: Insurance Advice

07-17-06, 11:16 AM
My car was vandalized by some drunked idiots downtown when i was at a club. Long story short i have 2 7in circles in my windshield and dents in my hood and passanger door from rocks, and scratches all the way to the metal.
Insurance is going to pay for this to get fixed and all i have to pay is a $200 deductable. I really want to change my hood to the one that lassts has with the manifold. How can i use this insurance claim to get the modified hood?

Anyone have suggestions. We pull modifications out of thin air so i know all of these great minds on this forum can figure this lil problem out

07-17-06, 11:21 AM
Do you have any friends at bodyshops? Some insurance companies will let you take your car to a body shop of your choice if you request it, and then that body shop can hook it up. If the whole hood has to be painted then you could talk to the guys at the body shop and say you've been meaning to get this other hood, and maybe you should just do it now since it has to be painted anyway.

07-17-06, 11:26 AM
well first of all thats insurance fraud. the purpose of insurance is to get you back to the condition you were in before the incident, nothing more nothing less.

with that said, im sure OEM cadillac parts are expensive, maybe as expensive as aftermarket cadillac parts. so if your hood is being replaced anyways just find a shop that will buy the modified hood instead of the oem, if the price is about equal, you should be able to do some sweet talking. if the price of the modified hood is lower, tell the shop they can pocket the change if they do this for you. theyre gonna charge you the same amount to R&I a hood wether its OEM or not, and theyll charge you the same to paint it. just dont let the adjustor find out.

07-17-06, 12:32 PM
Hear in Florida, you can chose where to have your car repaired. I had to have my Mustang repaired and the aftermarket Cobra R hood and Cobra front bumper cover with correct lights, fog lights, etc cost less than OEM parts. Of course prep work must be done but so would OEM items as well.

07-17-06, 12:34 PM
And I would try to find out what the deal is with this drunk dude. Was he arrested? any Wintess, etc. If you can find he or she I'd at the very least sue for the 200 deduct. You will get it.

07-17-06, 12:51 PM
I'd at the very least sue for the 200 deduct. You will get it.

If he finds the person or persons to vandalized his car, they will most likely pay for the damages rather then going to court. Personally, I would never sue for anything less than a few thousand dollars, it really isn't worth the mess.

If the man takes responsibility for his actions while he was intoxicated, you will most likely settle out-of-court for the deductible. I've know different people that have gone to small claims court for smaller amounts like the $200. I believe if you threatened a lawsuit, he'd most likely just pay up and save a headache.

How can i use this insurance claim to get the modified hood?

As someone mentioned, it is fraud. Wherever you take the car to get repaired will make an estimate of the cost and send it to your insurance company, from there you would have to dibby up the rest of the money in able to get your modified hood. They would pay X amount of money to get the car back to it's original condition, from there you would pay X amount more to get the more expensive hood.

07-17-06, 01:00 PM
I've sued for less than 1600.00 Of course it wasn't the money, it was the principle. The principle was the money! I don't know if the guy was arrested or any info on that. If he or she is known I would hope the insurance company would subrogate if a conviction, etc were obtained. I doubt they will though.

07-17-06, 02:16 PM
All good points. You should be able to work out a deal on the difference of the cost of the hood you want.
I would take the jerk to civil court if there are witnesses. Make him pay for his actions! Unless there is more to the story than what is here.