: 94 caddy coolant leak

fmesi
07-07-06, 07:40 PM
i have a 94 DeVille Concours 133,000 miles, the coolant light comes on to check coolant, about once a week, i add a little and the issue goes away, i also notice coolant on the ground, looks like it coming from the radiator overflow tank. any ideas on the problem thanks

Ranger
07-07-06, 08:30 PM
Sometimes the tanks develope small cracks. Check the tip of the overflow hose. If that is wet, then the problem is overheating as opposed to a tank leak.

fmesi
07-08-06, 04:19 PM
Sometimes the tanks develope small cracks. Check the tip of the overflow hose. If that is wet, then the problem is overheating as opposed to a tank leak.

What would be some of the problems of overheating????

Elmer Fudd
07-08-06, 05:00 PM
I suppose a plugged radiatior would cause overheating. Either plugged internally with gunk or rust, or even if you have enough bugs and debris wedged in the cooling vanes on the outside......

Ranger
07-08-06, 09:05 PM
What would be some of the problems of overheating????
Overheating in itself is a big enough problem. What I was getting at is the difference between overheating and leaking. That is a tank leak dripping coolant on the ground as opposed to a cooling system failure causing an overheat and overflowing coolant on the ground via the overflow tube.

fmesi
07-09-06, 06:37 PM
Overheating in itself is a big enough problem. What I was getting at is the difference between overheating and leaking. That is a tank leak dripping coolant on the ground as opposed to a cooling system failure causing an overheat and overflowing coolant on the ground via the overflow tube.

it is a overheating problem with coolant coming out of the overflow, Iam adding some coolant maybe twice a week or after a hard long drive.

the car controller says check coolant level but no high temp issues

Ranger
07-09-06, 11:41 PM
This is a 4.9 or did the concourse have the Northstar?

Caddy01DTS
07-11-06, 06:30 PM
Northstar

Ranger
07-11-06, 07:26 PM
Check the usual. Cap, purge line, water pump belt tensioner, coolant mix, thermostat.