: Analog clocks 03 CTS

RDR
07-11-06, 05:05 PM
I have purchased my first Cadillac, a 2003 CTS in very clean condition with 23000 miles. I am finding form this site that the analog clocks do not keep time. Many people talk about it but it seems that they have to live with it. Even when I bought the car the guy says "it's a great car, the only think that doesn't work is the clock". The amazing thing is you can go to a dollar store and buy a clock for a buck that will work for years. Does a person have to buy a $1 clock and stick it on the control panel over the existing clock? Why doesn't GM step up to the plate and fix the problem when it's so common? The warranty just expired so unless GM does a recall for a repair many are out of luck.

ewill3rd
07-12-06, 12:49 PM
There is an available software update for the IPC.
It requires the use of the factory scan tool and a computer with the necessary software.
The software update came out in December of last year.
Are you actually having problems with the clock or just complaining because it's an issue that people talk about? It's unclear from your post.

The problem was fixed in production for that model year, but the earlier builds need the software update, you check based on the last 6 digits of the VIN.

caddynuts
07-12-06, 11:07 PM
disconnect your battery cables at once (both of them)/then touch them together for about a minute. then reinstall them. pos first , then negative.
then clocks will be in sync. i think this is what your after.(common complaint):highfive:

ChicagoCTS32
07-16-06, 11:13 PM
will, my dealer did that update and 3 months later my clock is off again.

nuts, what a great idea! That's how I set my alarm clock at home too. You see, all of my clocks are linked to the one clock on my wall, and when I change that one clock, all the rest of my clocks change, including my watch. I can't change any of the clocks individually, so I have to disconnect the power to get them all to match. Sounds a lot more stupid when I put it that way eh?

"Work-around" maybe, "solution", no.

RDR
07-17-06, 06:13 PM
There is an available software update for the IPC.
It requires the use of the factory scan tool and a computer with the necessary software.
The software update came out in December of last year.
Are you actually having problems with the clock or just complaining because it's an issue that people talk about? It's unclear from your post.

The problem was fixed in production for that model year, but the earlier builds need the software update, you check based on the last 6 digits of the VIN.

I'm actually having problems with it. My clock is twelve minutes slow. I found out others were having problems when I found this site. Thank's for the info I will chack with a dealer. Also I will keep the battery cable temp solution in mind.

RDR
07-19-06, 02:50 PM
disconnect your battery cables at once (both of them)/then touch them together for about a minute. then reinstall them. pos first , then negative.
then clocks will be in sync. i think this is what your after.(common complaint):highfive:

If you do disconnect the battery cables does this affect any other programs such as the seat positions, names for drivers 1 and 2, etc.

kali_cts03
07-20-06, 09:16 AM
My old dealership tried fixing it over and over and never could get it to match!!! :mad: Finally Caddy Man gave us the idea of switching the 03 cluster with that of an 04 or 05 gage cluster with the temp. gage - problem solved!!! :highfive: Dealership replaced it under warranty!!! :)