: Head gaskets on 1993 Allante Northstar

amyjosales
02-07-04, 02:29 PM
I have a chance to buy a 1993 Allante with the 4.6 Northstar engine at a really good price (I Think). Has 100,000 miles with busted head gaskets. I have read it can get really expensive working on Northstar engines. I was wondering if I would be better off, cost wise to replace whole engine with another used or rebuilt engine or just fix the gaskets on this engine. Does anybody have any good figures on cost of these options and which would be the best way to go.

zonie77
02-07-04, 09:21 PM
There are plenty of posts on head gaskets. From the dealer $2500 and up. You may find someone to replace them cheaper. You almost always have to timesert the block.
Again, look at the threads here for info. There are also threads on what year engines interchange and why.

Doug Jackson
02-08-04, 08:06 AM
You should replace an Allante engine with another Allante engine as the are different from the other car engines. The question is how much other damage was done when the head gaskets leaked? Could be bent rods and other interior corrosion. Unless you can buy this car for 7 to8K I would look elsewhere for a project, this can be a money pit. Doug J---own 2 Allantes

Allante North *
02-08-04, 03:06 PM
I think I know the one you are speaking of. I would be very leary of this one unless you can steal it. The parts alone may be worth more than the car, but then you would have to try to either fix or sell the parts. Read the guys feedback(it ain't good) and decide for yourself. Doug is right about replace the Allante engine with another Allante Northstar or one made in 1993 or 1994 as they change in 1995 and up and will not work without some serious $$$.

Good Luck either way.

PS: I would try to find a decent low mileage Allante(any year) with maintence history if you serious about an Allante. This one sounds like trouble.

botboy
02-10-04, 11:26 AM
If you do buy this, I have a timesert kit for sale $125 you buy the serts ($2.58 apeice, 20 total for a N*). Kit is over $250 new, all the tools are in nice shape and plenty of oil left.

botboy60 (at) hotmail.com if you are interested.