: Ladies and gentlemen, I believe I just found my dream car!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-13-06, 12:14 AM
Triple black 1973 Lincoln Mark IV. Pretty cool stock, but this owner threw in a Ford "Toploader" 4 speed manual with floor shifter. It's got some other aftermarket parts too, but the 4 speed is so cool! I can't imagine rowing gears in something that size with that much power (the manuals I'm used to are slow I-4 trucks)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MINT-73-LINCOLN-MK-4-460-4-SPEED-MANY-EXTRAS_W0QQitemZ140007107553QQihZ004QQcategoryZ630 5QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/9a/5e/d9_12_sb.JPG

God that's cool!

Benzilla
07-13-06, 12:49 AM
Nice! but to me, in one of those massive beautiful old '70s yachts, a manual sort of takes away from the whole pillow soft luxury theme. but still very nice.

gdwriter
07-13-06, 12:57 AM
That is too twisted for color TV.

But definitely unique.

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

davesdeville
07-13-06, 02:14 AM
I don't like it. In something like an ETC or Mark VIII, sure a manual would be cool. But in the epitome of laziness, where you ride on plush seats in 5000lbs of bump absorbing steel, where a turn of the wheel can be accomplished with your pinky finger, where hundreds of ft.lbs. smoothly accelerates you to your desired speed... A manual transmission really doesn't fit.

SL1CK
07-13-06, 03:12 AM
Oh THATS the car you're looking for??? You shoulda said so!!! The substitute teacher at my school had one in gray that has been garaged ever since the day she bought it new in the 70s. The lady is like 70 years old.

Too bad shes not selling it. :)

terrible one
07-13-06, 04:06 AM
I don't like it. In something like an ETC or Mark VIII, sure a manual would be cool. But in the epitome of laziness, where you ride on plush seats in 5000lbs of bump absorbing steel, where a turn of the wheel can be accomplished with your pinky finger, where hundreds of ft.lbs. smoothly accelerates you to your desired speed... A manual transmission really doesn't fit.

:yup: I totally agree. I'm sure it would be fun, but to me it would really take away from the purpose and intentions of the car.

Frost
07-13-06, 08:16 AM
Personally, I think it would tanslate into the perfect all-time bad-ass Sleeper!

Imagine that thing sitting at a set of lights, full-on dark tinted windows rolled up, a quietly rumbling tone seeping from the duals.

Some pissant in a Whale-tailed "Honda Whatever", slides up to the same set of lights, worn brakepads screaming in protest and competing with the soundtrack from The Fart and the Bilious booming out of their homemade stereo.

Honda, festooned with red "R" badges and power stickers sends the revs up into the quintuple digits, egging the "Grandpa" Lincoln on to a race that could never be won by that 2 and a half tons-o-fun.

Or so Honda thinks,,,,,,,,

Nothing beats cubic inches, and nothing beats the judicious application of same. Especially if those cubic inches have been massaged and tweaked like this example. And the manual? How else to best put those horses under the hood to work? Major icing on the cake, for a sleeper!!

Elvis
07-13-06, 09:33 AM
There's no replacement for displacement.

I learned that one the hard way.

NolaBoy
07-13-06, 09:39 AM
I love those old school lincons. Triple black is the way to go too. im not too fond of the manual tranny in it tho

EcSTSatic
07-13-06, 01:35 PM
Is that a huge hole in the carpet around the shifter boot? :wtf:

OffThaHorseCEO
07-13-06, 02:02 PM
haha yes id have at least cut a slit to put the shifter thru, then laid id back down and hidden it to the best of my ability

Destroyer
07-13-06, 03:31 PM
Looks like a cool project. I for one like the idea of a manual transmission. So are you gonna pull the trigger and buy it?:thumbsup:

noahsdad
07-13-06, 03:43 PM
Cool Chad!

I'd be a little concerned about how he rigged the clutch linkage though, because there never was a stick shift Mark series to my knowledge; therefore everything had to be fabricated. Unless the guy is really good (which the massive carpet cut tells me he may not be), this could be a cobbled up trouble spot. Remember that fabricated systems require more fabrication when repair is required. And with a 460 pushing a 5000 pound car, repairs will be required.

96Fleetwood
07-13-06, 04:52 PM
Nice! This has been done before though and is a cool modification if you are really using the tranny.

I have seen a Marauder, TownCar, many Impala SS's, and a Fleetwood with 6 speed manual conversions :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-13-06, 09:07 PM
I have to agree with lots of you, the manual is out of place in that car. I don't really think many cars of this size should have manuals, but this is definetly cool! Sure, it goes against everything this car is about, but then again, this was the "sporty" Lincoln back then, and what's sportier than a manual tranny?

77CDV
07-13-06, 10:59 PM
Now if he really wanted to make it fun, he could have done a column-mounted manual!

davesdeville
07-14-06, 07:41 AM
Personally, I think it would tanslate into the perfect all-time bad-ass Sleeper!

Imagine that thing sitting at a set of lights, full-on dark tinted windows rolled up, a quietly rumbling tone seeping from the duals.

Some pissant in a Whale-tailed "Honda Whatever", slides up to the same set of lights, worn brakepads screaming in protest and competing with the soundtrack from The Fart and the Bilious booming out of their homemade stereo.

Honda, festooned with red "R" badges and power stickers sends the revs up into the quintuple digits, egging the "Grandpa" Lincoln on to a race that could never be won by that 2 and a half tons-o-fun.

Nothing beats cubic inches, and nothing beats the judicious application of same. Especially if those cubic inches have been massaged and tweaked like this example. And the manual? How else to best put those horses under the hood to work? Major icing on the cake, for a sleeper!!

Haha yeah I agree and that's why I have a 75 with 500ci. But... autos are just plain better for drag racing, and a manual just doesn't belong there!

Then again, most Ford guys would say a 500ci Caddy motor doesn't belong in a Fox Thunderbird but I think it fits pretty well. So I'll shut up now.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-14-06, 07:44 PM

That's basically what I dream about every night :)

AlBundy
07-14-06, 10:09 PM
I like it. I say go with it.

Rolex
07-14-06, 11:25 PM
I like those old land yachts. My favorite Lincoln is the black on black 1965 Continental used in the Matrix II with the suicide rear doors. That thing was uber cool IMO.

ETA: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.teamsynergysd.com/Lincoln/328054_52_full.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.teamsynergysd.com/Lincoln/lincoln.html&h=277&w=472&sz=32&hl=en&start=49&tbnid=3HvS-qqaI9qE4M:&tbnh=73&tbnw=125&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1965%2BLincoln%2BContinental%26start% 3D40%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26 rls%3DSUNA,SUNA:2005-50,SUNA:en%26sa%3DN

Frost
07-15-06, 03:45 AM
When I hear comments like those by DavesDeville, I guess I'm from the Old Guard then, from another time and place. Maybe it's time for this oldtimer to go back to school.

I was brought up to believe that rowing through the gears with a manual shifter was the ONLY way to wring every last pony out of an engine. I was also brought up with the belief that an automatic tranny sucked 10% of your available net horsepower right off the top - no questions asked.

It seems there is now a generation here that has a different outlook entirely.

Is that because the technology has advanced to the point where the 10% "rule" is no longer valid? Can today's drivers hard shift with today's automatics faster than a manual? Is the automatic set up so that there is no hesitation at all now, between the gears?

Perspiring minds need to know!

noahsdad
07-15-06, 09:16 AM
When I hear comments like those by DavesDeville, I guess I'm from the Old Guard then, from another time and place. Maybe it's time for this oldtimer to go back to school.

I was brought up to believe that rowing through the gears with a manual shifter was the ONLY way to wring every last pony out of an engine. I was also brought up with the belief that an automatic tranny sucked 10% of your available net horsepower right off the top - no questions asked.

It seems there is now a generation here that has a different outlook entirely.

Is that because the technology has advanced to the point where the 10% "rule" is no longer valid? Can today's drivers hard shift with today's automatics faster than a manual? Is the automatic set up so that there is no hesitation at all now, between the gears?

Perspiring minds need to know!

I hear ya Frost. Back in the day, if you showed up at the drag strip with an automatic, 'real' racers would laugh themselves silly.

IMO, automatics have become a little more manly, and conversely, sticks have gotten prorgressively more wussy. The newer automatics have more precise tolerances and less slippage, while manual transmissions now feature girl-pleasing features like shift by wire and hydraulic assist clutch.

Like the wise old man said, "When they started putting makeup mirrors and carpet in pickup trucks, I knew it wasn't a man's world anymore"

Frost
07-15-06, 10:16 AM
It's good to know I'm not alone in my old beliefs then - thanks for the vote of confidence! It has been decades since I was last in a manual trans car, so I haven't been following the "wussification" of standards. And as for automatics, I've been spoiled by the silky-smooth shifting of Caddies for too many years now to know any other kind of "aggressive " auto trans offerings out there.

The only constant is change, eh?

EcSTSatic
07-15-06, 10:47 AM
IMO autos are not perfect. To be a successful drag racer you need a compatible stall converter. What works best at the track doesn't work for daily driving.
My Thunderbird TurboCoupe came with a 5 speed manual box. It just felt natural.

noahsdad
07-15-06, 11:38 AM
Hey Chad - better pinch real tight cause you might crap when you hear this. In my local paper this morning is a 1973 Mark IV with 16,100 documented original miles for $8495. PM me if you want more info.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-06, 04:05 PM
Not quite yet ND, I just started my full time job, and my parents are cool with me buying another car with the money I save up from this job. So I'm on my way....

davesdeville
07-16-06, 09:01 AM
Automatics today don't suck much more power than manuals. Old automatics like the TH400 for instance do, but there is no manual that can take, say, 750ft.lbs. for a similar price as a built 400. Plus in that power range I think I'd want both hands on the wheel at all times. And when you get into the 1250+ range there are really no manuals that will live behind that kind of torque.

Manuals are still great until you're in the single digit 1/4 mile times. Plus nothing impresses a dumb high school kid like a 6spd manual...

clarkz71
07-18-06, 07:47 AM
I don't know about that, Pro Stocks have pretty good HP (1250 or so)run in the 6 sec range and they run manuals, (Lenco's)

davesdeville
07-20-06, 01:51 PM
While that may be, I don't really care. I'm talking street cars or weekend bracket racers not pro teams. Real hotrodding not 'sponsored by.'

EcSTSatic
07-20-06, 08:29 PM
In all fairness, you set the HP range "1250+". How many street or weekend bracket racers have that kind of power?

EDBSO
07-21-06, 11:02 AM
Exterior view
http://forums.aaca.org/misc/394796-redneckac.jpg

EcSTSatic
07-21-06, 11:05 AM
Is it a manual or auto??

davesdeville
07-21-06, 07:05 PM
No more than 10 or so in NM... but everyone else aspires to be in that leauge.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-21-06, 07:29 PM
Exterior view
http://forums.aaca.org/misc/394796-redneckac.jpg

Oh man what the hell is that? It started off as the worst Continental ever IMO and turned into....this.

Frost
07-22-06, 03:34 AM
'll bet that a/c runs ice cold! (although there MAY be noise issues with such a model- especially with that generator cranking out the juice to run it!)

danbuc
07-22-06, 03:02 PM
A manual in that Lincoln would be totally bad ass. Sleeper is the only way to go with a car like that. I'd really love to do some serious engine modification to my step-dads '63 Monterey but he says no. It's got a "3 on the tree" which isn't quickest waay to shift, but it's damn cool. All I wanted to do was a posi, 3.55 gears, a cam, intake, a four barrel, and extrude hone the original manifolds (gotta keep it lookin' stock). I would have bought that Lincoln in a heartbeat if I had the money. Those 460's move when you get them fixed up just right. Same wiht the 390 in the Merc.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-22-06, 04:14 PM
I would have bought that Lincoln in a heartbeat if I had the money. Those 460's move when you get them fixed up just right.

They don't too bad stock either. 1/4 mile in about 17.5 or so.

danbuc
07-22-06, 05:09 PM
Thta's not bad at all, especially since it's basically powering a nice looking Sherman Tank. Those linkolns are heavy. A really nice Gold Mark IV one "The Mayor's" trophy at a car show I went to in River Edge, NJ last weekend. It was in mint condition...absolutely georgious.

Benzilla
07-22-06, 10:57 PM
They don't too bad stock either. 1/4 mile in about 17.5 or so.
Damn... now I need to race one, that would be fun :D