: 9 Spoke rim differences??

Benjamin Simon
07-10-06, 07:10 AM
I really like the 9 spoke rims on the STS. With that being said, I have seen 2 types, both factory. They look the same; however, one rim has 2 small “bolts” between the spokes along the out parameter of the rim and the other does not. Does this have something to do with non-faceted and faceted? Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean? The caddy website mentioned this, but did not give any further details. Sorry about the precise question, it was just really bugging me and keeping me up late.

AllWheelEric
07-10-06, 12:37 PM
I believe Cadillac calls the one with the bolts "faceted." I just call them "impossible to clean."

Benjamin Simon
07-10-06, 01:22 PM
Do these bolts do anything or do they just look cool? Or does that only mean they are Z rated? Caddy says faceted is w rated and non faceted is z rated.

AllWheelEric
07-10-06, 10:30 PM
They just look cool and attract brake dust. Well, I don't really know. Perhaps if you hit a curb, they could disassemble the wheel and replace a part rather than replace the whole wheel.

I don't think the faceted wheels are available on 06's. The 2 catalogs I have are not dated but the newer one does not show them. The older one shows that the faceted wheels wear W-rated rubber. The non-faceted may wear Y-rated rubber. Both W and Y are sort of sub-categories of Z. And of course the speed rating applies to the tire, not the wheel.

I hope this helps.

Cajonkev
07-12-06, 04:14 AM
Faceted are still available on 06's and are predicated on the vehicle package. They are standard on the 1SG at this time.

They do not change anything other than offering a slightly different look and definitely make them harder to clean/wax just as Eric states.

tedasaurus
07-13-06, 09:37 PM
Faceted are still available on 06's and are predicated on the vehicle package. They are standard on the 1SG at this time.

They do not change anything other than offering a slightly different look and definitely make them harder to clean/wax just as Eric states.

I have the bolts on my '05 STS4. They look great and get alot of compliments from car people. They are not hard to clean.

Cajonkev
07-14-06, 02:17 AM
I have the bolts on my '05 STS4. They look great and get alot of compliments from car people. They are not hard to clean.

After 18k on my 05 and another 6k on my 06 feel free to keep mine clean too then!...:bouncy:

robert
07-14-06, 09:24 AM
I also have the faceted wheels on my 05 STS. I use "SIMPLE GREEN" to clean my wheels. Just spray it on the wheels and rinse with water and it washes away brake dust and also cleans facets. Makes my wheels sparkle. I get SIMPLE GREEN from Sam's Club.

Cajonkev
07-17-06, 02:38 PM
Just a clarification that the "facets" are the shape of the spokes. It's the "rivets" that make the cleaning fun...:bouncy:

Benjamin Simon
07-18-06, 05:11 AM
I know this sounds dumb but can you describe what "facet" looks like opposed to "non facet". I define facet as flat, so are the facet wheels smoother? Do all nine spoke have rivets?

Cajonkev
07-21-06, 03:08 PM
The "facets" are the three sided spokes. They are flat on the outer face and then angled on an approx. 45' angle to each side. Just like the flat faced cuts on a diamond ring which are facets also.

There are two versions of the nine spoke facted rims. Riveted and non. The riveted wheels come on the perf. packages and are purely for appearance only. They have no function and the wheel is still single piece aluminum.

Benjamin Simon
07-27-06, 12:11 AM
so riveted means z rated, correct?

Cajonkev
07-27-06, 01:56 AM
Not neccessarily...
The standard Mich Pilots that come with the 1SG Prem Perf Lux package are "W" rated.

I do not think there are any full "Z's" offered on the line.

Keeping in mind that these are all degrees of "Speed" rated tires and if I recall even "W" is rated to something like 166mph...

AllWheelEric
07-27-06, 08:31 PM
I sure wish I had somewhere to drive where the difference between W and Z had a practical application. Nonetheless...

W is for tires rated to 168 MPH. Next level is an Indy car.
See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Cajonkev
07-27-06, 09:36 PM
Guess I better add that 2mph hour back then. Oh wait, the governor already stopped me back at 133!