: Engine dead but... not dead !!

ascariSTS
07-15-06, 09:35 PM
hi,

here is what happened...

I use the car everyday like 4 to 5 times.... yesterday I left the car at the my home garage and didn't go anywhere...

today when I got into it and switched the engine on, it started some kind of strong vibration... very strong and very slow... with rpm about 1100... then the rpm went down to 0 and the engine died...

I turned it off and on again... same thing, that vibration.... but this time i stepped on the pedal forcing it to go to higher rpm to warm up quickly....

when the vibration stopped, i left the pedal... and it went back normal... I went to the place I wanted to go to switched off the engine and switched it on again... everything goes back to normal...

the only thing is the engine light is turned on now...

so what do you think causes this vibration?... it only happenes when leaving the car off for sometime (like one day)...

is it a fuel pump issue ???... although i don't think so...

could you please advice before i drive it to the dealer

thanks a lot...

ascariSTS
07-16-06, 01:35 AM
ah one more thing...

we had very dusty days last week... I wonder if this has any relation to what happened...

I opened the hood and dust was covering the engine plus some other parts around the engine...

How do you suggest that I clean it?... I heard that cleaning it with water is not good for the car...

Skibanker
07-16-06, 12:07 PM
I'm certainly no mechanic, but the simplest thing to check would be to blow out the air cleaner with an air compressor or just replace the filter. While you're at it, you can use the compressor to blow off your engine. One thing for sure, don't turn a hose on your engine unless you want to replace all the electronic parts under the hood. The days of washing or steam cleaning an engine were over in the '70's when cars got computers.

ascariSTS
07-17-06, 02:45 AM
I'm certainly no mechanic, but the simplest thing to check would be to blow out the air cleaner with an air compressor or just replace the filter. While you're at it, you can use the compressor to blow off your engine. One thing for sure, don't turn a hose on your engine unless you want to replace all the electronic parts under the hood. The days of washing or steam cleaning an engine were over in the '70's when cars got computers.

Yea you are right...

Good news is the "check engine" light went off... I read somewhere that Cadillac cars checks automatically everytime the engine runs... it goes through a closed loop of testing... drive the car for 10 minutes, shut it off, on again and drive for another 10 minutes... if there was no problem with the engine, the "check engine" light will clear...

However, i'll do clean things up... not washing but i'll use air compressor... I think it's somehow clear now the dust was part of what happened... especially after one of my friends had same situation with his Maxima,,,

jlp
07-17-06, 03:52 PM
Happened to me, couldnt get it to turn over. Roadside assistance came and started engine as you describe. They said it was a computer glitch. I brought the car in, they made whatever change was needed and it never happened again.

Hope this helps

ascariSTS
07-18-06, 01:10 AM
oh.. a computer glitch !!

ammm.... Do you know what changes did they make?... that would be helpful...

jlp
07-19-06, 08:32 AM
No, but delaership was Martin Cadillac in New Jersey