: Embarrassed by a trip to the Dodge dealership

90Brougham350
07-09-06, 06:36 PM
It's not much of a secret I'm no Mopar fan, but I decided to try and keep an open mind a short time ago when a friend and I went to a local dealership to buy him a Wrangler. Well, his insurance company was being a bitch sending the current information to the dealership (all he had was an expired card) so we sat around the dealership for a long time with nothing to do. I climbed through a Caliber, a 2500 Ram, and a 2001 'Vette.

The Caliber is a depressing attempt by Dodge. I noticed immediately that the styling steals cues from the Mailbu Maxx, and has very little original design in it. The curved part of the roof where it comes down over the back window is nothing more than the straighter lines of the Maxx rounded slightly. As I looked at this, the thought hit me that it was a very "Dodge" thing to do, don't know why I thought that, but I did. The rims are boring, nothing special. So far, so blah. I get into the driver's seat, and a big smile comes over my face. I almost start laughing. The interior, especially the radio and HVAC controls are something I would have expected from the early Celine Dion Chrysler days. The silver plastic everywhere, the metal ring around the knobs, the utter cheap feeling of everything I was looking at sitting in the driver's seat was astounding. I couldn't believe that Dodge was actually selling these things with such a bland, obviously cheap interior. Headroom was fair, I'm 6'1" and I had about an inch and a half, maybe 2 to go. Good for a little car like this. The back seats were average at best. Legroom was not comfortable, I wouldn't want to be back there for any amount of time, but the seats themselves weren't horribly uncomfortable. The rear cargo area, again, average. Enough room to compete with other cars in its class, but nothing special by any means. And of course, everwhere, the cheap-feeling plastic.

Dadillac
07-09-06, 06:51 PM
So when do you pick it up?:thumbsup:

Don

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-09-06, 07:59 PM
The cheap feeling and looking plastic is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of modern Chrysler.

96Fleetwood
07-09-06, 08:35 PM
You guys are funny.. expecting high grade quality craftsmanship in a sub $20K automobile?

I had the opportunity to spend 2 weeks in a Chevy Cobalt while my Fleetwood was under the knife and it felt utterly cheap and fragile compared to my Cadillac.. but that is how cars of this price range are... cheap but get the job done :thumbsup:

90Brougham350
07-09-06, 08:54 PM
I guess I was surprised because when we left, we got back in my 90 Brougham, and I realized just how much of a difference there really is in quality, and appearance. I mean, my Caddy is 16 years old (17 actually, a November of '89 car) and the interior is 10 times the interior of this new Dodge. Now I know it's a Caddy versus a Dodge, but 16 years in design should have made much more of a dent than it did.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-09-06, 09:18 PM
You guys are funny.. expecting high grade quality craftsmanship in a sub $20K automobile?

Theres plenty of sub $20,000 cars that have decent build quality, far better than this Dodge. For example, my brother's 96 Sentra certainly is no Cadillac in the build quality department, but for a $15,000 car in 1996, it's certainly quite good. And on the opposite, there was my '95 Roadmaster Limited, a car that retailed for $29,090 back in 1995, and the build quality in that car was shit with the door panels falling apart and such.

Destroyer
07-09-06, 09:45 PM
The cheap feeling and looking plastic is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of modern Chrysler.Modern of course means the last 40 years right?

black93sts
07-09-06, 09:49 PM
Just look at the VW Golf or the Mazda3. A compact car DOES NOT have to have a cheap looking interior...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-09-06, 09:57 PM
Modern of course means the last 40 years right?

I meant back to about 1993 or so. I don't have much experience with Chryslers before that.

RedGalant2k1
07-09-06, 10:24 PM
Its a mass produced inexpensive car. I bet ergonomically its 10x times easier than your 16 year old Cadillac. If you really want to compare step inside a Chrysler 300c.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-09-06, 10:35 PM
From what I remember, the 300C, and the Charger/Magnum have the same cheap, hard plastics on the dash and door panels.

For what it's worth, the 77-92 Brougham was a hell of a nicely built car. Pretty good materials, but it was all built so solidly, much better than the last gen Fleetwoods I've seen.

96Fleetwood
07-09-06, 10:48 PM
For what it's worth, the 77-92 Brougham was a hell of a nicely built car. Pretty good materials, but it was all built so solidly, much better than the last gen Fleetwoods I've seen.

Having owned both (a 1991 Brougham and 1996 Fleetwood Brougham), I have to disagree.. but that would be a whole different topic :bouncy:

Destroyer
07-09-06, 10:56 PM
From what I remember, the 300C, and the Charger/Magnum have the same cheap, hard plastics on the dash and door panels.

For what it's worth, the 77-92 Brougham was a hell of a nicely built car. Pretty good materials, but it was all built so solidly, much better than the last gen Fleetwoods I've seen.You know, when buying an American car I dont look for quality materials as they are just not there. Whether it be Ford, GM or Chrysler. The imports use better materials on the inside, not all but the majority are better. IMO the interior of my wifes '98 Deville is pure garbage from the cheap headliner to the hard plastics its screams cheap.....not $40k luxury car. My W140 on the other hand is impressive, there isn't one surface on the interior of the whole car that feels cheap or plasticky. My '91 Fleetwood Brougham, even though the materials are not of the highest quality, it feels really well assembled and durable.........pretty much like most old school full size RWD GM cars. I like that feel. And I agree that the later gen Brougham lost some of that feel. I have not been in a new 300 or any new Chrysler except the Durango I recently rented. I hope the craftmanship in that is not indicative of what the 300 is like. I'll still buy a Magnum SRT-8 though. I'll trade off a bit of luxury for 425hp, I just hope it wont be a POS like the '98 Concorde I bought new (swore I'd never buy a Chrysler after that).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-10-06, 12:59 PM
IMO the interior of my wifes '98 Deville is pure garbage from the cheap headliner to the hard plastics its screams cheap.....not $40k luxury car. My W140 on the other hand is impressive, there isn't one surface on the interior of the whole car that feels cheap or plasticky. My '91 Fleetwood Brougham, even though the materials are not of the highest quality, it feels really well assembled and durable.........pretty much like most old school full size RWD GM cars.

I'm not sure about the '98's, but the '92 I have uses great interior materials. Sure the wood isn't real, but it looks and feels the part. Same with the dashboard "plastics", they're soft to touch and feel quite nice. Headliner is the same too, high quality feeling, just like the cloth seats. The Brougham is a lot more ostentatious than the deVilles, but they are solid and high quality too, but no where near a W140. (and god how I want one of those now!)

BTW, I know how you feel about those Concords, they're horrid. My friend's father has an '00 LXi version and I hate riding in it. It makes me seasick and nautious.

DopeStar 156
07-12-06, 12:11 PM
Yeah dude. Go back and check out something like the Magnum or the Durango then complain if it's cheap inside. I'm currently in a love affair with full sized GM SUV's..... Waaaannnnnnnnnt......

Elvis
07-12-06, 02:01 PM
Having owned both (a 1991 Brougham and 1996 Fleetwood Brougham), I have to disagree.. but that would be a whole different topic :bouncy:

I didn't own both, but I did drive both, so I could back you up.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-12-06, 06:52 PM
Yeah dude. Go back and check out something like the Magnum or the Durango then complain if it's cheap inside. I'm currently in a love affair with full sized GM SUV's..... Waaaannnnnnnnnt......

I've driven a few nice Suburbans at work, and a few Yukon XL Denalis, they're quite nice inside, better than the Grand Cherokees. I have to say many of the new Chevy's are really nicely put together. No squeaks and rattles, close panel gaps.