: How about no muffler??

weister42
07-06-06, 02:43 AM
Is it a good idea to install two solenoids to each operate a valve to open and close at the downpipe, so I can go from stock exhaust to no exhaust at all and hopefully gain some hp?

GreenMachine
07-06-06, 04:55 AM
i'd imagine it could be done, might lose some torque, will certainly be loud.

codewize
07-06-06, 09:34 AM
Exhaust cot-off?

Sure. Back in my day it was done with cables similar to a choke device and you used to be able to buy the whole kit with the small Y and everything in JC Whitney for a few bucks.

The best place to do that by the way is a bit before the mufflers. You don't want to do it right at the bottom of the down pipe or Y pipe.

MrEr1c
07-06-06, 03:40 PM
that is what i would want to do but i would be concerned with where the cut-out would be located. If it is before any 0 2 sensors, then you will more than likely lose performance becuase of the messed up readings it will get with no exhaust flow.

EDBSO
07-06-06, 04:47 PM
Is it a good idea to install two solenoids to each operate a valve to open and close at the downpipe, so I can go from stock exhaust to no exhaust at all and hopefully gain some hp?

Not many people know it but noise canceling technology really has advanced in recent years. Many an Iraqi came stumbling out of their homes or holes to find that they had been completely surrounded by "mysteriously" silent tanks, they were expecting loud thundering tanks but active noise cancelling technology had silenced them and they were able to approach at WOT and still be silent!!!

It can be adapted to cars. Some manufacturers are playing with it as a way to increase mileage with a no resistance exhaust system quieted with active noise canceling technology.

I do know of an alcohol injected GNX with a similar cut-out (no active noise cancellation, it is not too loud and some times can barely be heard over the "screaming" tires)..

JSMeloche
07-06-06, 09:41 PM
Good timing! i lost a muffler yesterday, yup completely fell off!!! I don't see much difference over regular restrictive exhaust from my "butt in the seat" specially calibrated dyno. But the sound above 4k rpm is awesome!!! Below that its just extremely noisy and it drones on the highway. Cutout would be a good solution.