: i know this is the wrong place, but WOW!!!

pimpin88
07-16-06, 11:18 AM
i just wanted a lot of people to see this because i thought it was absolutely amazing. too bad its a bit out of my price range

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Eldorado-Pristine-1957-Cadillac-Eldorado-Brougham_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6147QQihZ009QQ itemZ190007292973QQrdZ1

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-16-06, 11:25 AM
Oh yup, the Eldorado Brougham. $13,000 new, more expensive than a Rolls Royce back in the day. The former police chief of Minneapolis has a '57 model. I sat in it once at a car show. Apparently, my auto shop teacher did the carb work on that car. I believe it's a 3 2 barrel setup.

pimpin88
07-16-06, 11:57 AM
that has to be one of the most beautiful cars ive ever seen. just amazing

LittleB
07-16-06, 01:10 PM
Wow that is magnificent!!!!

SpeedyArizona
07-16-06, 01:17 PM
It's a beautiful car, but I don't think a good way to bring its maximum value is to sell on Ebay. That belongs at B-J next year (so I can see it up close:D).

With only 62,000 miles? I wonder if that was SINCE the restoration...

Beautiful car:).

gary88
07-16-06, 01:39 PM
Wow, whoever buys that is going to be one happy camper! I just wish there were more pics.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-16-06, 02:48 PM
If I ever bought that (or anything like it) I'd never drive it. I couldn't. I'd rent it to a museum or something, or trailer it around to shows across the country.

Frost
07-16-06, 04:18 PM
With roughy 400 examples made (and God only knows how many survivers - Sandy? Any thoughts?) coupled with the original price new, that $225,000+ BIG ONES tag will probably be realized.

Then where does it go from there? A museum for all to see and marvel? Private collection where a sole individual can open his/her vault, pour a glass of some snivelling little beaujolais and gloat over their prize?

I can't see anyone DRIVING this jewel anymore- circumstances have pretty well negated that as an option.

Pity, as I bet it really hauled major ass in it's day. Especially with a 3X2 carb set-up!

77CDV
07-16-06, 04:28 PM
It's a beautiful car, but the price is a bit optimistic. It doesn't help matters that it's a dealer offering. The driving experience is similar to the period Eldorado Seville, which offered the same powertrain setup. Watch out for flame ups!

davesdeville
07-17-06, 02:24 AM
Screw 69 Camaros, they should be making reproduction bodies of those.

pimpin88
07-17-06, 10:34 AM
haha, yea, that would be awesome if they did that.

by the way, what engine does this car have?

OffThaHorseCEO
07-17-06, 11:12 AM
Brougham production was
only 400 in 1957 and cost Cadillac a staggering $25,000 each to
build. General Motors was willing to absorb the loss in order to try
to dominate the luxury segment.

can you imagine if car manufacturers stil did that? we'd have some bad ass cars

97cherry
07-17-06, 12:43 PM
That is gorgeous..the SS top? too cool.

eldo's.....sigh.....:highfive:

thanks for that post....

kp ;)

CoupeDevilleRob
07-17-06, 06:16 PM
Hey, I have that same exact car. OK, it's a 1/18 scale model but that is awesome. The Eldorado Brougham is probably the coolest Cadillac ever. That price seems kinds steep though, the only car going for that kind of money have Hemis.

pimpin88
07-17-06, 07:09 PM
i think ive found my new favorite car. that cadillac is absolutely breathtaking!!!

there was a corvette that i saw yesterday also that was going for near $200,000

bpmolder
07-18-06, 06:36 AM
That's a thing of beauty indeed.

Elvis
07-18-06, 08:47 AM
I spent some time on eBay last night looking at old Caddys.

It seems the antique car market is a little depressed right now. The special ones like that Brougham will always hold their value, but the gas guzzlers that need a little work are going dirt cheap. I'm sure part of it is the economy (interest rates going up is an indicator) and part of it is high gas prices.

bpmolder
07-18-06, 08:58 AM
Yeah, mine is one of the true gas guzzlers and the cost to run it to and from work really hurt....but I just love to drive it. Friends tell me I will have to break the habit of driving it everyday if I want it to last, but I haven't been able to heed their advice just yet. Sadly, though, it will probably be the $60 a week gas bills that will persuade me to get a second, more economical vehicle.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-18-06, 09:16 AM
Yeah, mine is one of the true gas guzzlers and the cost to run it to and from work really hurt....but I just love to drive it. Friends tell me I will have to break the habit of driving it everyday if I want it to last, but I haven't been able to heed their advice just yet. Sadly, though, it will probably be the $60 a week gas bills that will persuade me to get a second, more economical vehicle.

In all honestly, $60 a week isn't that much. I know people with mid '90s F-150s that are running $75-$80 a week in gas bills.

Elvis
07-18-06, 09:18 AM
but I just love to drive it. Friends tell me I will have to break the habit of driving it everyday if I want it to last, but I haven't been able to heed their advice just yet.

I am from the school of thought that if you are fortunate enough to own one of those vehicles, it should be driven regularly. I wish I had the space for one.

bpmolder
07-18-06, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I shouldn't complain about the gas price....and I tell them the same thing, Elvis, that if you have a car you love, drive it regularly. It seems that in today's world, as much as driving sucks in general with all the idiots out there, anything that helps to enjoy the ride more is definitely worth it.

Caddy Man
07-18-06, 10:07 AM
Oh yup, the Eldorado Brougham. $13,000 new, more expensive than a Rolls Royce back in the day.
and the buy it now price is the same as a brand new Bentley Arnage. :rolleyes:

JimHare
07-18-06, 12:02 PM
I'm not absolutely certain, but if I remember correctly, the car that Sammy Davis Jr was driving when he had the accident which caused him to lose one eye was an Eldo Brougham....

pimpin88
07-18-06, 12:17 PM
http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Cadillac/1957/ElDorado/index.htm

here are some of the specs for this car

dual 4 barrels
325 hp @4800rpm
400 ft. lb. @ 3300rpm
365 cu. in.

rear axle ratio 3.36:1

turning dia. 42 ft.

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Cadillac/1957/ElDorado/images/1957%20Cadillac%20Eldorado%20Brougham-03_jpg.jpg

Elvis
07-18-06, 03:09 PM
I'm not absolutely certain, but if I remember correctly, the car that Sammy Davis Jr was driving when he had the accident which caused him to lose one eye was an Eldo Brougham....

On another front, The Sports Illustrated article last week about Andre Agassi said he owns a '76 Eldorado. I'm sure it's a convertible.

DBA-One
07-19-06, 03:22 PM
Times certainly change. That car practically has a bar in the dash. All it is missing is a fireplace.

gdwriter
07-19-06, 04:14 PM
Oops. Double post.

gdwriter
07-19-06, 04:14 PM
I am from the school of thought that if you are fortunate enough to own one of those vehicles, it should be driven regularly.
Amen to that. I've put more than 50,000 miles on Betty since I bought her in February, 1999. I usually try to drive her at least once a week, even if it's just to the off-leash dog park. A big part of the pleasure of owning Betty is that she's such a nice car to drive.

I've read that old cars run better when they're driven regularly; it keeps parts lubricated and keeps seals from drying out, etc. Betty has had a persistent power steering fluid leak, but driving her regularly has at least slowed it down.

This Eldorado Brougham is so rare and valuable that it really isn't realistic to drive it much. Which is a shame since I'll bet it drives as beautifully as it looks.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

pimpin88
07-20-06, 03:24 PM
does anyone know about the lead filler that they used in these cars. i was reading about it somewhere and cant find it again. supposedly that is why they are so expensive to restore because the build quality was not that good.

Frost
07-20-06, 04:34 PM
I don't think they were made poorly, the lead you're referring to was the pre-cursor to that infamous product "BONDO".

Reminds me of a high school buddy who's Dad worked at a place called "Bondo Bob's" - but that is for another time.

The Old School way of repairing bodywork was to melt a stream of lead into the crack or curve you wanted to blend, then "work" the lead into the final shape - it was malleable enough to be easily sculpted.

Health hazards aside, I always thought lead did a better job than any plastic filler could hope to do - and the lead never had any shrinkage issues, like Bondo has.

pimpin88
07-21-06, 10:40 AM
hahaha, thats awesome. somebody needs to figure out something like lead that can be used as filler but doesnt have health hazards.

i never would have guessed that the build quality was poor because they are freakin awesome, costing $25,000 in 1957!!!

Sandy
07-21-06, 02:40 PM
The price is greatly exagerated (optimistic). I'd put it at around $130,000. Yes, it looks flawless. There is one that is used on the road in New Hampshire, from June thru September. I have 1 pic of it. It appears to be in like flawless condition, and I've been told that everything works on it. It's black. It's beautiful & not for sale.

I have no clue how many are left, But I would guess no more than a dozen or so.

Here's the problem:-

For me, whatever, I would not own it. I am literally petrified to take my '93 Sixty Special out of the driveway! She has 9,866 miles, I the sole driver and she is showroom new and showroom fresh ! There is not a spec, a flaw, an imperfection on, in or under her. The leather seats have not even one crease. She is brochure perfect!

I live in the most OVER populated state, N.J. where you cannot travel 6 miles, daily, without seeing an accident! Every single female is yakking away on her cell phone, and driving take a lesser priority than talking!

THAT is why she has only been allowed to cross over the curb and venture out into the street to accumulate 759 miles a year !! I would need professional mental help, if she got clobbered!

Can you image if I had that Brougham ???

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/P6250007.JPG
A rare monent when she was let out to play a bit !
.....and BEFORE I could snap the photos, a bird pooped above her headlight! Geez, he musta been on "Stand-By"