: Help me find a V4P

delzy
07-09-06, 02:25 PM
Well, I've been hunting my new FWB for about a year now and I just had a near miss. My brother just inspected and tested a 95 for me and the Traction Control and ABS lights were illuminated. This isn't too big a thing for me as I can likely fix whatever ails the car with the FSM, but I offered $5500 and the seller wouldn't budge below $6000. I think I may have still offered too much for the 90K mile car with trouble indicators. It was garage kept so it was pretty nice outside and in.

It is a Black/Black/Tan Interior with the following options:
GW9 2.93 Rears (Standard Brougham)
KC4 Oil Cooling
KD1 Transmission Cooling
V03 Cooling system extra capacity
V4S Merchandised Package Fleetwood Brougham
No V4P.

I'm not really sure which of these are standard with the FWB, but I will be towing 5000# + with it so I'm just wondering if this one could have handled it. What would be required to make it take that kind of load since it wasn't a V4P. I suspect that I could have changed the gear to 3.42 and added oveload springs to the back and it would have been almost a V4P.

Well anyway, I'm still on the hunt for a nice 95 or 96 V4P. So if you know of any or come across any, please let me know. All comments welcome, thanks.

96Fleetwood
07-09-06, 04:42 PM
Best of luck with the search. I searched 1.5 years for mine! I wanted a 96 Black with Grey Leather and Moonroof with under 80K miles. I finally found it on eBay in December 2005 :thumbsup: and have loved every minute of owning it and especially modifying it!

caddycruiser
07-09-06, 05:59 PM
That one actually sounds like an AWESOME combo--especially the colors.

But, you are right, it wouldn't be the best for towing that much. I spot V4P's from time to time on the net, and they really are desirable from a "beefed up" standpoint. I'll keep my eye out too!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-09-06, 09:07 PM
Do you see more V4P's on the Fleetwoods or the Fleetwood Broughams?

And how come the FWB's could tow 7000 lbs with their towing package, and the Roadmasters could only pull 5000 lbs with theirs?

BCs71
07-10-06, 11:36 AM
And how come the FWB's could tow 7000 lbs with their towing package, and the Roadmasters could only pull 5000 lbs with theirs?

The B4U Caprice (tow Package w/ LT1) and Tow package Roadmaster and wagons have, which is heavy duty cooling (oil and tranny coolers) along with a primary mechanical cooling fan. These cars pull 5000 lbs.

The V4P Fleetwood package has the same heavy duty cooling stuff. The difference, however, is that you can get the 3.42 rear gears which allows an addition 2000 lbs of towing potential (7K max).
According to NODIH the PCM has different shifting patterns and other tweaks also....

BCs71
07-10-06, 11:41 AM
I'm not really sure which of these are standard with the FWB, but I will be towing 5000# + with it so I'm just wondering if this one could have handled it. What would be required to make it take that kind of load since it wasn't a V4P. I suspect that I could have changed the gear to 3.42 and added oveload springs to the back and it would have been almost a V4P.

I think you will want a standard Brougham at the very least if you cannot find a V4P. V4P would be ideal, obviously, since it really was built to tow.

There was supposedly an option to get heavy duty cooling on a Fleetwood Brougham which allowed you to pull 5000 pounds.
But most Broughams I think do not have the mechanical fan and pretty wimpy rear springs, but the cooling capacity is already there. SO adding rear springs and the mech fan setup would put you right there (I have an extra mech fan setup, BTW).

N0DIH
07-13-06, 02:49 AM
V92 is the "light" duty 5000# tow package, but honestly once V4P came out, I have never heard of a V92. I suspect it replaced it.

The V4P has a special trans too, larger accumulators to accomodate the 3.42's.

If you are looking for mush ride and soft slushy trans shifting, the V4P isn't for you. If you like as close to a factory "V" car as the Fleetwood ever got, the V4P IS for you. It is sorta brutish at times. Not so refined and mushy. But I like it that way. You nail the gas and you fly.... The trans is definately there to keep slippage in towing at a minimum. My trans is factory at nearly 194K miles. No signs of slippage yet.

As for other things that V4P has or hasn't, I think the trans and 3.42's and the PCM tune is really it. Unless it got beefier frame that the non V4P's didn't get. But I have no idea how to find out.

Don't expect killer mpg's though....

caddycruiser
07-15-06, 06:04 PM
Here's a BEAUTIFUL '94 "Holy Grail" (i.e., it has EVERYTHING) white/tan Brougham in Cali. Has the tow package, power sunroof, and factory chrome wheels, and just over 100k miles for a great price.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/car/181809804.html

N0DIH
07-15-06, 06:11 PM
Just make sure, most people think "tow package" means that it has a hitch.

Ensure it has RPO V4P, and also things to look for are the factory trailering harness in the trunk under the velco panel on the left side. It is a factory 5 pin, has a pigtail for your trailer too.

The only thing the V4P is missing in reality that Cadillac didn't install, was the 9C1 fuse block, that is needed to break out power for the trailer (you ARE towing 7000 lbs, so you MUST have a trailer brake!), but it isn't there. Dumb thing to be missing....

Cool on the find! Hopefully it is what you are looking for. Amazingly enough, mine was found on the first find, I didn't believe it had it till I saw it. I was in shock!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-06, 06:36 PM
I drove a '96 Caprice Classic at work the other day. I forgot how big those old B and D bodies are. They truly feel a lot bigger than the FWD deVilles and I noticed that it rode a lot smoother than my '92. A lot quieter inside too, and the LT1 is a lot smoother and quieter than the 4.9, and it does feel like it's got a bit more low end power than my motor. It's hard to tell though.

Anyways, driving that really makes me want a Fleetwood, even if the dash is like 6 feet deep and theres only a speedometer inside! :p

BCs71
07-18-06, 03:38 PM
and the LT1 is a lot smoother and quieter than the 4.9, and it does feel like it's got a bit more low end power than my motor. It's hard to tell though.

330 lbs/ft or torque under 2500 rpms! Usually pretty easy to tell the power is there if you stab the go pedal from a stoplight. :eek: :bouncy: :rolleyes:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-19-06, 12:02 AM
330 lbs/ft or torque under 2500 rpms! Usually pretty easy to tell the power is there if you stab the go pedal from a stoplight. :eek: :bouncy: :rolleyes:

True, but 275 lb/ft at 3000 rpm is nothing to bash either, especially if the car it's in weighs ~650 lbs less than a Fleetwood.

N0DIH
07-19-06, 09:06 AM
Nope, my 91 SDV was no sloutch either. I never tried a 1/4mil time or 0-60 due to fear of the transmission going up in smoke. I didn't trust it like I do the 4L60E in my FW. Not to mention pulling a 4T60E is a nightmare, and on a FW the 4L60E can come out in about 1hr.

I had a couple reasons to buy my FW and sell my SDV. Ease of working on, and reliability. I put on between 100 and 120 miles a day on my car to get to work and back, so a dead nuts reliable car is mandatory. I can't get into something that is gonna be a maint headache. The FW is one of the most reliable cars ever made. In the last 50K miles, I have done brakes and oil changes, plugs and a front end alignment. That is it. I do want to get in and swap my Opti, I highly suspect it is original. And same with my water pump, but still is doing fine.