: Fuel rail leak--another thorn in the side

tco43
02-05-04, 11:14 PM
Coming back from the restaurant this morning, my 96 SLS was leaking a foot-wide trail of gasoline. It leaked 4 - 6 gallons in a 1 mile round trip.
I took off the silver beauty cover and found a leak on the connector hose between #6 and #8 injectors. It was split lengthwise and spraying a hell of a gusher. It looks like a plastic hose connected to plastic nipples on the injectors with no clamps. Just a tight push-on fit. It looks like a lot of broken plastic if I try to remove it. Anybody got any ideas? Bueller? :coolgleam

maydog
02-06-04, 01:49 AM
I just dealt with this problem on the aurora. You could do a stopgap fix with some rubber 3/8 fuel injection hose and some good clamps. The fit would be real tight.

The rail would be fixable except that you cannot get the right size nylon hose. Actually you can but the minimum order from markel is $100.

I was lucky enough that the aurora uses the current rail size and I was able to pick it up for a bout $110. The STS will be much more expensive.

Good Luck

Eldobroken
02-06-04, 02:05 AM
I just dealt with this problem on the aurora. You could do a stopgap fix with some rubber 3/8 fuel injection hose and some good clamps. The fit would be real tight.

The rail would be fixable except that you cannot get the right size nylon hose. Actually you can but the minimum order from markel is $100.

I was lucky enough that the aurora uses the current rail size and I was able to pick it up for a bout $110. The STS will be much more expensive.

Good Luck

Buy a new one do not skimp here. I tried to repair mine on my 1994 eldorado and ended up with my airbox and K&N filter melted from the fire that resulted. I paid $350 for mine but i paid caddy dealer price probally got ripped as there is not much to it. Watch the gaskets and plugs on the injectors very careful here. I do not really remember much more this was about a year ago also wiring harness for injectors is a pain in the ass. Goodluck ,Joe

zonie77
02-06-04, 03:27 PM
I havn't used them but people have commented on better prices from gmpartsdirect.com ...try them or other online parts suppliers