: Thinking of selling my Town Car for a

Sandy
07-08-06, 05:09 PM
Thinking of selling my Town Car privately (2003 with 10,000 miles) and ordering up a 2007 Mustang GT Convertible, in Grabber Orange, with black cloth roof & black leather with full aluminum accent package, Emission Systems Override, 5-Speed Automatic with Overdrive, Dual power Seats with heat & auto Dimming R/V Mirror, Sport Appearance Pkg., Luxury Interior UPgrade Pkg., Shaker 1000 Stereo/CD & MP3, Cloth Roof, Top Boot, Polished 18" GTR Wheels with Pony Spinners, Driver & Passenger SIDE air bags, Anti Theft System, Duck Tail Spoiler, Signal Mirrors, Sequential Taillamps, "Mustang" Door Sill Plates, and Hood Struts.

Get done, it's like $ 42,700 ! Look over at 2007 Town Car, Super Loaded & it's $ 46,020, Gezz, only $ 3,000 more. Seems like alot more car, somehow.

Destroyer
07-08-06, 06:20 PM
Get done, it's like $ 42,700 ! Look over at 2007 Town Car, Super Loaded & it's $ 46,020, Gezz, only $ 3,000 more. Seems like alot more car, somehow.Sounds nice but that is a lot of coin for a GT model Sandy. Personally, I'd get a nice second hand low mileage '05 and customize from there, but thats me. Do what makes you happy.:thumbsup: Be ready to get nailed hard with the sale of the Town Car as they are virtually worthless after 3-5 years compared to what they cost new.

96Fleetwood
07-08-06, 06:21 PM
Go for a GT500 Convertible. My Dad's GT500 coupe is scheduled for delivery in late August/early September. The convertible is still a tad under $50K I believe :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-06, 06:42 PM
Sandy, why a Mustang? I thought you were a luxury car lover.

SpeedyArizona
07-08-06, 07:56 PM
Thinking of selling my Town Car privately (2003 with 10,000 miles) and ordering up a 2007 Mustang GT Convertible, in Grabber Orange, with black cloth roof & black leather with full aluminum accent package, Emission Systems Override, 5-Speed Automatic with Overdrive, Dual power Seats with heat & auto Dimming R/V Mirror, Sport Appearance Pkg., Luxury Interior UPgrade Pkg., Shaker 1000 Stereo/CD & MP3, Cloth Roof, Top Boot, Polished 18" GTR Wheels with Pony Spinners, Driver & Passenger SIDE air bags, Anti Theft System, Duck Tail Spoiler, Signal Mirrors, Sequential Taillamps, "Mustang" Door Sill Plates, and Hood Struts.

Wow....I'm speechless....

Good luck, although $42,000 is a good amount of coin for a Mustang. I personally don't care for the convertible, the 'Stang loses all of its' beautiful lines without the Fastback Coupe look. But then again, I'm not writing the check:D. Just one piece of advice that you should follow, DO NOT get the Shaker 1000 system, it is COMPLETE crap! I've heard the 1000's and the 500's (standard) and the 1000 sounded grainey compared to the clearness of the 500. And what does the 1000 cost, $700 I believe? The 500 sounds clear but stay away from the 1000.

Go for a GT500 Convertible. My Dad's GT500 coupe is scheduled for delivery in late August/early September. The convertible is still a tad under $50K I believe

Anything car with the name "Shelby" will sell like hotcakes. They look nice but it's hard to justify a $15,000-$20,000 increase from the base Mustang GT. It's good to see Carroll back in the car game though, definetly a legend.

thebigjimsho
07-08-06, 08:33 PM
Yeah, guys, I think Sandy is using sarcasm. All your arguments were, in a subtle way, his.

ted tcb
07-08-06, 08:51 PM
Sandy:
I'd keep my virtually new '03 Town Car, and not give up a penny in needless depreciation to the dealer.

Mustang?? I don't think so ... you drive one of the smoothest rides in the world ... to you, the TC is still worth every bit of the $40k you dropped on her.
I think you're teasing us.

Elvis
07-09-06, 07:59 AM
He had me going until I read "grabber orange" and I knew he was bullshtting us!

SpeedyArizona
07-09-06, 09:34 AM
Damn...I hate getting played a fool:leaving:!

addison_ii
07-09-06, 12:03 PM
Sandy that's not right!! Keep the TC. But somehow I think you're laughing as you look at this thread. Hmmm I smell a Sandy prank here.

Sandy
07-09-06, 12:19 PM
Okay, in order I will attempt to answer...

Destroyer: I have a willing to wait buyer for the Town Car @ $24,000.
I paid $ 40,000 + 6% NJ sales tax. There was a $4,000 Factory Rebate, so it was really $44,000, after a $2,400 Dealer Discount. Window sticker was $ 46,500.00

96 Fleetwood: All Shelbys are Sticks. I can't drive a stick. Must be Auto !

"I-Love-Caddies" : I am a Luxury car lover, BUT the '07 'Stang rings my bells! It's the best "retro" job ever done, and from what I've seen it's a terrific car.

Speedy:- I agree on the "more Mustang" looks of the fastback, but I am a convertible lover at heart. Until they stopped making Luxury Converts, that was all I ever had. 1 Imperial Crown Convert - 1 DeVille Convert & 2 Eldo Converts. Then went to a couple Mustang 'Verts....

Ted TCB:- Your statement *IS* THE reason I am home typing this and not at my Ford dealer ordering it !! I can add Nothing. This 2003 has been the #1 best car I have ever owned, and I've owned like 27-30 cars.
5 Imperials; 3 Lincolns; 4 Cadillacs; 1 Mercury; 3 Mustangs; 1 Jeep; 2 Buicks; 2 Corvettes, 1 Chevy Impala SS; 1 Chrysler 300 Convertible; a Used AMC Pacer (to "save the Corvette from Snow); a GTO Convertible, etc, etc,
the 2003 Town Car is #1.

Elvis: It **IS** actually the Grabber Orange that roped me in. I LOVE that color ! I love COLOR, remember, I was the guy that ordered the Flamingo Pink Mark 7 Coupe !! I LIKE color. A GT 'Vert in Grabber Orange is HOT !

Addison, no prank, honest people. I am really seriously thinking about doing it.

Maybe ..... The devil in me says DO IT !
The sane side of brain says: Take an asprin and lay down.....
Whom do I listen to ???

PS / Wife says, Do it if you want it.......No complaints to hear....

addison_ii
07-09-06, 12:23 PM
Maybe ..... The devil in me says DO IT !
The sane side of brain says: Take an asprin and lay down.....
Whom do I listen to ???

PS / Wife says, Do it if you want it.......No complaints to hear....

Take the Asprin. :histeric: Would you really be comfortable in the GT?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-09-06, 12:54 PM
Sandy, how about a super low mileage '70s Eldorado Convertible? Or a super low mileage Imperial Lebaron Convertible?

Side note, where did you find "Grabber Orange"? I checked Ford's site and they don't show any oranges for the '06 Mustangs.

Sandy
07-09-06, 05:39 PM
I have the 2007 color chart. Grabber Orange is new for '07.

I-Luv-Caddies; there was never an Imperial LeBaron Convertible. The last Imperial Convert was 1968 Imperial Crown Convert. I had one, bought it brand new, fresh outta college, no job, no income. $78.00 a month car payment and $37.00 @ month car insurance. Then I got a job assembling bikes for a major mega store and made $117.00 a week. I was in heaven ! I had one heII of a hard time making those payments, but never missed one. Spent many a weekend home, alone, with zero $$$ to do anything much.
From then on I decided it was wiser to pay cash.

FYI, Imperial Converts were from 1957 to 1968. 12 years.

Elvis
07-09-06, 09:03 PM
If you love it, you MUST do it!

You have my blessing!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-09-06, 09:20 PM
I-Luv-Caddies; there was never an Imperial LeBaron Convertible. The last Imperial Convert was 1968 Imperial Crown Convert. I had one, bought it brand new, fresh outta college, no job, no income. $78.00 a month car payment and $37.00 @ month car insurance. Then I got a job assembling bikes for a major mega store and made $117.00 a week. I was in heaven ! I had one heII of a hard time making those payments, but never missed one. Spent many a weekend home, alone, with zero $$$ to do anything much.
From then on I decided it was wiser to pay cash.

I checked back in my '67 Imperial brochure tonight and you are right, it is a Crown, not a Lebaron. Either way, it's a beautifiul car!

Is grabber orange an old color? The name sounds familiar.

addison_ii
07-10-06, 12:17 PM
Sandy I'm with Elvis now, you only live once and if this is what you really want go for it!! Hey ILuvCaddys, I thought that Grabber Orange sounded familiar, but then I remembered it may have been Hugger Orange.

Spyder
07-10-06, 12:18 PM
Do you think they'd let you take it for a two or three day test drive? Unlikely, I know, but you could go on a long drive and spend a full day in it before you buy...hell, what am I talking about...you know more about buying cars than anyone on here...If it feels right, do it! Especially with the wife's approval!!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-10-06, 01:05 PM
Hey ILuvCaddys, I thought that Grabber Orange sounder familiar, but then I remembered it may have been Hugger Orange.

1969 Camaro. :D

Sandy
07-10-06, 02:25 PM
Grabber Orange, Grabber Green & Grabber Blue were 1969 Shelby Exclusive Colors, later tricklled down to Mavericks and lessor Mustangs. Grabber Yellow also came on board that that time. Just very bright colors.

Sandy
07-10-06, 02:28 PM
Grabber Orange, Grabber Green & Grabber Blue were 1969 Shelby Exclusive Colors, later tricklled down to Mavericks and lessor Mustangs. Grabber Yellow also came on board that that time. Just very bright colors.

Here she be:-

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/images/GT500%20orange%20convert%20white%20stripes.jpg

DBA-One
07-10-06, 02:38 PM
42k for a 'vert Mustang and it is not a Saleen? What am I missing?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-10-06, 03:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Saleens are rather stripped, this Mustang has things his Town Car doesnt.

DBA-One
07-10-06, 03:49 PM
And has as much weight as the TC as well!

Sandy
07-10-06, 04:28 PM
A loaded out Saleen S281 'Vert lists for over $53,000 !

DBA-One
07-10-06, 04:30 PM
For that I'll take a previous gen Z06 and have it twin turbo'd. I used to really love Mustangs but I'd never pay that for one.

Destroyer
07-10-06, 04:48 PM
For that I'll take a previous gen Z06 and have it twin turbo'd. I used to really love Mustangs but I'd never pay that for one.We are on the same page here. Mustangs to me represented good bang for the buck. Back in the days where you could get an LX 5.0 for under $14k brand new. If I have to lay down close to $50k, its not gonna happen.

DBA-One
07-10-06, 04:59 PM
Werd. When we start talking about 50k to spend on a car a Mustang isn't something that comes to mind.

brougham
07-10-06, 05:03 PM
Keep the Town Car. You'll probably get sick of the mustang anyway and want the Town Car back after you get rid of it because it feels so much more comfortable. Or just wait for a few years until you can get a used Mustang and then you got both of them!!

I saw a pink 1960 Imperial yesterday that you would have loved!!

DBA-One
07-10-06, 05:09 PM
Have you considered a '03 or '04 Cobra? Now that is a bad ass car and on the used car market it is a bargain.

Sandy
07-10-06, 08:18 PM
I would never be happy with a used car. I always wnat MY color & MY options, and like that kinda stuff.It probably comes from being in the car business for 27 years! I have never even ever bought a car out of delaer's stock. Gotta be ordered. It's my "thing" ~ Been "around" cars since age 5. I've had 3 Special Paint cars, made for me at the factory, my 1993 Caddy 60 Special is a 1-off done by the Fleetwood Trim Shop, had a Playboy Pink Mark 7, factory made, and a Fire Engine Red Imperial LeBaron, back in 1975. I know that the Grabber Orange GT would be far from a 1-off, but, it is different. 'Ya, I'm fussy. Not into sports, Atrlantic City, New York nightlife, stock market, art & science....just cars. It's my thing.......

Just not sure after 60 days if I'd regret going from a Town Car Limited Edition with everything on Ford Goodie Shelf, to a small Mustang.
Caddies are out, don't like their "style" and they are overpriced. Not alot out there.....Looked at a Jag S-Type. Could not fit in the thing, yet I fit comy into the 'Stang....
I'd like to place an order for a 1969 Impala SS Convert with the 427 V8 and all options....... Hugger Orange~

96Fleetwood
07-10-06, 10:01 PM
Not even a STS-V Sandy? That would combine the luxury of the TC with the brute performance that surpasses the Mustang.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-10-06, 10:41 PM
Xlr-v?

SpeedyArizona
07-10-06, 11:31 PM
Xlr-v?

I highly doubt an XLR-V is in his price range....

Sandy
07-10-06, 11:40 PM
Brougham......just realized that I know the owner of THAT Pink 1960 Imperial !! I didn't realize it, until I saw you were in CANADA! Yup, know him. It was his grandfather's car and he has been restoring it. It's a 4-Dr Southampton Crown, with the"tire" on the trunk lid.

I don't like the STS because it always looks like it's going down a steep hill. The front looks like it's kissing the pavement, and that the back end is wearing 22's .... They don't "look" "Cadillac" ~ they look Japanese.

I would not buy a XLR as they are way too much money, and I need a back seat. IF I was dropping $90,000 for a car, it would be a Jag XK Coupe, hands down!

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_frankfurt/xk/images/01.jpg

96Fleetwood
07-11-06, 06:36 AM
Do they at least offer sunroof as an option on the new XK coupe unlike the previous generations...

Elvis
07-11-06, 06:55 PM
If they offer those two chicks inside for $90,000 I'd be interested too.

brougham
07-11-06, 07:10 PM
Brougham......just realized that I know the owner of THAT Pink 1960 Imperial !! I didn't realize it, until I saw you were in CANADA! Yup, know him. It was his grandfather's car and he has been restoring it. It's a 4-Dr Southampton Crown, with the"tire" on the trunk lid.

I don't like the STS because it always looks like it's going down a steep hill. The front looks like it's kissing the pavement, and that the back end is wearing 22's .... They don't "look" "Cadillac" ~ they look Japanese.

I would not buy a XLR as they are way too much money, and I need a back seat. IF I was dropping $90,000 for a car, it would be a Jag XK Coupe, hands down!

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_frankfurt/xk/images/01.jpg

I don't think the one I saw had the wheel on the trunk lid. But maybe it did. Wheres that car supposed to be? That will probably tell for sure if it's the same one or not because I don't think there are too many of them around here.

Sandy
07-11-06, 08:10 PM
I don't remember, DARN! I either met him on here, or the Town Car board. Then again, maybe he dropped off. I'll go make a post over on the Town Car board (www.lincolntowncar.org)

thebigjimsho
07-11-06, 08:31 PM
I would never be happy with a used car. I always wnat MY color & MY options, and like that kinda stuff.It probably comes from being in the car business for 27 years! I have never even ever bought a car out of delaer's stock. Gotta be ordered. It's my "thing" ~ Been "around" cars since age 5. I've had 3 Special Paint cars, made for me at the factory, my 1993 Caddy 60 Special is a 1-off done by the Fleetwood Trim Shop, had a Playboy Pink Mark 7, factory made, and a Fire Engine Red Imperial LeBaron, back in 1975. I know that the Grabber Orange GT would be far from a 1-off, but, it is different. 'Ya, I'm fussy. Not into sports, Atrlantic City, New York nightlife, stock market, art & science....just cars. It's my thing.......

Just not sure after 60 days if I'd regret going from a Town Car Limited Edition with everything on Ford Goodie Shelf, to a small Mustang.
Caddies are out, don't like their "style" and they are overpriced. Not alot out there.....Looked at a Jag S-Type. Could not fit in the thing, yet I fit comy into the 'Stang....
I'd like to place an order for a 1969 Impala SS Convert with the 427 V8 and all options....... Hugger Orange~I bought my first new car at the age of 27. It wasn't my first choice of car('01 Accord coupe) but it did have the options and color I wanted.

But my second new car, the V, was ordered just how I wanted it. There may have been only 2 exterior and 2 interior colors with only a couple options, but to actually fill out an order form for my car was quite exhilerating(I think I spelled that incorrectly)! And to pick up my V was a feeling like no other.

TomDeville
07-12-06, 12:37 AM
BTW- That would be exhilarating (a not e).

Sandy is correct on all counts, as usual.
I have never thought of the STS as Japanese
looking, prior to now.

TomDeville
:cool2:

Sandy
07-12-06, 09:13 AM
But my second new car, the V, was ordered just how I wanted it. There may have been only 2 exterior and 2 interior colors with only a couple options, but to actually fill out an order form for my car was quite exhilerating(I think I spelled that incorrectly)! And to pick up my V was a feeling like no other.

exactly !

Sandy
07-12-06, 09:25 AM
BTW- That would be exhilarating (a not e).

Sandy is correct on all counts, as usual.
I have never thought of the STS as Japanese
looking, prior to now.

TomDeville
:cool2:

It's too expensive, too small on the inside, too small on the exterior, totally void of any decrotive trim, too plain vanilla looking, and looks like it's wearing 15 inch tires/wheels on the front and 22's on the rear. The sides are flat as a wall (from top to bottom ~ as in from the window sill to the rocker panel) or as in North to South on the car's flanks. The DTS looks Cadillac-esque. The STS looks mid level Lexus / Infiniti or like a M35 or a GS or IS350.

The only domestics that still look like a luxury car are the DTS & the Town Car. Last years Buick Park Avenue Ultra also, but the new Lucerne looks like an Impala ~ a nice Impala ~ but still an Impala.

AirJigga25
07-12-06, 09:43 AM
i recently rented a towncar for a trip in Florida. They suck!! not impressed at all...

thebigjimsho
07-12-06, 11:05 AM
i recently rented a towncar for a trip in Florida. They suck!! not impressed at all...Yeah, but for the blue hairs and the chauffeurs, they can't be beat!

Sandy
07-12-06, 03:08 PM
Ahhh, but the key there is it was an abused RENTAL ! Mine has not a single squeek, creak, nor rattle. It's so quiet you can hear a person in thebackseat whispering! Smooth? So smooth it makes the roads all seem repaved yesterday. Excellent visibility and since the 2003's new suspension, excellent cornering for a car 215 inches long & 4,300 pounds!
No, performance-wise it's NOT a CTS-V nor a STS-V, that is true. But for normal driving, it's enough. My neignbor 7 houses away is 31, his new bride is 30 and they just bought one, and I am not a "Blue-Hair" (or whatever that was you said,) & this is my 3rd Lincoln, preceeded by my '93 Sixty Special, which was preceeded by 5 Imperials. This all began when I was 23.
I also like Corvettes & Mustang GTs and Buick GN-X and older Olds 4.4.2.s and any Hemi. But, for many many many drives down to college to see the offspring, over tar-strips, potholes, concrete roads with joints, asphault roads with expansion joints, bridges with similiar expansion joints, and the like, for 104 miles, I'll take a Town Car any day, over some yung punks Nissan Sentra or Honda street racer !

Destroyer
07-12-06, 04:14 PM
Mine has not a single squeek, creak, nor rattle. It's so quiet you can hear a person in thebackseat whispering! Kinda like previewing what eternity will be like in a coffin!:eek:

96Fleetwood
07-12-06, 05:47 PM
Yeah, but for the blue hairs and the chauffeurs, they can't be beat!

Funny you mention that. When I picked up my friend from the Miami International Airport last week, there was about 15 chauffeurs all driving new Lincoln Towncar "L" models.. in black. I pulled in across from them and one of the drivers came over to me and asked if he could look at the Fleetwood. Then a couple more chauffeurs ventured over and they said they miss the '94-96 LT1 Fleetwoods and how they were the best while they were in service :thumbsup:

http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/a/07/a8/dc/16_4.JPG

vs.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Image163.jpg

Sandy
07-12-06, 08:50 PM
Ya, those Fleetwoods were nice!! REAL nice ! Should have never ended that line. Great engine, frame, interior, everything about them was great. Sadly, the newest one is now 10 years old.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-12-06, 10:18 PM
Back in the '90s, The T/C and Fleetwood both had those longer, lower, flatter styles. Then in '98 Lincoln made the t/c into the more bulbous and rounded, do you think GM would have done the same with the Fleetwood if they kept it?

77CDV
07-12-06, 10:47 PM
Back in the '90s, The T/C and Fleetwood both had those longer, lower, flatter styles. Then in '98 Lincoln made the t/c into the more bulbous and rounded, do you think GM would have done the same with the Fleetwood if they kept it?

Just follow the evolution of the DeVille, and you'll have a pretty good idea of where the Fleetwood's styling would have gone post-1996.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-12-06, 11:11 PM
Just follow the evolution of the DeVille, and you'll have a pretty good idea of where the Fleetwood's styling would have gone post-1996.

No thanks! :crybaby:

thebigjimsho
07-13-06, 12:09 PM
I've always been a GM guy. But I definitely prefer the Town Car L to pretty much any other vehicle when it comes to practicality and value as far as the Livery business is concerned.

When the Town Car went to Batmobile in '98, I HATED the look. But I loved the still supple but refined ride. Interior and trunk room suffered greatly, however. Finally, they produced the L. And when it came out with a redesign in 2003, I think Lincoln really nailed it.

My '04 Town Car L has great room, a great ride and classic but modern styling.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL555/2287429/4482063/56268512.jpg

Sandy
07-13-06, 03:16 PM
Your
Town Car is very nice. I would bought the "L" myself, but in 2003 (not sure about '04/'05/'06) you could NOT get the Power Sun Roof WITH the "L" !! I preferred the Sun Roof.

Go to a Chrysler or Dodge dealer & check out the 300C / Charger or Magnum's door panels! They are made of recycled plastic soda pop bottles,
into which they stamp a grain to make it look like vinyl or leather.
The panels are hard as rocks.
Dealers in many cases are hounding MOPAR to stop this. The door panels get dirty and CANNOT be cleaned !! The dirt or grease gets on them from the transport driver's pants or tools and is a bear to get clean. Nearly impossible. Can you imagine HOW those panels will look in 3 years ?
Our Lincolns have PADDED soft touch door panels that simulate leather and
are easily cleaned with vinyl / leather cleaner. The horsepower in the CryoDodges is a turn on. The interior's cheapness turns me off.
It smacks of 1968 Chevy Nova door panel design, materials & texture.
Base Model Nova, that is ! :rant2:

brougham
07-13-06, 05:32 PM
I like the newer Town Cars from 1998 and newer better then the old ones but I hate the inside!! It was so much nicer on the 1995-1997 ones.

Did you find anything about that Imperial yet Sandy?

thebigjimsho
07-13-06, 06:56 PM
Yeah Sandy, Acton Lincoln in MA has a Fleet department. Nothing but black Executive and Executive L series everywhere you look. Pretty much a base car. Next one I get gets a dealer installed moonroof. But these guys REALLY MOVE these Town Cars. When you offer a $45,500 car for $38G, you tend to have a high volume moved.

Sandy
07-13-06, 08:27 PM
Brougham, no. I can't recall if it was here or over at the Town Car site, where we met. I posted over there & nothing....yet.

Big Jim, $$12,000 can be gotten off a new '06 Town Car, right now! $ 7,000 factory-to-cunsumer-REBATE, $2,500 from dealership, off of MSRLP, $500 of the $1,000 "Dealer Bonus Money" and $1,000 LOYALITY for current Town Car owners, totals! So, that $50,000 sticker is really $ $38,000
Don't forget to toss your salesman a $20.00 "tip" ~ you'd be amazed at how far that will go !

thebigjimsho
07-13-06, 08:55 PM
Yummy, I'll have to pay my salesman a visit this week. I just got out of the fleet warranty of 150,000 miles. I'm at 153K and counting...

Sandy
07-13-06, 10:13 PM
You've got 150,000 miles on her? In 2 years ? My 2003 is at 10,100 miles !
WAIT! You work for a Drug Store in Vermont and make weekly deliveries to Oregon ?? :eek: :bouncy: :) :)