: Rear End Whine?

trukk
07-10-06, 05:39 PM
CTS-V owner checking in here.

The CTS-V, along with CTS, STS, SRX, STS-V, Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky all utlize the same diff carrier (internal gearing is different though), the much maligned Getrag 645.

Curious if any STS-V owners have heard any diff whine yet? I was perusing some Sky/Solstice websites, and it would seem that those owners are finding out the hard way too (those poor saps, only have 170 hp too :crybaby: )

Thanks,

Chris

Rachane
07-10-06, 11:09 PM
Curious if any STS-V owners have heard any diff whine yet?
Not here.

scottjsmith
07-11-06, 08:53 AM
Check out this Service Bulletin:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3152g.pdf

I was perusing some Sky/Solstice websites, and it would seem that those owners are finding out the hard way too (those poor saps, only have 170 hp too :crybaby: )
Actually, it's 177, and many stock Sols have been dyno'ed at the low 190's, and the 250 hp is to be released this fall. Don't forget...Thrust/Weight ratio!

(Sol Owner.) :D

Kadonny
07-11-06, 12:04 PM
Wow, great bulletin. I say GM has a tiny problem.....huh?

trukk
07-17-06, 11:43 AM
Check out this Service Bulletin:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3152g.pdf

Actually, it's 177, and many stock Sols have been dyno'ed at the low 190's, and the 250 hp is to be released this fall. Don't forget...Thrust/Weight ratio!

(Sol Owner.) :D

LOL, I wasn't hatin' on your ride :D I was just pointing out even the Kappa's with a lot lower weight / tq are having issues with this axle to :(

This points to an engineering issue with the axle in general, and not just using the wrong part in a HIPO environment.

That TSB is a joke too. Drain oil, refill & put in LSD Additive. It won't fix squat, beyond PERHAPS quieting it down for a few miles.

I'm on my 2nd (the so called 'new' '06 part number too), and it is whining more than the first one. It's only a matter of scheduling time to have it replaced (again). BLECH!!!

-Chris

ewill3rd
07-17-06, 12:25 PM
That is not really a bulletin, it's called a "PI" and it's not really public information yet. It's called preliminary information and as far as I know it's for internal GM use, I could be wrong.

Anyway, that PI does work, I get lots of cars that have that problem, more XLRs than CTSs, but I have done a few CTS rears with that one.
Anyway, point being that changing the fluid and adding the friction modifier fixes one certain type of noise, not any rear end noise.
Remember the friction modifier is to let the clutches slip when they are supposed to and lock when they are supposed to. It's not a noise stopper. If you have a poorly mating ring and pinion or a bad bearing, friction modifier won't help that.

That PI doesn't even relate to the problem you guys are talking about.

It looks to me like that says "®Copyright General Motors, All rights reserved" at the bottom too.

CIWS
07-17-06, 04:44 PM
Wow, great bulletin. I say GM has a tiny problem.....huh?

They know they have a problem and keep rebuilding it into their newest cars....hmmm.

ssstealth
07-18-06, 05:24 AM
Ewill3rd,

Thanks for the clarification... it seemed like the doc covered a specific condition that got close to the condition we have but not quite.

Please understand that this forum is supported by members who have a higher interest in the product that they spent their $$$ on than most.

Most service personnel just don't seem to have an interest in fixing this problem. My girlfriend drives a CTS with the rear end whine and every dealership we take it to just tries to talk us into believing it does not exist. Maybe they are stalling until the warranty expires...

We are hungry for information and a solution, not ammunition. Thanks for your perspective on that bulletin.

Cadillac especially needs to understand that if they want to attract the younger demographic, they must be ready to support them. That means that they may know a little more about cars than Grandpa did!

ewill3rd
07-18-06, 07:08 AM
As I am sure many of you are aware, here at this dealership we don't dismiss your concerns. Some noise is normal but we know how much is too much and don't have any qualms about fixing something that's broken.
I'd like to think that guys like homer, trukk and a few others that let us service their cars regularly know we honestly try.
I don't discount that there is an issue here, I don't know where the problem really lies and right now I don't really want to speculate. All I can say for you guys out of our area is keep trying until you find a dealer that is willing to help you.
In the meantime we'll keep trying to do our best but we are limited in what we can do by what GM will let us do.... we just have to wait until they fix any problems up the line. I know I appreciate the patience and understanding of all my customers when situations that are difficult to resolve crop up.

I think the real issue at heart might be Cadillacs venture into the performance car realm. Traditionally Cadi has been for older people with a more conservative driving style.

CIWS
07-18-06, 10:25 AM
I think the real issue at heart might be Cadillacs venture into the performance car realm. Traditionally Cadi has been for older people with a more conservative driving style.

Totally agree. :thumbsup:

(I sure wish you guys would open a place here in the Dallas area)

Devil_concours
07-23-06, 05:37 PM
As I am sure many of you are aware, here at this dealership we don't dismiss your concerns. Some noise is normal but we know how much is too much and don't have any qualms about fixing something that's broken.
I'd like to think that guys like homer, trukk and a few others that let us service their cars regularly know we honestly try.
I don't discount that there is an issue here, I don't know where the problem really lies and right now I don't really want to speculate. All I can say for you guys out of our area is keep trying until you find a dealer that is willing to help you.
In the meantime we'll keep trying to do our best but we are limited in what we can do by what GM will let us do.... we just have to wait until they fix any problems up the line. I know I appreciate the patience and understanding of all my customers when situations that are difficult to resolve crop up.

I think the real issue at heart might be Cadillacs venture into the performance car realm. Traditionally Cadi has been for older people with a more conservative driving style.Count me in for the lindsay regular list. I had two rear ends replaced there

Kadonny
10-30-06, 01:06 PM
Updates?

Any howling/dripping/replacement STS-V rear diffs?

90Brougham350
10-30-06, 01:48 PM
Some noise is normal but we know how much is too much and don't have any qualms about fixing something that's broken.

Why can't GM build a rear-end like they used to? Think I've ever gotten a single noise, growl, whine, howl, clunk, or bang from the 8.5" 10-bolt in mine? Why would GM design a failing differential from the get-go? Makes no sense to me.

ewill3rd
10-30-06, 02:45 PM
It's actually more like "why can't GM buy a rear end like they used to?".
Remember GM usually contracts out their parts to bidders and then just has them all shipped to the plants for assembly into a car.
These units are built by Getrag.
I would agree that there are a lot of problems reported with this particular unit, not sure I have an answer to the problem. Sometimes I wish I did.

Most of our old units were built by Dana and some other companies I can't remember at the moment.

Lagging Larry
10-30-06, 08:19 PM
Is a whine close to a growl (and yes, I know there are some good jokes here :bigroll: ).

I have an '05 STS, and it has recently started to make some growling noises. The best description I can give is that it sounds (and feels) like you are driving over slightly washboard pavement.

Can't narrow it down enough to repeat it, but I only seem to notice it between 35-55 mph, and under very slight acceleration (like freeway feeder on-ramps). When I take my foot off of the accelerator, the noise stops.

If I mention this to my dealer, think they'll change the fluids if they can't reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

~larry

Silver Dollar
10-31-06, 08:58 AM
..... Traditionally Cadi has been for older people with a more conservative driving style.

So is the Craft-Matic adjustable bed, but like you said, grandpappy doesn't drive like he used to (much to grandmammy's dissapointment)

The point is, Cadillac sold us a Liberator, not a Craft-Matic. It's supposed to be built for driving.

What if my wife and I took the liberator for a spin and I knocked the stuffing out of it on the first drive? What's the manufacturer going to say? It's not meant to be driven like that? It's a Liberator for cripes sake!

Cadillac needs to understand that the V series is marketed to the hip crowd, not the hip replacement crowd.

ewill3rd
10-31-06, 05:32 PM
My point was, that's part of the problem. ;)
I would agree with you.

commander112
10-31-06, 07:53 PM
Is a whine close to a growl (and yes, I know there are some good jokes here :bigroll: ).

I have an '05 STS, and it has recently started to make some growling noises. The best description I can give is that it sounds (and feels) like you are driving over slightly washboard pavement.

Can't narrow it down enough to repeat it, but I only seem to notice it between 35-55 mph, and under very slight acceleration (like freeway feeder on-ramps). When I take my foot off of the accelerator, the noise stops.

Thanks,

~larry

Yup. That is the noise. I refer to it as a groaning noise. But that is it.

Onalaska
11-05-06, 07:17 PM
I just bought a 2005 STS (not V) with about 6,000 miles on it. It has a slight rear end gear whine between 40 and 50 Mph with a light throttle. Took it into the dealer last week and they said they could not duplicate it after driving it for 16 miles. It's there every time I drive it. Has to go back next week for an oil leak, sunroof glass replacement, noisy hood and trunk struts and a few other minor repairs. The service advisor is going for a ride with me this time. I hope I can get these problems ironed out of an otherwise fantastic driving car.

ewill3rd
11-06-06, 05:40 AM
Make sure the car is good and warmed up.
When the fluid warms up any noise that might be there is usually louder.

wesleyb200
03-01-07, 10:18 PM
I own a 2006 STS-v with 12,000 miles and now have a whine in the rear end that starts at 55 to 65 MPH with acceration and stops when you let off the pedal. Dealer says its not bad for a high performance car and will not replace the rear end. They also said that with a new rear end it could be even worse. My question is why was this not a problem for the first 10,000 miles. Also, I had the pinion seal replaced at 2000 miles because of oil leaks, but the dealer says that has nothing to do with the whine problem. My service rep. advised me to call GM Servive Rep. to voice my problem. He said that GM Cadillac wants to make new Cad owners happy.

z06bigbird
03-30-07, 12:13 PM
Read a few threads on the Solstice forum, the CTS forum, etc. Search for rear end noise, rear, rear problems.

Sad.

The good news is that GM also had bad alternators from about 1982 until about 1997. Diodes were soldered to bearing. When bearing overheated, alternator cratered.

But they fixed it--around 1997, give or take a year.

I love the GM products, but dang. It takes an act of congress to correct a major defect.

Look at window failures on later model GM cars. Rampant in my opinion. Also, the device that controls the vents under the dash (only on pass side) of later model DHS and Sedan de Ville cars.

Ed