: Can Someone Explain This To Me?

216caddypimp
07-06-06, 09:15 PM
What are the differences/similarities in style, composition, etc between the following Cadillac brands/names:
1. Brougham
2. Fleetwood
3. Fleetwood Brougham
4. D'Elegance

I saw another GM car can't remember which auto maker and it had the Brougham name attached, I thought Cadillac was the sole owner of such names. I'm trying to educate myself on the history of the car and this is probably elementary for most, but I can't front like I know what I'm talking about or what other folks are talking about and I don't have a comprehensive foundation of my favorite car of choice.

Thanks

scurling
07-07-06, 12:56 AM
Ok, Caddypimp are you serious? See how many have viewed your thread and haven't attemped to answer the question. It would take someone with a lot of documentation and /or knowledge across multiple model years of Cadillacs to accurately answer your question. Someone could document pages for multiple production years to cover the differences in the four models you listed.

Could you maybe be a little more specific as to the model year or body series.

Generally, in my opinion the Broughams and D'Elegance are dressed up a lot nicer with added power options, special upholstery/leather, and generaly more comfort items, high end sterio options, etc.

If you really want to learn about the different models and option s offered, you could search on-line for vehicles for sale which will have all the options listed. I think cars.com has a reasearch section that allows you to look up a specific vehicle and all the details by model and production year. That helped me when looking up items for the newer Fleetwoods.

Bro-Ham
07-07-06, 09:02 AM
Hi,

Cadillac certainly wasn't the only maker of Brougham models. Back in the 1970's and 1980's we had the following that I can think of: Mercury Marquis Brougham, Pontiac Bonneville Brougham, Pontiac Grand Prix Brougham, Chrysler New Yorker Brougham, Caprice Classic Brougham, Dodge Dynasty Brougham, Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham, Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham, Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham, Oldsmobile Omega Brougham, Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham, Oldsmobile Toronado Brougham, Ford LTD Brougham, Pontiac Parisienne Brougham, and of course, Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and Cadillac Brougham. That's a ton of Brougham models! No one uses it today that I can think of.

To answer the question on the differences, scurling is right that it would be like writing a book so you may want to get a good guidebook on Cadillacs so you can build that comprehensive foundation you desire.

Most everyone on this forum talks exclusively of 1977-1996 full size Cadillacs so I'll take a stab at answering your questions:

1. Brougham. Full size model made from 1987 through 1992, was previously called Fleetwood Brougham but lost the Fleetwood designation because there were smaller front drive deVille based models in the Cadillac line-up to which Cadillac was devoting development and technology. The fancy version of the Brougham was the Brougham d'Elegance.

2. Fleetwood. Was originally a high end coach builder from the days of horse and buggy, in the past it designated the largest, most impressive and exclusive Cadillac models. By the 1980's and 1990's it was just a pimped out deVille, meaning more chrome, more standard equipment, and more ornate interior. So, relative to 1977-96, the full size rear drive Fleetwood Brougham and Fleetwood Limousines were made through 1984. There was a new front drive deVille based Fleetwood and Fleetwood limousine models in 1985 which were to replace the large rear drive models but Cadillac kept the large rear drive Fleetwood Brougham sedan in the model line in 1985 since gas prices unexpectedly dropped and the full size cars were still selling. The Fleetwood Brougham was also made in 1986 before, as mentioned in #1 above, having the Fleetwood designation shaved off its name to be called simply Brougham in 1987 through 1992. In 1990 the long carried over and unchanged Brougham was finally mildly cosmetically updated.

3. Fleetwood Brougham. Was introduced in 1965 as a top of the line Fleetwood sedan model option. Fleetwoods traditionally were long wheelbase cars but by 1977 the Fleetwood Brougham the exact same size as the deVille and the differences were the Fleetwood had more chrome, a distinctive vinyl top, more cushy interior, and higher level of standard equipment. There was no Fleetwood Brougham from 1987 through 1992. In 1993, Cadillac more heavily restyled the full size sedans and dropped the Fleetwood name in the smaller front drive cars and used Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham as names for the new full size Cadillac from 1993 through 1996. Fleetwood was the standard model and Fleetwood Brougham was more deluxe.

4. d'Elegance. The first d'Elegance models appeared in 1974 as special editions of deVille and Fleetwood. By 1985, the deVille d'Elegance option was dropped and the d'Elegance became a front drive model called Fleetwood d'Elegance and a rear drive model called Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. Brougham models carried the higher end d'Elegance from 1987-1992. No more d'Elegance for 1993 when the full size cars were restyled. d'Elegance was over the top, Cadillac style, with fabulously ornate interiors and lots of glitz.

Stick around this forum and do some homework at the library and also check the website at the Cad Club database. We're all here to answer your questions on your quest for knowing more about Cads.

Have fun!

Dave

216caddypimp
07-07-06, 10:30 AM
Thanks Scurling and all I wanted was just a brief introduction, nothing to deep, but Brougham provided the info. I feel that more intelligent now, since I understand the differences. Thanks again Brougham for the detailed info and thanks again Scurling for the info you provided.