: lifting a northstar

denscor
07-18-06, 08:51 AM
What is the best way to lift the motor and put it on the cradle? i have heard that you can not lift the norhstar with the hoist like most engines!:thumbsup:

eldorado1
07-18-06, 09:49 AM
Why not? Just use the little loop on the rear, and the dogbone mount in the front. I think I had to grab another corner in the front so it wouldn't lean..

white97deville
07-18-06, 07:18 PM
Use the lift attachment at the rear and one of the engine mount bolts in the front side or an accessory hole in the front next to the timing cover. Should do just fine.

denscor
07-18-06, 08:09 PM
So basically it like lifting a small block Chev! Ok cool!!!!!!! was told you could miss things up lol

GreenMachine
07-19-06, 12:04 AM
some people get scared when they see how tight that sideways sitting V8 is and say it can't be done.

I've seen alot of people lift the top of the car up and drop it out below, be curious to know what the factory does to get it in there

zonie77
07-19-06, 04:31 AM
Lifting it IS harder than dropping the cradle. Unless you have some serious space constraint you should drop the cradle out the bottom.

mtflight
07-19-06, 01:34 PM
some people get scared when they see how tight that sideways sitting V8 is and say it can't be done.

I've seen alot of people lift the top of the car up and drop it out below, be curious to know what the factory does to get it in there

Factory drops the cradle.

ewill3rd
07-19-06, 10:09 PM
Seems like the original question (at least to me) was how do you set the engine in the cradle... I assumed that the cradle is out and our poster is trying to put the engine on the cradle for reinstallation.
I don't recall anyone trying to remove this motor out of the top before.
It's soooooooo much easier to drop the engine/trans/cradle out the bottom and then work from there.

Mountie
07-20-06, 02:54 AM
I removed my North* from the top myself.. Not too bad, if you have the time & patience to undo all the crap. I needed to move the car, so I needed the front end intact.
Drop the A/C to the floor - didn't have to dissconnect it.
Keep the front exhaust on, don't need to kill yourself removing it in there.

Get a yolk that has a lean-tilt-crank - ( helps to clear the tranny ) ..The engine will be nearly rubbing the passenger side strut tower when it is out of the bellhousing.

WATCH OUT FOR THE REAR FAN HOUSING/ RUBBER HOSE.....Get a long (40") pry bar......As the engine raises a tad, tilt the engine, to make the engine lean down at the rear( firewall), as you raise it up further..... The rear exhaust header sticks out, and you must tilt it downward to clear the firewall. In otherwords, raise the "front" up, as you work the engine toward the front /radiator area, as it comes up. It will barely clear the front body, but it will.
DON'T TAKE YOUR EYE OFF THE FAN HOUSING & RUBBER.....it's going to rub it....

Just realized.....If the '93 & '94 are exact....maybe your '95 is different? Not so close? Just be careful!

It takes 2 people to manuver it up, but it took only 10 minutes. & 2 cups of coffee.

Good luck, & try not to drain the power steering fluid.

CadiJeff
07-20-06, 03:34 AM
someone has to say it................................................ ..........................
USE THE FORCE
sorry

zonie77
07-20-06, 10:12 AM
ewill3rd,

I think you're right. I think Denscor has been working on an engine. Hard to keep things straight without actually meeting people.

Mountie
07-20-06, 11:38 AM
someone has to say it................................................ ..........................
USE THE FORCE
sorry

The 'force' won't help you here, but knowing someone who has small hands will help dissconnecting the harness, on the radiator / lower side of the block......2 crank speed sensors, etc. It helps to label, and note, which one goes where, when you try to plug them in. ( They look alike )

Watch your hands & wrists!!! Lot's of sharp edges.

eldorado1
07-20-06, 12:19 PM
cars demand a token blood sacrifice for any major project. It's a law.

denscor
07-20-06, 07:08 PM
Yes I need to know is it OK to lift it up with a engine hoist and place it on the cradle? Me and my buddy lifted it out of the truck because I was unsure if it would be damaged if I used the hoist.

white97deville
07-20-06, 08:11 PM
That is what I thought you were asking when I posted earlier...that you wanted to pick it up and put it back into the cradle to reinstall from the bottom.

You should have no problems doing this as long as you use good bolts and chains. Just watch everything as you lift. I had no problems when I lifted my NStar with the engine hoist.

ewill3rd
07-21-06, 07:26 AM
Like others have said, use the front dogbone mount slot with a bolt, and the rear hook, you should be fine.

jholland
08-04-06, 09:33 AM
I think i need to remove my engine. Is it possible or practical to remove it from the bottom without a commercial lift.

Mountie
08-04-06, 11:22 AM
I think i need to remove my engine. Is it possible or practical to remove it from the bottom without a commercial lift.

Get very tall jack stands & a very good floorjack. I have seen it done by raising the front of the car.

zonie77
08-04-06, 11:11 PM
jrholland,

Look in the tech tips for head gasket repair and you'll see how I did it. The front of the car is surprisingly light without the cradle. Mark99sts (I think) did it also and took better pictures than I did. You can lift from the radiator support if you reinforce it with a piece of 4x4 or Mark took off the bumper cover and used the support behind it. Other people used similar methods.

white97deville
08-06-06, 10:38 AM
I did this in a very similar way to what Zonie did. I differed in that I put a 6"x6" under each rear tire to raise the rear some so that the front could be raised slightly less. Not sure if it made any real difference but it did work and gave some addition ground clearance for disconnecting the exhaust system and O2 sensors.

netty
08-06-06, 01:04 PM
Hi, I am thinking of buying a '99 sedan deVille. Needs a new motor, by the sounds of things, it is quite a job eh? Any tips or hints you can give me? Thanks a bunch.............................Netty

white97deville
08-06-06, 01:40 PM
Hi, I am thinking of buying a '99 sedan deVille. Needs a new motor, by the sounds of things, it is quite a job eh? Any tips or hints you can give me? Thanks a bunch.............................Netty

It is a big job to R & R an Nstar motor just as any other motor. Pay close attention and do a lot of reading in these forums and you will find all the information that you need. You will also need a good manual from Helms.

What is wrong with the engine in the car you are looking at? Search the forums for similar problems and maybe you can buy it for a good price and repair it cheaply and have a good car for not too much $$$.

netty
08-06-06, 05:12 PM
Hi again, I haven't found out to much about it right now. I am going to inquire more on Tuesday. I was kinda thinking the same thing, maybe it is just something that won't cost big bucks or a new motor. What is the going price for labour to replace one? ..............Netty

netty
08-08-06, 02:36 PM
Hi, I have been doing a little inquiring into what's wrong with the motor, can't seem to get a straight answer from the mechanic. When I first inquired about the car, he said he thought it was a rad problem, put a new one in and then he said that wasn't the problem, motor was shot. Now, he also says that the fuel pump in the gas tank is gone. The lady who owns the car just left it at this mechanics garage because he told her the motor was gone and that it would cost between 10 to 12 grand to replace. So now I don't know really what's wrong with the darn thing. My hubby is calling around trying to gather info, maybe I should just but the car and bring it home and find another mechanic to check it out!! Other than this motor problem, the car inside and out is in great shape.
Talk at ya's later
Netty

zonie77
08-08-06, 03:13 PM
Possibly the head gaskets. The engine should come out to replace them because of the limited room. There are tons of threads about this. Look in tech tips for a long one with some instructions.

If you get it cheap enough it's well worth doing.