: J.D. Powers Initial Quality Survey - what a scam?

thu
07-09-06, 12:08 AM
Check it out. After reading this, you won't view the JD Powers Initial Quality Survey (IQS) quite the same anymore:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1592

What got me about the article was the statement:

"The reason why J.D. Power lumps design quality into the IQS is clear: without it, the [quality] differences between brands are rarely worth debating."

RedGalant2k1
07-09-06, 10:43 PM
I don't see anything wrong with JD Power and Associates surveys, even after reading that.

thu
07-10-06, 01:37 AM
It used to be that the JDP IQS tracked problem defects/resolutions in vehicles.

Bottom line of the article is that JD Powers found that the actual quality of different makes is statistically small and not very exciting and a hard sell. So, in order to "jazz" things up, they ask customers to grade how the car is designed, which doesn't have anything to do with quality. The survey is now one of taste.

My issue with the JDP IQS (if the article is, in fact, truthful) is that JD Powers is now asking customers to subjectively grade how things are designed. Not the quality survey expected. For instance, the JDP IQS asks if customers like the cupholders whether or not anything is wrong with them.

"Combining two very different elements into a single score makes it unclear what the number represents. Yet this score receives 99 percent of the press coverage and 100 percent of the ad citations."

AznPrydeRegalRyde
07-10-06, 05:27 PM
I use to swear by JD Power. But even before this article, I stopped paying attention. Opinion should NEVER have say if quality is the issue.

thu
07-10-06, 11:03 PM
Yes, I agree. The study should be about FACTS, not what they think of this or that or the color or how pretty something is. It needs to be objective or it's just another car review editorial.

ewill3rd
07-11-06, 07:22 AM
Sounds like any "poll" they ask you the questions to get the answers they want, not to get real answers.
I have never put any faith in what JD power has to say.

noahsdad
07-11-06, 01:50 PM
I've never put much stock in initial quality survey numbers of any kind. These days, production tolerances are so good and so similar from one manufacturer to the next, virtually any new car will be impressive as hell for the first few months/miles.

What I want to know is how owners rate a car a year after the warranty runs out.

Caddy Man
07-11-06, 04:38 PM
i agree with noahsdad...new cars rarely have problems...who cares if it has 1 problem? It could have been anything. What I want to see is long term tests concerning durability and reliability. A new car should not have any problems or any major ones at that. Pointless survey in my opinion.