: Intake Manifold questions - chime in!

fubar569
07-11-06, 03:44 PM
Alrighty, got a quick one guys.

what does the average Northstar intake go for...complete? as in fuel rails, injectors, TB, manifold, everything....

i know our esteemed colleague Eldorado1 does the boring of the TB, so i'd have my core....but i'm really looking at porting out the intake. can the flow even be inproved enough to make it worthwhile or without damaging it?

also, what years fit what motors? or are all the manifolds the same?

eldorado1
07-11-06, 06:10 PM
Alrighty, got a quick one guys.

what does the average Northstar intake go for...complete? as in fuel rails, injectors, TB, manifold, everything....

i know our esteemed colleague Eldorado1 does the boring of the TB, so i'd have my core....but i'm really looking at porting out the intake. can the flow even be inproved enough to make it worthwhile or without damaging it?

also, what years fit what motors? or are all the manifolds the same?

Price really depends on mileage. I picked up a 60,000 mile one for $800, complete. <$1000 is a "good deal", if it runs, has no headgasket problem, and is low mileage (<80k)

You can pick up intakes on ebay for cheap. I just sold one for $5. Port it all you want without worrying about damaging it. If you do, pick up another.

Take a close look at the intake gaskets and intake ports(on the head). I was measuring a substantial overlap into the ports. I spent a day with a dremel grinder on the intake gaskets to open them up to the actual intake port size. The manifold runners are also a bit undersized.

I also trimmed the runner length to see if I could gain some more upper rpm HP. That was an extremely large PITA, and I don't have any dyno results (yet). I shortened the runners by about 3" each, and smoothed out the insides.

93-94 manifold will bolt onto any engine. They are cast magnesium, and the runners are actually removeable.

96-99 manifolds interchange, will not bolt onto 93-94 heads without drilling/tapping holes

95 is an odd year, but equivalent to 96-99.

fubar569
07-11-06, 06:41 PM
eldo, i was referring to the intake manifold itself. there's one on ebay right now with TB/injectors/rails/etc with all sensors for 75 buy it now and 22ish to ship...so for 100 bucks i can have my play manifold and a core for you...IF you still do the boring that is...

good deal or no?

eldorado1
07-11-06, 08:40 PM
ha! Sorry, skipped right over that part. I read/answer too fast.

There's some folks selling a brand new intake for $250 shipped on ebay. Used for 1/2 that price is a pretty good deal IMHO.

I do still do boring, but there's new pricing and it's set up differently.

KrazyK55
02-17-07, 06:34 PM
Eldorado1, Are you saying that the 93-94 magnesium manifolds will bolt on to any engine from 93-99 ??

eldorado1
02-17-07, 07:50 PM
Yes, but - you will lose EGR function on any 95+ shortblock.

clarkz71
02-18-07, 06:06 AM
Yes, but - you will lose EGR function on any 95+ shortblock.

And possibly 5 hp, remember that in 95 after the intake change, both vin Y & 9 gained 5 hp.

darien99
02-21-07, 10:06 PM
Yes, and you'll add a few more pounds of weight, and a couple extra degrees to the intake charge. :thepan: