: Heating Up

rgtplus3
07-16-06, 11:37 PM
I have a 98 deville. I had a leak in the water pump and have replaced it. NOw a few weeks later, my car overheats after driving 70-75 on the highway in about 10-15 minutes with the air conditioner on. If you turn the air cond. off it drops back down to 203. (It also runs fine with the air on at 60.) The fans seem to be running, I was wondering if this could be the tension belt?? I did flush the radiator and checked the purge line. Thanks for the help! ( My car has 138,000 miles on it.)

Ranger
07-17-06, 10:30 AM
Have you checked the tensioner?

rgtplus3
07-17-06, 04:21 PM
When I changed the water pump it seemed tight, is there a way to check it?

Ranger
07-17-06, 05:14 PM
Yeah, see the square hole in thye back side of it? Put the drive lug of a 1/4" drive breaker bar in there and move it back and forth to be sure that it is free. Might even squirt some oil on the fulcrum point and excersise it to work the oil in.

jss
07-17-06, 06:59 PM
rgtplus3, I see that you flushed the cooling system, but that's still how one acts when the radiator is stopped up. With coolant flushes I've had very good luck in preventing the radiator stopping up, but I've never had much luck in unstopping one.

krimson_cardnal
07-17-06, 10:11 PM
can the main serpentine tensiorer be test/checked the same way? i just replaced the waterpump tensiorer but am figuring these babies might need a work out once and a while to keep them up to form??

waddayathink

rgtplus3
07-17-06, 11:14 PM
I did replace the belt today and oiled the tensioner. I will drive it tommorow to see what happens. If it still heats up I am going to take the radiator off and have it cleaned.

jss
07-18-06, 09:30 AM
rgtplus3, just a note on the radiators. Because they are made from plastic and aluminum, rather than copper with lead solder, it is much more difficult to get the tanks to properly seal when putting them back together after having one rodded; meaning that it's very common for a radiator that's been rodded to spring a leak in subsequent weeks. I'm not sure what it's going to cost to have the radiator rodded, but do know that you can get an aftermarket replacement radiator for somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.

Good luck

rgtplus3
07-18-06, 11:12 PM
Thanks! I will check into it!

Ranger
07-19-06, 03:30 PM
can the main serpentine tensiorer be test/checked the same way? i just replaced the waterpump tensiorer but am figuring these babies might need a work out once and a while to keep them up to form??

waddayathink
Yes, but that one requires a 1/2" drive breaker bar.

krimson_cardnal
07-19-06, 04:15 PM
these are the little routine items that need to be tweeked.

used to be that i would pop the lid and fiddle around with all those items that needed to be fiddled with. somewhwere along the line - bam - it all seemed to go away. vehicles you NEVER needed to fiddle with,

some how i knew better.

thanks Ranger. gonna fool with that doobie now... move it or loose it.

rgtplus3
07-23-06, 11:00 AM
It was the belt tensioner!! I replaced it and it has not overheated since!! The part was $58.00.