: Cleaning fog lamps

beemer2k
02-05-04, 07:30 PM
My fog lamps are really dull. Anyone know how I would go about removing the lenses to clean them? I took the clips off, but the lenses themselves seem glued on (as they should be) and I don't know how to bypass the glue without damaging the lenses. Also, what would I use and how would I go about cleaning them? Rubbing compound? Some heavy duty space-age cleanser? Lastly, what do I reseal them with? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

brougham
02-05-04, 08:33 PM
Fog lamps on what?

kempie
02-05-04, 09:58 PM
I have screwed up a few in my time so I'll share what I know. They reflective "chrome" rubs off real easy. Windex will "lift" the reflective stuff & it will peel.
To clean a light I now would use dishsoap & water. Take the light off the car and put the solution in & shake it. Rinse well and final rinse W/ 50/50 water & alcohol. If you must rub it use only a soft sponge.

beemer2k
02-05-04, 11:46 PM
Fog lamps on what?
Sorry. 96 STS

pzito
02-13-04, 12:00 AM
My fog lamps are really dull. Anyone know how I would go about removing the lenses to clean them? I took the clips off, but the lenses themselves seem glued on (as they should be) and I don't know how to bypass the glue without damaging the lenses. Also, what would I use and how would I go about cleaning them? Rubbing compound? Some heavy duty space-age cleanser? Lastly, what do I reseal them with? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
ARE THEY PLASTIC OR GLASS

beemer2k
02-14-04, 01:09 AM
Thanks guys, I figured it out. They're plastic. I took the clips off, threw the whole fog lamp (bracket and all) in the oven at 170 for about 10 minutes. The lens came off easily after I worked it away from the adhesive with a thin flathead. I polished the lens, put a bead of black silicone weatherstripping around the housing and put the lens back on.

Vesicant
02-14-04, 09:34 AM
Woah, as long as it didnt de-form the plastic lens... I guess your ok? :suspense:

beemer2k
02-14-04, 10:12 AM
Woah, as long as it didnt de-form the plastic lens... I guess your ok? :suspense:
No, no deforming. I used that Maguires Plastix stuff. The stuff says it's supposed to get out light scratches. I suppose it works ok, but I would have needed something a bit more robust to get the pitting out.

...Oh, you might have meant the heat from the oven deforming the lens? Naa. 170 is fine. It loosened the silicone without softening the plastic. You'd have to go a bit hotter for a bit longer to damage the lens.