: hardest water pump to install

weaselzz
07-08-06, 07:07 PM
93 N* water pump has to be the hardest i have ever done, well cant really say done cause i cant get the old one out. I am at my wits end with this thing. It just doesnt budge.

I went and got the tool and was turning it clock-wise and what happened is that the tool stripped and mauled up the tangs on the old pump so bad that now the tool wont even grip it. I then pushed down the tangs that keep the water pump in place and dont let it go past a certain point. Well, the tool once again mauled them too and the pump never budged, not one bit.

So if anyone has any idea what to do I would appreciate it. If i cant get that out and put the new pump in, which i am hopeing will help or fix the over heating problem, then I am just gonna sell the pile for a couple grand.

Ranger
07-08-06, 09:47 PM
Which tool are you using? The cheap stamped steel $15 one from Lysle or a good $80 one from Snap-on or Kentmore? I ask becasue I have heard that the cheap ones tend to slip. Try an impact wrench. A few sharp bursts are usually better than constant pressure. If you don't have one, then a cheater pipe on the breaker bar may help. As a last resort, put it back together and take it to someone who has the tools to do it. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay someone else.

Rob Benham
07-09-06, 02:33 AM
Can you [very carefully] heat the outer casting? It will make a huge difference. perhaps run the engine with everything ready to get at it again quickly. then use an electronics or plumbers freezing spray to cool the inner part.

Er, this is a last ditch method...don't come crying to me if the casting cracks. ;-)

white97deville
07-12-06, 08:37 PM
When I replaced my water pump I sprayed some good quality penetrating lube all around those tangs for a couple of days before putting the tool on the pump because of the horror stories that I've heard about getting the old pump out.

I also already had a Snap-On tool.

Went and put the tool on a long breaker bar and was prepared for a fight but it simply turned right out with very little pressure needed to turn it.

Put the new one in lined up correctly with a little grease on the o-ring and it also slid right in.

I hope that you have this out by now! If not good luck!

Jonathan