: Annoying engine noise

94concorde
02-05-04, 03:33 PM
I have a 96 deville with the north star and every time i press on the gas i hear a winding noise that sounds like a car that needs power streering fluid do you have any ideas on how i can fix this. It's not the power steering fluid because i checked it. The noise is louder when i press on the gas my motor has 151,000 miles on it any ideas ?

Geno Castellano
02-05-04, 03:53 PM
I have a 96 deville with the north star and every time i press on the gas i hear a winding noise that sounds like a car that needs power streering fluid do you have any ideas on how i can fix this. It's not the power steering fluid because i checked it. The noise is louder when i press on the gas my motor has 151,000 miles on it any ideas ?

First, to isolate the noise, unload the accessory belt tensioner with a 1/2 drive breaker bar in the drive lug on the tensioner. With the tensioner unloaded the belt will slip and the accessories will stop turning. Rev the engine up. If you get the whining with the accessories engaged and it goes away when the belt stops then you know it's in the accessories somewhere. If not, then it is in the engine. This is the first step to diagnosing the problem.

It may be the power steering even though it's not low. The o-ring that seals the connection between the fluid reservoir and the pump inlet may be dried out and leaking air under suction of the pump inlet. Just a little air will make the pump whine like crazy. All that is required is to replace the seal from the reservoir to the pump. The pump mounts to the engine with one bolt in the saddle that it sits in. Take the lines loose and the pump off and remove the pump to the bench so the reservoir can be taken off.

It could also be a line connection causing a similar air leak on the suction side so check the connections and the low pressure hose. The PS pump pumps all the time. It just builds pressure when load is put on it by a steering maneuver so it could be sucking air all the time and whining.

Or, depending on how you describe a whine it could be a bearing in the idler pulley in the accessory drive or the idle pulley on the tensioner. Either of which would be quiet with the belt disengaged. use a 3 foot piece of 3/8 rubber hose to listen around with to isolate the noise under the hood. Put one end of the hose in your ear and use the other end to listen with like a stethascope to isolate the noise source.

fristim
02-10-04, 05:35 AM

Yep, alternator, have you changed it yet, if not thats what it sounds like. Much like a turbo spooling up!!