: Who makes the best full size trucks; Ford, Chevy or Dodge?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-16-06, 01:55 PM
I always liked Ford trucks the most, but since I started at the Chevy dealer on tuesday, Chevy's full size trucks have really started to grow on me, Especially the 1988-98 models. The 88-98 Silverado never looked AS good as the 92-96 F-150 to me, but it's got a lot more modern interior and a "better" drivetrain, especially the tranny, plus you could still get the 454 in the 2500 and 3500 series up until 2000, and Ford got rid of the 460 in '95, and IIRC, that was only used in the heavy duty F-350's. So basically, the '92-'96 F-150 is a better looking car, but the Silverado (especially the '95-98 models) were probably the better daily driver. I'm not too sure where the Ram fits in either, probably below the Chevy or Ford.

What do you guys think?

LittleB
07-16-06, 02:08 PM
My man used to be a Chevy man all the way...for years and recently he has gotten into the Fords....

DILLIGAF
07-16-06, 02:13 PM
My dd is a 97F150,I had issues with it the first year,since then its been perfect.170,000 miles and counting,all power equipment is still working and the body looks great.It uses 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles and has since it was brand new.I know lots of people with newer chevy pu's that are having good luck too.Dodge=yuck

Stoneage_Caddy
07-16-06, 02:20 PM
the fords in the years your looking at were pretty hard to work on comapred tot he chevys ....my fleet int he airforce had around 100 93 F250S with 5.8 efi engines ...and i hated every one of them .....i replaced the waterpump and radiator on every one of them ....which isnt bad , but other things were terrible do to the damned intake manifold being all over the engine ...

the dodges went thru rear ends like crazy ....if you go dodge , look at 93-94 as there easier to diagnose for engine issues with the key trick

and the chevys ate trannys ...but i liked them beatter then the rest ....a pleasure to work on

SpeedyArizona
07-16-06, 02:25 PM
What do you guys think?

I absolutely LOVE the look of the new generation F-150's, best looking truck out there in my opinion.The Chevy's are ok, styling needs to be updated and the interior looks worn. The whole vehicle needs a restyle, something more up-to-date. The Ram's look great but I've heard they have a very harsh ride compared to the Silverado and F-150. The SRT-10's are definetly the "coolest" truck out at the moment, what other enormous vehicle can go 156 mph?

The interior of the F-150 is the best I've seen in any truck. Ford has always been the leader in trucks, and always will be if they keep it up.

brougham
07-16-06, 03:01 PM
I know people who had Ford trucks and then bought a GMC and hated it and bought another Ford again. And I know people who have Dodge trucks and put several hundred thousand kilometers on them with no problems. Usually people keep buying the same thing and they think what they have is the best and it doesn't matter what anyone else says.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-16-06, 03:39 PM
Alright, here's how I'm gonna say this:

Early-mid '80s (1980-87) Full size trucks:
#1- Chevrolet/GMC
#2- Ford
#3- Dodge

1988-92 (GM redesign in '88)
#1 Chevy/ GMC
#2-Ford
#3-Dodge

1993-96 (Ram introduced in '93, new front end on fords in '92)
#1 Chevy/GMC
#2 Ford
#3 Dodge

1997-03 (new F-150 in '97, new GM in '99)
#1 Chevy/GMC
#2 Dodge
#3 Ford

2004-06 (new ram in '03, new F series in '04, GM is behind the times)
#1 Ford
#2 Dodge
#3 Chevy/GMC

Also, the 1993-96 Lightning and new SRT-10 kick ass, the Silverado SS is rather lackluster in comparison, but the '07 Silvy/ Sierra does look appealing to me, much more exciting than the current models. I'm excited to see those come in.

Stoney, what year Chevy are you referring to about them eating the trannys? I thought they had the 4L60-E, which was a pretty good tranny. I always heard about the Fords going thru their trannys, but the Ford trannys for the most part arent as solid as the GM ones.

77CDV
07-16-06, 04:32 PM
I look at it this way: how many do you see on the road ten years later relative to when they were new? I keep reading that Ford trucks outsell GM, but it seems all the older (10 years +) pickups I see are GM. Also, the GM trucks seem to hold up better physically than the Fords. Forget the Dogs...er, Dodges.

Craig

Destroyer
07-16-06, 07:06 PM
I look at it this way: how many do you see on the road ten years later relative to when they were new? I keep reading that Ford trucks outsell GM, but it seems all the older (10 years +) pickups I see are GM. Also, the GM trucks seem to hold up better physically than the Fords. Forget the Dogs...er, Dodges.

CraigNow that you mention it, I think you are right. Most older trucks on the road seem to be Chevy trucks.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-16-06, 07:30 PM
Stoney, what year Chevy are you referring to about them eating the trannys? I thought they had the 4L60-E, which was a pretty good tranny. I always heard about the Fords going thru their trannys, but the Ford trannys for the most part arent as solid as the GM ones.
91-94 Chevys with the 4L80E , among other problems was an issue with the relif valve , would stick and blow the tranny case ...most of the time tho they just wore out ...humvees witht he same tranny were no diffrent , if anything we saw more failures in the 4l80e when it lived in a hummer

RedGalant2k1
07-16-06, 07:33 PM
The majority of people I'd say prefer the Dodge Ram.

Especially considering the Sierra/Silverado sales dropped 46%.

Destroyer
07-16-06, 11:06 PM
The majority of people I'd say prefer the Dodge Ram.

Especially considering the Sierra/Silverado sales dropped 46%.Everybody is putting down the RAM here and maybe with good reason, I dont know. I do think its the toughest looking truck out there and I'm sure thats good for sales.

Blackout
07-17-06, 06:13 AM
As of right now my favorite pickup on the road is the Nissan Titan. I love that truck!

Elvis
07-17-06, 09:57 AM
I think GM had an edge until only recently. I really liked the mid-80's GM trucks, but the current F-150 is the best truck I've ever driven.

GMC+Chevy truck sales top Ford sales every year. GM still has a good product, I won't bash them. And I wonder how well Ford would do without all of those fleet sales? They seem to dominate that market more than GM.

EcSTSatic
07-17-06, 10:09 AM
I always liked Ford trucks the most, but since I started at the Chevy dealer on tuesday, Chevy's full size trucks have really started to grow on me, Especially the 1988-98 models. The 88-98 Silverado never looked AS good as the 92-96 F-150 to me, but it's got a lot more modern interior and a "better" drivetrain, especially the tranny, plus you could still get the 454 in the 2500 and 3500 series up until 2000, and Ford got rid of the 460 in '95, and IIRC, that was only used in the heavy duty F-350's. So basically, the '92-'96 F-150 is a better looking car, but the Silverado (especially the '95-98 models) were probably the better daily driver. I'm not too sure where the Ram fits in either, probably below the Chevy or Ford.

What do you guys think?

What do you want to use it for? Is it a work truck or for styling around town?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-17-06, 10:56 AM
What do you want to use it for? Is it a work truck or for styling around town?

Well IF I was ever to buy a pickup truck, it would probably be a daily driver due to financial reasons, but I'd rather have one as a 2nd car..to use only when you need it, because I think it's rather wasteful to drive a 1/2 truck around daily if you don't use the bed often.

Blackout, the Titan is a cool truck, I drove a few back when I was working at the Nissan dealer, but if I was ever to buy a full size truck, it would have to be one from an American manufacturer. For example, I've drove quite a few Silverados at my new job, and I like driving those more knowing that they are made in America, by Americans for an american brand. That really means a lot to me about trucks. It doesn't matter so much about cars and stuff.

Blackout
07-17-06, 12:47 PM
Blackout, the Titan is a cool truck, I drove a few back when I was working at the Nissan dealer, but if I was ever to buy a full size truck, it would have to be one from an American manufacturer. For example, I've drove quite a few Silverados at my new job, and I like driving those more knowing that they are made in America, by Americans for an american brand. That really means a lot to me about trucks. It doesn't matter so much about cars and stuff.To me i want the best overall package. Manufacturing company means nothing to me. if kia made a nice 1/2 ton pickup I'd be on it. But to me the titan doesn't get enough credit. It has the highest tow capacity in its class, its the fastest in its class, it has the most standard horsepower in its class, and i love the interior and exterior (kinda like the F-150 a little bit more, but the Titans performance makes up for it). My uncle has a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 and he doesn't really use it for work purposes too often and the thing is falling apart on him. Back in high school my buddy had a 1994 F-150 with 245k miles on it and the thing ran like a champ and rode pretty nice and has held up well over the years.

LittleB
07-17-06, 12:53 PM
I like how the Titans and the Dodge Rams look, but a lot of guys don't think a truck is a truck if it isn't a Chevy or a Ford.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-17-06, 12:54 PM
But to me the titan doesn't get enough credit. It has the highest tow capacity in its class, its the fastest in its class, it has the most standard horsepower in its class, and i love the interior and exterior (kinda like the F-150 a little bit more, but the Titans performance makes up for it)

Oh don't get me wrong, the Titan is a perfectly nice truck, and it is the fastest of all the "regular" 1/2 ton trucks, but I'd be much happier in a truck built by an American company. Atleast the Titan is built in America (Tennessee) though.

SpeedyArizona
07-17-06, 02:06 PM
Everybody is putting down the RAM here and maybe with good reason, I dont know. I do think its the toughest looking truck out there and I'm sure thats good for sales.

I like the look of the Ram but thats what it is made for- looks. They sell plently of 'em but not to the market that other trucks cater to. Ford and Chevy sell trucks that are built to be work horses. Dodge builds trucks to make an impression rather than get down and dirty. "Tough looking" doesn't translate into a tough truck.

Maximum Towing
Chevy Silverado 1500 WT Long Bed 4WD- 8900 lbs
Dodge Ram 1500 ST Long Bed 4WD- 8600 lbs
Ford F-150 XL Long Bed 4WD- 9500 lbs

So even though the Ram may look tough, when you crunch the numbers it turns out to be the weakling of the bunch.

JC316
07-17-06, 02:09 PM
Well, I have owened quite a few Chevy trucks and SUV's. I personally reccomend Chevy all the way. If you get a ford with a manual tranny, it's damn near indestructable, but they just seem cheap to me. Don't even bother with the 94-98 Dodge Rams, they are terrible money pits. These are the chevy truck I have owned:

1. 88 Silverado. 300K hard miles with only one engine/tranny replacement.
2. 98 Cheyenne WT. I didn't have it long, but it drove like my seville does.
3. 86 S15 GMC Jimmy. By far the most problematic Chevy product. The 2.8 is a damn dog, by 80K is had the crank shaft replaced twice.
4. 94 S10 Blazer. Sucker had the side welded back on from a wreck, but it was the most trouble free truck I have ever seen. In the 3 years I owned it, I replaced the alternator, nothing else.
5. 93 Silverado 200K. Needed two transmissions.
6. 96 T10 Blazer. Needed work when I got it, but it has been running good since.

EcSTSatic
07-17-06, 03:09 PM
Well IF I was ever to buy a pickup truck, it would probably be a daily driver due to financial reasons, but I'd rather have one as a 2nd car..to use only when you need it, because I think it's rather wasteful to drive a 1/2 truck around daily if you don't use the bed often.

So, looking in your sig at what you currently drive and your thoughts about using it as a 2nd vehicle, if you are seriously looking and not just creating conversation (and that's not bad either), I'd say your best truck option would be a very used truck.
Focus on the replies regarding older truck reliability. That's your best option IMO.
I have a '77 Dodge van that I used as a 3rd vehicle. It's my workhorse for hauling lumber, dirt etc. I drive it whenever there is a storm prediction and chances of hail.

jrs05caddyext
07-17-06, 03:43 PM
Chevy vote here

itsabughunt
07-17-06, 04:34 PM
I don't think most people can be objective enough to really help you on this sort of topic. People's taste in trucks is usually very particular and I do not think it is because of hard data. People like a certain make of truck (or car) and then try to scrape up data that will support their preference. I think its mostly up to looks and what style resonates with you. I personally prefer Fords, but then thats what I grew up with. I think the "Professional Grade" commercials are ridiculous, but also I'm sure they are effective. For most buyers image is everything.

As for comparing figures of towing capacity and whatnot I am skeptical. Engineers are smart people and they use a lot of hard science to determine what a particular vehicle can do. However there is a lot of marketing and liability concerns clouding those figures. I think most any transmission will live a longer, healthier life if you don't routinely tow near the rated capacity. But on the other hand you could surely get away with exceeding it a bit on occasion, particularly if you actually change your transmission fluid regularly (most people dont). Are we talking about towing in the mountains of Idaho, or out in flat Kansas? In a cool climate or across the southern desert? Because its definitely not the same. Its all relative. If you want a work truck I think you're usually best off with whichever make fits your style and then pick the heaviest duty model and package you can afford. Asking others what brand of truck you should buy is like asking other men if you should date a blond or brunette.

Night Wolf
07-17-06, 04:47 PM
Cummins Turbo Diesel Dodge RAM.... I like '98-'02....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-17-06, 06:57 PM
, if you are seriously looking and not just creating conversation (and that's not bad either)

I'm just starting conversation. I like pickup trucks, but cannot justify buying one.

Patrick7997
07-18-06, 12:22 PM
I've had a 99 Tahoe for years, it's at around 160,000 miles, still looks & drives great.

I know, it's not a pickup truck, but it's got very similar guts under it....

I would buy another one in a second. It's been a fantastic truck. Chevy/GMC/Escalade for me...

For what it's worth, my brother recently dumped his Durango in disgust, and picked up a newer Tahoe....

For what it's worth part 2, the large company I work for scratched Dodge/Chrysler off the list of what they'll buy.... constant maintenance headaches.... and they "pile up" in the motor lot locations... people will take an old Ford or GM truck with a zillion miles on it over a newer Dodge for their company ride everytime... managers, techs, everyone.... nobody wants to get stranded. So, these Dodges just pile up, nobody wants them.... so we quit buying 'em.... Which, I will tell you, there was not a tear shed in the vehicle maintenance department when that decision came down.... the techs were sick (and tired) of working on dodge trucks all day....

And to be fair, my last 2 company rides have been Fords, and they've been good. I have no complaints.