: Oil Additive Question

codewize
07-06-06, 09:52 AM
Does anyone feel that oil treatments are to thick for the N*'s. I just changed my oil and added Lucas to it. I think I can actually tell the difference but I think it made my gas mileage worse? Is that possible? AM I just paranoid?

eldorado1
07-06-06, 11:36 AM
Lucas? The foaming stuff?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Ranger
07-06-06, 11:57 AM
Snake oil! When the Northstar was being developed and tested, it ran for days at WOT with plain old 10W30 conventional dino oil. Why do you think you need more than what GM tested the engine with and recommends? Do you think you will ever run it harder than they did? Stop and think about it for a minute. Have you ever heard of an oil related engine failure because of the lack of an aftermarket addative? How about the guys who get 200-300K on them with what GM recommends. Paranoid? Yeah, I think a little.

codewize
07-06-06, 02:29 PM
You know your right. I guess that's why I'm asking. I've always done this oil change ritual thing that included STP with the new oil. I recently switched to Lucas.

Maybe I should get up to speed and stop thinking old school? So do you use 5W30 or 10W30?

Thanks
ADL

Snake oil! When the Northstar was being developed and tested, it ran for days at WOT with plain old 10W30 conventional dino oil. Why do you think you need more than what GM tested the engine with and recommends? Do you think you will ever run it harder than they did? Stop and think about it for a minute. Have you ever heard of an oil related engine failure because of the lack of an aftermarket addative? How about the guys who get 200-300K on them with what GM recommends. Paranoid? Yeah, I think a little.

EDBSO
07-06-06, 04:55 PM
Lucas? The foaming stuff?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Thanks for the quote, saved me looking it up.

Bad snake oil, the dealer wants it in your transmission and differential to!!

But then again they will get to sell you a new one or perform the expensive repair.http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000ETXX2O.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65934243_.jpg My oil

Ranger
07-07-06, 11:11 AM
You know your right. I guess that's why I'm asking. I've always done this oil change ritual thing that included STP with the new oil. I recently switched to Lucas.

Maybe I should get up to speed and stop thinking old school? So do you use 5W30 or 10W30?

Thanks
ADL
I can recall the days when I also used STP, a qt. of trans fluid or some other hocus pocus. Oils today are eons beyond what they were just 20 years ago.

Personally I stick with 10w30. From what I gathered when talking to our old Guru, GM went to 5w30 to appease the EPA (not that there is anything wrong with it), but I got the impression that they would have stayed with 10w30 left to their own choices. If I were operating in -30 degree tempuratures I might go to 5w30, but since I rarely see less than -10 I stay with 10w30 even on the cars in my stable that recommend 5w30.

codewize
07-07-06, 11:22 AM
Damn it now you guys have me wanting to change the oil again. Ok so from now on I'll save the money and go with straight 10W30

Thanks for breaking the old school habits and bringing me into the N* age

Ranger
07-07-06, 11:31 AM
Just wait til your next oil change. Nothing wrong with 5w30 or GM would never recommend it. Remember, what I said is just my personal opinion and choice. Don't get paranoid. Your engine will probably last as long on 5w30 as mine will on 10w30.

dkozloski
07-07-06, 01:31 PM
STP paid the highest consumer fraud fine in history for bilking the public with snake oil, about $880,000.

JimHare
07-08-06, 10:25 PM
My only question is, how DO they get oil from a snake????? Is it the same way they make baby oil????

Patrick7997
07-08-06, 11:23 PM
My only question is, how DO they get oil from a snake????? Is it the same way they make baby oil????

I'm dying over here... lol. Yeah, it involves a pair of big rollers sprung together, and a large hand crank on a gear reduction unit, and a big bucket, to catch the oil.... hee hee!!!

EDBSO
07-08-06, 11:49 PM

I'm dying over here... lol. Yeah, it involves a pair of big rollers sprung together, and a large hand crank on a gear reduction unit, and a big bucket, to catch the oil.... hee hee!!!

Actually it is a loosely guarded secret that I can share with you. They use a special catalyst . . . fairy dust . . . it makes the oil easy to collect. Now the fairy dust, that is something else that I can't share with you.

JohnnyO
07-16-06, 09:49 PM
Older N*s with flat tappets are better off with 10w-30, on the later roller lifter motors (2000-up I think) 5w-30 is fine.