krayco Stereo from Pep Boys. About 6 weeks later, she took the car to a New York Yankee game. When watching the game, the Imperial was stolen. It was found a few days later, 440 V-8 totally gone, wheels & tires gone, sittin' on its belly with a rock on the front seat that had been thrown thru the windshield.
From show car, to the junk yard in 8 easy weeks!! No love!

Oh man Sandy, I can't imagine how you felt when you heard about that. How did you hear of that by the way?

Sandy
07-19-06, 11:16 PM
A Cop I was friendly with, back then, told meabout it & give me photos he took of it. When I sold it, it was show quality concours perfect. 8 weeks later it was pull into a salvage yard.

70eldo
07-20-06, 10:17 AM
I bought 2 Cadillacs in the LA/Orange County area, CA in 1999. A dark green 1970 Eldorado and an apple red 64 Coupe DeVille. I needed to do some work on the axle bearing on the 64, so I left it at the workshop. I had to return to Holland for my flight school and a friend of mine was supposed take care of the shipping. He didn't... (he's on my blacklist!!!)
The towing company (Newport Beach) affirmed that he sold the cars after being in the lot for 72 days...

AAAAAAArgh!

Benzilla
07-21-06, 09:44 PM
Thats why people get their brake cables cut.

I hope you beat him lol.

ted tcb
07-21-06, 10:10 PM
Sandy, how was the EFI on the 82 bustleback coupe?
Did you convert it to a standard carb?

Sandy
07-22-06, 09:16 AM
The 81 82 & 83 were lemon dogs! The exterior was beautiful but the changes they made going from Cordoba/Magnum to Imperial, ruined the car. TRW was totally to bear the brunt of the blame. The digital dash that replaced ther C/M (Cordoba/Magnum) analog was faulty. The EFI also from TRW was also very faulty. You seem to know much about them. I bought the Brilliant Gold Metallic (1 of 149 in color) with Camel leather in 1982 (March) and sold it in May of 1983 ~ just 14 months old. When I sold it it was 100% original, the Dash had never gone out, and the EFI was working perfectly. I was also selling them, when I ordered it, so I soon (real soon) found out, as all the 1981 were coming in on tow trucks, and we could not fix them. What a mess! Chrysler had to engineer a fix. Talk about pissed off owner base ! So, I sold my "Goldenrod" dream car, and used my crappy demos for 3 years when I then ordered my pink Mark 7, (1986)which was a great great car. Then onto my current 1993 Sixty Special. Had the Lincoln for 7 years, sold it still waiting for "Problem # one" which never happened.....Still on original brakes, too. Just finally got tired of defending my desire to stick my tongue out at Mary Kay, by driving a Pink Lincoln, and then bought the dark purple 60 Special.
After I put her into storage (1998) with 8,500 on her odo, I bought a 1998 Mark 8 in Pearl White. Not half the car that the 1986 was, BTW..... and now finally the Town Car (2003), which to-date, has been the best car I've ever owned, bar none.

Jesda
07-22-06, 12:17 PM
1988 Mazda 929. It ended up in an ad for a used car lot, and sat there forever. I think they finally auctioned it.

Frost
07-22-06, 12:50 PM
My very first car(s) were a pair of 1963 Austin Minis. complete and total british crapola. Sold them and picked up a 1964 1/2 Mustang in Caspian blue, with a white interior. It was such an early rendering of this now legendary model, that it had the instrument cluster from the '64 Falcon in it!

Talk about rare, if I still had it I'd be a wealthy man. 3 speed manual, 6 banger. Loads of torque. It literally rotted right off it's tires with all the salt and crap they put on the roads up here. Sold it to a junker for 25 bucks. I kept the gear shift knob for sentimental value.

gdwriter
07-24-06, 05:03 PM
Rather than repeat a post in another thread, here's a couple of posts (and pictures) about the '64 Impala I grew up with:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge/80428-iroc-z-100-000-miles-baby-2.html#post759347

I still had a key to the car after my Dad sold it, and I used to see it on my way to my part-time job for a few months afterward. I was tempted on more than one occasion to steal it (or at least offer to buy it back). I once saw the guy's trailer-park-white-trash girlfriend behind the wheel puffing on a cigarette and felt Nellie had been defiled. :rant2:

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg