: engine oils?

creeker
07-07-06, 06:20 PM
Is synthetic motor oil and hi-mileage oil the same thing.

Tnx Creeker

noahsdad
07-07-06, 08:43 PM
No. High mileage oils are traditional petroleum oils formulated with additives specifically for engines that have high miles on them - usually 70k on up.

You might be confusing that with sythetic oil's claims of extended drain intervals. Mobil 1 now markets one with a 15K change interval, and Amsoil has one they claim will go 25K.

EDBSO
07-08-06, 12:54 AM
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi? Here you go . . . everything you ever wanted to know about oil at Bob Is The Oil Guy.

Noahsdad is correct

black93sts
07-09-06, 06:45 PM
While we have an oil thread going, what would you guys recommend for a 93 STS with the original L37 Northstar? I know it recommends 10W-30, but I've heard alot of people using 15W-40 Rotella. And is synthetic good for this type of engine? I just got the car a month ago, and it doesn't have an owner's manual with it, so I was wondering...

Stoneage_Caddy
07-09-06, 09:54 PM
I belive you have a northstar , and that being the case it is not recomended to use rotella or delvac in your engine ...The beneifts of it when it comes to your engine just dont work .....Not sure what is recomended for your engine if its a northstar but id stick with what the factory said to use , a 10w30 oil ...