: How long to check codes?

ssls
02-05-04, 02:46 PM
I have a 97 SLS and had the SES light to come on one morning when I first started the car. It stayed on for one day only and has not been on since.

A local shop checked all the codes and only found one - the Knock Sensor.

My question is - how long does it take to check codes and is this a detailed, time intensive process? You can probably guess why I am asking.

Thank you for any input you may have.

BeelzeBob
02-05-04, 03:08 PM
I have a 97 SLS and had the SES light to come on one morning when I first started the car. It stayed on for one day only and has not been on since.

A local shop checked all the codes and only found one - the Knock Sensor.

My question is - how long does it take to check codes and is this a detailed, time intensive process? You can probably guess why I am asking.

Thank you for any input you may have.

How long to check codes on a 97 SLS...????

About 5 seconds for the onboard diagnostics to engage.

The Cadillac has an onboard diagnostic system that allows anyone to access the information with only a few keystrokes on the buttons on the dash. Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the dash and the system will activate and all the codes will display. Write them down as they scroll past and post here for interpretation.

But.....since you didn't know this and authorized the shop to do it....and they probably didn't know about the Cadillac diagnostics either....they probably hooked some sort of code reader up to the ALDL connector that is near the steering column under the dash. Look there and see the connector with a cap over it under the dash on the drivers side. Since the advent of the OBD2 requirements all the codes are standardized and code readers are standardized to allow "generic" code readers to accesss the info. This prevents a repair shop from having to have multiple different code readers for each brand and type of car. The rational is that any repair facility can access and diagnose problems so they are more likely to get fixed.... The shop obviously took some time to do this, got to pay the guy and pay the hoist/repair bay time. They also have to have a guy ready and on the payroll to do the job. Heat and light bills.... all this overhead that gets figured into any repair or diagnosis. Then there is the code reader that they bought and had on hand to help you with. It costs from $50 for a real cheepy to $3000 for a specialized Tech tool to communicate with the system. The tools aren't free in any case.

So, what did they charge you?? I could rationalize $100 or so for just doing the diagnosis as they really didn't know what they were going to get into .

Some auto supply stores will "read your codes" for free as a service to get you to buy the part there.

ssls
02-05-04, 03:38 PM
bbobynski-

Thank you for your input. You obviously know what you are talking about. This forum is a wealth of knowledge - I wish I knew about it a long time ago.

They are trying to charge me $60.00. I certainly understand about the costs associated keeping a business running, but I am wondering if there is more to it.

Case in point - I had to have the head cover gasket replaced on the water pump to stop an antifreeze leak. Cadillac did this for about two hundred and everything is fine, but the shop in question was going to replace the water pump, the thermostat, and the coolant jug to the tune of $700.00. This is why I asked the question about the codes.

Thanks again - you have been most helpful.