: '89 DeVille Fender Skirt Conversion

highonchai
02-06-04, 01:18 PM
Hey all, :cookoo: My current daily driver is a '89 Sedan Deville, a very sweet and beautiful ride, Midnight blue with matching vinyl roof, no pin stripes, a ver sleek car. Anyway i really like the way the fleetwoods look with their fender skirts and ive been observing both mine and other caddies with skirts and it looks to me like the fender skirt conversion wouldnt be that difficult, and ive heard of it being done before. Does anyone have any information on the conversion, im about to go disassemble my fender to see what's what. And im in the process of looking for a spare set of fender skirts in dark blue with silver/gray trim. Thanks everybody!

brougham
02-06-04, 05:02 PM
Hey all, :cookoo: My current daily driver is a '89 Sedan Deville, a very sweet and beautiful ride, Midnight blue with matching vinyl roof, no pin stripes, a ver sleek car. Anyway i really like the way the fleetwoods look with their fender skirts and ive been observing both mine and other caddies with skirts and it looks to me like the fender skirt conversion wouldnt be that difficult, and ive heard of it being done before. Does anyone have any information on the conversion, im about to go disassemble my fender to see what's what. And im in the process of looking for a spare set of fender skirts in dark blue with silver/gray trim. Thanks everybody!

The easiest way to do it would be to get the parts from a junk yard. Forget the colour and just get the ones that are in the best condition for the best price. Then you can get them painted to match the car. Unless of course you have no problem finding ones that already match the colour of your car.

I like the way they look but I think they look better with the Fleetwood vinyl roof.

DeVillish
02-06-04, 06:52 PM
if you do you will need to either cut some trim or get the rear and sides from a fleetwood also. Sucks i know, cause i got some fender skirts for my 90 coupe and it wouldnt fit with my stock trim unless i cut it or go fleetwood trim.

Andrew60SP
02-06-04, 08:14 PM
I think you just need to take off the fender flares on the Deville. I've seen some Devilles on Ebay with them.

DeVillish
02-06-04, 08:36 PM
you have to take off the fender flares too. But the thing is, the skirts have trim on them too that conects the front trim to the rear and on fleetwoods the trim is shorter on the front and rear trim because the fender skirt trim goes all the way down and around the wheel well. Look at this pic, the part that i highlighted red is the whole skirt, thats what you would take off a fleetwood. See how there is just a little bit of trim on the skirt itself? thats what makes the front and rear trim smaller, its only like an inch if you just wanted to cut it, but get it REALLY stright or it wont look right. the other pic i didnt edit and you can see where the skirt trim meets the rest of the trim.

Andrew60SP
02-07-04, 12:00 AM
I know what you mean now, and you're right.

So you would need the mouldings rear of the wheels as well. But on the sedan, I don't think you need any mouldings front of the wheels, as all of those are part of the skirt.

highonchai
02-07-04, 11:36 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes when i went out to remove the fender flares i realized it would be a lot harder than i realized:(, i wish i could see a fleetwood with the fender skirts off, just to observe, see exactly whats happening there. could anyone take a photo?? i think i would need the entire rear quarter panel from a fleetwood to do it, and theres no way im taking a saws-all to my caddy!:suspect: Devillish hit the nail on the head with what he said, it may be do-able if i could find the trim for the entire side of the car, but thats not too easy. Oh well, i love my Deville just as much without the skirts, My '69 Sed Deville has them anyway, thats good enough for me:D . i do think i might get tail light covers from www.ironcrosscustoms.com (http://www.ironcrosscustoms.com), theyve got some cool options, the flamed covers might look cool, or maybe ill get them to do something personal, check that site out by the way, a few cool things there. Thanks again all, any suggestions would be awesome, not too many people out there are customizing theyre late 80s-early 90s devilles or fleetwoods. Oh one more thing, around town here ive been seeing caddys same gen. as mine with different hoods. mine has the more flat hood that comes straight across then peaks like a tent in the middle. But ive seen some with the sides coming in similar to mine but then jumping up and then peaking, like the 69 and early 70s caddy hoods, i really like the way they look, does anyone know what model they came on, and if one would fit my '89 sed. Deville? Anyways, sorry for the long post, ide like to hear what anyone out there has done to their 89 and early 90s touring sedans and coups. Thanks everybody. Youre the Cadillac of Cadillac owners!:worship:

highonchai
02-07-04, 11:46 PM
http://www.autochoiceisyours.com/DSCN0982.JPG check out the hood, its a '93, i think it has the attached grill, can anyone verify that? Do you think i could modify my '89 to recieve that hood? Thanks all.

DeVillish
02-08-04, 01:59 PM
Ha, man, i feel like the 89-93 body guy now. Check out this thread, i explained all about what is needed to change the hood from an 89 90 to a 91-93.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7694

Sandy
02-08-04, 03:35 PM
The 89-93 Fender Skirts from the Fleetwood/Sixty-Special will NOT work on a deVille of the same vintage, because the 1/4 panels are actually just a little different. Enough sio that it will not work. However, some unknown company made look-alike deVille skirts for the 89-93 deVilles, that came complete with moundings! They sold them thru JC Whitney Catalog, which i still l have!! The part # from JC was:
4757-A for the Coupe & 4757R for the sedan. The catalog is looong defunct, I believe it was from 1993, but you could try. If they don't have them, see if you can find out WHO they got them from! You need to remove the rear wheel cutout "lip" It's easy, there are screw-clamps underneath. Put up on lift, remove tire & remove wheel lip. The skirts need to be painted. They sold for $230.00 a pair, in prime, moulding not attached, but included.

highonchai
02-08-04, 07:19 PM
Awesome, Thanks a million guys, Thanks for the info Sandy ill investigate further into that, hopefully i can find a set. Thanks!!! As i said earlier, you are the Cadillac of Cadillac owners.:worship:

highonchai
02-08-04, 07:39 PM
DeVillish, ive looked into the post '91 cadillac hood conversion to my '89 and it looks simple enough, just need to keep an eye out for a '91 or later cad to get the parts from. I only have one problem (sorry guys, its always something), i dont like the grill attached there, i like the grill on my '89 (simple square design grill) over any other grills, I dont suppose i can swap grills as well? I assume not, Any ideas on what i could do?? Thanks again all, youve been a huge help!:worship:

DeVillish
02-08-04, 11:41 PM
the grill on the 91-93 cars is bolted to the hood and its actually bigger then the 89 90 grills. You might be able to put the 91 and up hood on without the grill and just use your 89 grill, and then you wouldnt need all the headlight stuff just the hood. But then you would have to fill in the bolt holes and the indentation for the 91 grill. I think if you wana do that, go to a junk yard and find a 89 90 car with a good front end and find a 91-93 hood and see if it will work before you buy anything. Oh and also the 91-93 hoods and grills are more pointed then the 89 90 so i dont think it would look right.

tru504187211
02-09-04, 12:19 AM
I think everyone with 89-90 Devilles should just....buy a FWD Fleetwood, LOL!!! or possibly a '93 Sixty Special...plus then you get the C-pillar illuminated crests!

MrSmith
04-07-04, 10:39 PM
well I guess all my questions are answered. Cant use rear skirts unless I have the fleetwood.

tru504187211
04-08-04, 01:32 AM
you could...if your VERY imbitious.

highonchai
04-08-04, 11:40 AM
This is true, Ive heard of guys taking the entire rear fenders off of a fleetwood and slapping them on their deville, so there is that route.

MrSmith
04-09-04, 06:32 PM
I can understand if its bolt on but If I have to weld its not worth it.

90devilleguy
04-11-04, 02:37 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes when i went out to remove the fender flares i realized it would be a lot harder than i realized:(, i wish i could see a fleetwood with the fender skirts off, just to observe, see exactly whats happening there. could anyone take a photo?? i think i would need the entire rear quarter panel from a fleetwood to do it, and theres no way im taking a saws-all to my caddy!:suspect: Devillish hit the nail on the head with what he said, it may be do-able if i could find the trim for the entire side of the car, but thats not too easy. Oh well, i love my Deville just as much without the skirts, My '69 Sed Deville has them anyway, thats good enough for me:D . i do think i might get tail light covers from www.ironcrosscustoms.com (http://www.ironcrosscustoms.com), theyve got some cool options, the flamed covers might look cool, or maybe ill get them to do something personal, check that site out by the way, a few cool things there. Thanks again all, any suggestions would be awesome, not too many people out there are customizing theyre late 80s-early 90s devilles or fleetwoods. Oh one more thing, around town here ive been seeing caddys same gen. as mine with different hoods. mine has the more flat hood that comes straight across then peaks like a tent in the middle. But ive seen some with the sides coming in similar to mine but then jumping up and then peaking, like the 69 and early 70s caddy hoods, i really like the way they look, does anyone know what model they came on, and if one would fit my '89 sed. Deville? Anyways, sorry for the long post, ide like to hear what anyone out there has done to their 89 and early 90s touring sedans and coups. Thanks everybody. Youre the Cadillac of Cadillac owners!:worship:

i love those chrome cross taillight inserts!!!!!!!! i'm gonna order them next pay check....:):)

highonchai
04-11-04, 05:11 PM
Cool man, post a pic when you install them please!

90devilleguy
04-11-04, 11:05 PM
Cool man, post a pic when you install them please!

don't worry i will