: DOUCHE ALERT - A typical Lexus buyer in action.

Jesda
07-05-06, 03:02 AM
I promised not to repeat this story, but its too funny to keep to myself. A friend of mine was making evening plans for the 4th. She asked her boyfriend to dress nicely, to which he replied, "I always look good. I drive a Lexus." :histeric: They fought for the rest of the evening.

Now, complement the above with the fact that his purchasing decision (2006 IS250) was made entirely from viewing brochures. If Toyota was going after the know-nothing badge snob who can't tell an engine from a chicken, they have indeed succeeded. Pursue the ignorant and you can sell anything.

Thats all I wanted to share. :D

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
07-05-06, 03:09 AM
Lexus may be more reliable than other luxury brands (or they may not, I don't know) but looking good is not their forte. They have no design or style. You could be driving a much cheaper regular Japanese car (also devoid of style - current Civic excepted).

AznPrydeRegalRyde
07-05-06, 08:18 AM
I would agree for the most part. But I still think the SC400 is a gorgeous coupe, and the new IS350 is one hot looking hi performing car.

Elvis
07-05-06, 09:09 AM
You could be driving a much cheaper regular Japanese car (also devoid of style - current Civic excepted).

I noticed that for the first time over the weekend. It actually is stylish and is a car I wouldn't mind driving.

Jesda
07-05-06, 10:22 AM
Yeah, the old SCs were one of a kind, great little cars with ridiculous power for their weight and dimensions. The interiors were of course excellent.

Otherwise... BLAH.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-05-06, 10:43 AM
The 1st gen SC's were great cars for the reasons Jesda said, and I've always had a thing for the LS400s, even though they were quite bland. The newer ones don't do it for me, but the newest IS and GS series are cool again, and the newest LS will be the best in class I'd imagine.

Jesda
07-05-06, 11:25 AM
I dont know about you guys, but when I buy a car, I want it to be a product of human thought and imagination. I want to believe that the designers and engineers tried to convey emotions, principles, and beliefs. Design should be a product of the heart, not focus group.

JoCan
07-05-06, 11:43 AM
I dont know about you guys, but when I buy a car, I want it to be a product of human thought and imagination. I want to believe that the designers and engineers tried to convey emotions, principles, and beliefs. Design should be a product of the heart, not focus group.

Very Well Said!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SpeedyArizona
07-05-06, 11:43 AM
Now, complement the above with the fact that his purchasing decision (2006 IS250)

Lets all stop there. An IS250 is the cheapest and least powerful Lexus available. He didn't buy it for anything except the name Lexus. Your friend is the epidemy of a poser! He buys the least expensive car in the lineup and gloats because he bought a Lexus. I would've slapped him backside the head.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-05-06, 12:50 PM

That's pretty much how Cadillacs (or atleast the classic ones) are made.

From reading the '90's LS400 brochures, I can tell that the Lexuses (Lexi?) are designed by computers to be the best at everything, and not by humans. They just refine what the computers generate.

You're right Speedy, buying an IS250 does make him a poser. Maybe if he had bought a LS430 or even an IS350 then he could atleast brag about owning it.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
07-05-06, 02:11 PM
IS = Toyota with leather seats at premium price.
People who drive the IS200/250 should be laughed at at stop lights.

90Brougham350
07-05-06, 03:36 PM
I thought the ES was bad enough, but an IS? LOL! Oh come on, this guy is a moron!

Adam
07-05-06, 07:38 PM
whoa... sounds like a lot of hatin going on around here. buys the least expensive Lexus and he is a poser? let's see you guys go out and buy one of those. just cause its the least expensive means nothing. the new IS250 is actually a pretty nice car. i'd drive one... and that is saying a lot. now the comment that dude made was pretty gay... just cause you own a Lexus doesnt mean anything. so what? like i said, the poser comments arent cool. atleast he can afford a 30k some thousand dollar car... compared to what some of you are saying and on your logic... you paid maybe 1,5k-15k for your Cadillacs... buy a new one and quit being a poser. <now see that wasnt cool at all. you guys are not posers... why? cause it still has a wreath and crest and that dudes ride still has an L within a circle. he is not a poser... now a poser would be someone rebadging their toyota with lexus badges (and i have seen that... that is almost as gay as putting a V symbol on a regular CTS). so lets not hate on him for buying a car he can afford and you cant... that is bs.

ChicagoCTS32
07-05-06, 07:50 PM
whoa... sounds like a lot of hatin going on around here. buys the least expensive Lexus and he is a poser? let's see you guys go out and buy one of those. just cause its the least expensive means nothing. the new IS250 is actually a pretty nice car. i'd drive one... and that is saying a lot. now the comment that dude made was pretty gay... just cause you own a Lexus doesnt mean anything. so what? like i said, the poser comments arent cool. atleast he can afford a 30k some thousand dollar car... compared to what some of you are saying and on your logic... you paid maybe 1,5k-15k for your Cadillacs... buy a new one and quit being a poser. <now see that wasnt cool at all. you guys are not posers... why? cause it still has a wreath and crest and that dudes ride still has an L within a circle. he is not a poser... now a poser would be someone rebadging their toyota with lexus badges (and i have seen that... that is almost as gay as putting a V symbol on a regular CTS). so lets not hate on him for buying a car he can afford and you cant... that is bs.

Agreed.

The IS250 isn't a bad car at all. The IS is not a Toyota with an "L". The ES is a Camry in a bowtie.
The IS250 AWD is a nice AWD car and the 350 is a wicked performer. The 250awd is high on the list for my gf as a replacement for her junker.
They also don't make an IS200...

Adam
07-05-06, 08:06 PM
Agreed.

The IS250 isn't a bad car at all. The IS is not a Toyota with an "L". The ES is a Camry in a bowtie.
The IS250 AWD is a nice AWD car and the 350 is a wicked performer. The 250awd is high on the list for my gf as a replacement for her junker.
They also don't make an IS200...

my brother works for Lexus and i got to drive a AWD IS250... dude that car was freakin nice man! good luck with that man and i hope she gets it. i used to not like Lexus' but i am kind of into them now. they used to make an IS200 didnt they? i could be wrong. yeah i drove a new 06 IS350 and holy shit... if i wasnt getting a V next summer id be getting one of them (cause they are cheaper and mod friendly). but i am married to Cadillac so i guess i really dont have a choice... i have to get a V.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-05-06, 08:12 PM
IS200 is a european model.

Adam
07-05-06, 08:15 PM
IS200 is a european model.

ok not sold in the US so it doesnt count then.

Jesda
07-05-06, 08:18 PM
whoa... sounds like a lot of hatin going on around here. buys the least expensive Lexus and he is a poser? let's see you guys go out and buy one of those. just cause its the least expensive means nothing. the new IS250 is actually a pretty nice car. i'd drive one... and that is saying a lot.

I drive a '90 Q45 good for 310hp. I paid $1300. Its in near-perfect condition. I win in every category imaginable. :)

Lexus owners: Take your thumb and index finger, then stick them on your forehead. There's the badge on your hood.

fpmesiIII
07-05-06, 08:39 PM
toasty thread, but good reading material.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-05-06, 08:42 PM
Thank you Adam for making this the hot thread of the night! :)

SpeedyArizona
07-05-06, 09:14 PM

I never said the IS250/350 were bad cars, I made my comment based on what the man said about having a Lexus. I actually like the styling and refinements of the IS...

I categorized him as poser based on his comment, not the car itself. Plently of people drive Lexuses and they are great cars, but I don't like people who go bragging about having one. And rebadging a car SCREAMS poser, and I've also seen those and it made me shake my head...

so lets not hate on him for buying a car he can afford and you cant... that is bs

Do not tell me what I can and cannot afford;)!

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
07-06-06, 12:36 PM
Actually I bought my used Caddy after going to a Jaguar dealership to organise a new company car for myself, $50,000 worth.
Then I saw my STS for sale with just 15,000 on the clock in mint condition for $12,000. So the poor guy who bought it new for $70,000 15,000 miles ago lost $58,000. This reminded me of why I don't buy new cars, I just couldn't turn down that sort of bargain.

(oh and yes the IS200 is a european model).

Consider it to be similar to the BMW 1 series. A car that loses magazine group tests with competing vehicles but is bought for the badge.
Just like the new "Mini" which is sold in BMW dealers over here and therefore is often known as the BMW 0.5 series.

There is nothing wrong with the guys Lexus I'm sure, the "hate" on this thread comes from his attitude. Plus, the fact that someone can afford a new car and someone else can't doesn't make them any better a person.

Spittin Game
07-06-06, 03:24 PM

+1:thumbsup:

Most these guys on here with their 90's caddy's talkin shit about the cheapest Lex when they paid a small fraction of what he paid for his. Its funny how people can hate so much when they are so jealous.

There is an IS250 that parks in my work parking lot everyday and it is sexy, thats all I have to say about the looks, S-E-X-Y!!!

Jesda
07-06-06, 05:22 PM
It looks like soap. Why not carve "DOVE" on to the side of it?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-06-06, 05:23 PM
Most these guys on here with their 90's caddy's talkin shit about the cheapest Lex when they paid a small fraction of what he paid for his. Its funny how people can hate so much when they are so jealous.

You know you've really got a lot of balls to say that. Exactly what kind of Cadillac do you have again? Remind me, I forgot.:rolleyes:

Sure we didn't buy brand new ones but for good reasons. If I had the money, I would not buy a brand new Cadillac. I just don't like the brand new models, I think Cadillac truly died in about 1996. That was the last year of the "classic Cadillac" school of design and thought. I hate what they've become, If I had that kind of money I'd spend it on a 3 series, M45 or an S class depending on the amount of money I had. Secondly, most of us are not of the age where we could theoretically buy a brand new Cadillac. A lot of the membes on here are under 30 or so. Now there are few people under 30 who can feasibly go out and purchase a brand new Escalade, STS, DTS or a CTS. I'm sure there are many members on here that could buy a brand new Cadillac, but opt to buy a Classic one because they like the style more, or it fits them better. So saying that we are not capable to "talk shit" of this man is an insult to many of us on here, and that will not be taken lightly.

Now I am not jealous that this man bought an IS250. Sure it's a Lexus and it's brand new and everything else but w/e. It's not the fact that the man owns a lexus that bugs us, it's the fact that he said " I always look good, I drive a Lexus". That's what bugs us. Now It'd be different if the IS was shared with Toyota, like the ES and the Camry. That would be like saying "I'm better than everyone else because I'm dumb enough to pay another $7,000 for this Camry!"

Him saying that is like the owner of a beat up '82 Cimarron saying "I'm the best thing ever, I drive a Cadillac!!! I'm pimp shit!!" haha no you're not.

Spittin Game
07-06-06, 11:20 PM
You know you've really got a lot of balls to say that. Exactly what kind of Cadillac do you have again? Remind me, I forgot.:rolleyes:

Sure we didn't buy brand new ones but for good reasons. If I had the money, I would not buy a brand new Cadillac. I just don't like the brand new models, I think Cadillac truly died in about 1996. That was the last year of the "classic Cadillac" school of design and thought. I hate what they've become, If I had that kind of money I'd spend it on a 3 series, M45 or an S class depending on the amount of money I had. Secondly, most of us are not of the age where we could theoretically buy a brand new Cadillac. A lot of the membes on here are under 30 or so. Now there are few people under 30 who can feasibly go out and purchase a brand new Escalade, STS, DTS or a CTS. I'm sure there are many members on here that could buy a brand new Cadillac, but opt to buy a Classic one because they like the style more, or it fits them better. So saying that we are not capable to "talk shit" of this man is an insult to many of us on here, and that will not be taken lightly.

Now I am not jealous that this man bought an IS250. Sure it's a Lexus and it's brand new and everything else but w/e. It's not the fact that the man owns a lexus that bugs us, it's the fact that he said " I always look good, I drive a Lexus". That's what bugs us. Now It'd be different if the IS was shared with Toyota, like the ES and the Camry. That would be like saying "I'm better than everyone else because I'm dumb enough to pay another $7,000 for this Camry!"

Him saying that is like the owner of a beat up '82 Cimarron saying "I'm the best thing ever, I drive a Cadillac!!! I'm pimp shit!!" haha no you're not.

I have an Escalade.

And everyone was ragging him for buying the cheap Lex when in fact they have beat up old caddy's that dont cost as much as the gas I pay for each month.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-06-06, 11:59 PM
So the fact that you have an Escalade makes you better than all of us with the "beat up old Caddies"?

terrible one
07-07-06, 12:07 AM
My Cadillac was free. What's wrong with that?

Jesda
07-07-06, 12:08 AM
Here's the moral of the story:

1. Douchebag buys Lexus. (I know who he is. He IS a douchebag.)
2. Douchebag uses entry-level 200hp pretend-performance car as an excuse to be an ugly slob.
3. Douchebag then ditches girlfriend on the 4th of July like an idiot.

DOUCHE ALERT! If he would have said something like, oh, "I drove a Corvette" or "I drive a Buick GNX" I might have objected a -little- less, though he still would have been a douche. :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 12:15 AM
Basically, I believe he bought the Lexus for the image.

thebigjimsho
07-07-06, 06:10 AM
I have an Escalade.

And everyone was ragging him for buying the cheap Lex when in fact they have beat up old caddy's that dont cost as much as the gas I pay for each month.Yeah, and I got a V. It doesn't take a rich slob to recognize douchebags. That kid is a douchebag. And you seem to be in the running for No. 2.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 12:17 PM
Yeah, and I got a V. It doesn't take a rich slob to recognize douchebags. That kid is a douchebag. And you seem to be in the running for No. 2.

I thought it, he said it! :highfive:

Spittin Game
07-07-06, 01:33 PM
So the fact that you have an Escalade makes you better than all of us with the "beat up old Caddies"?

Did I say that??? YOU asked me what I drove, I told you.

I just found it funny that people with POS cadillacs that cost pennies were bagging some guy for buying a BRAND NEW Lexus, even if it is the cheapest one.

Spittin Game
07-07-06, 01:38 PM
Yeah, and I got a V. It doesn't take a rich slob to recognize douchebags. That kid is a douchebag. And you seem to be in the running for No. 2.

Haha, Im in the running for #2 for saying it the way it is. Wow, I never thought cadillac people were so stuck on themselves the way they are in the lounge.

"Oh I drive a 1990 Seville, that lexus that costed $25,000 more than what I paid for mine, what a chump, cant he get a real car"

Thats what everyone else here sounds like, they bag him for buying the cheap Lex, but you know what? His lexus cost him a lot more than these "play pimpin" cadillac drivers paid for theirs, thats why I said that. They paid shit for theirs, but bag someone who paid a lot more just b/c its not the expensive one.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 02:54 PM

The fact that you have an Escalade wasn't the thing that said you're better than all of us with the older Cadillacs, the thing that made you appear as though you are better than us is when you said that "our cadillacs cost less than it does to fill your tank for a month"

I'm sorry, but unless you put $4000 worth of gas in your ESKALADE in a month, then my car cost more than it does to fill your tank.

And on your comment about the 1990 Seville, lets see here... The 1990 Seville retailed for $31,830 MSRP, and in 1990, the entry level Lexus was the ES250, which went for $21,000 MSRP, so even in 1990, the Cadillac was in a whole different class, and nowadays, the IS250 goes for around $34,000 if I'm not mistaken, and the STS starts at around $46,000, so they're still not in the same category.

Now it doesn't even matter if he bought the IS250 v. the GS430 or LS430 in my book. I wasn't "bagging" the guy because he bought the cheapest, I was "bagging" him because he bought the car for it's IMAGE. And that I really hate. For example, I didn't buy my Cadillac for the image, because in all honesty, it's an old man's car. I bought it because of the brand, the performance, the practicality, the style and the luxury. Now if he bought the IS for reasons like that, then I wouldn't have a problem with him, but apparently, he bought it just to look cool.

SpeedyArizona
07-07-06, 03:14 PM
And everyone was ragging him for buying the cheap Lex when in fact they have beat up old caddy's that dont cost as much as the gas I pay for each month.

Some people can't afford "Escalades", to each his own. Don't judge others on their car but rather on their personality. It'll be a sorry day when people are judged on their material possesions rather than their heart.

And on your comment about the 1990 Seville, lets see here... The 1990 Seville retailed for $31,830 MSRP, and in 1990, the entry level Lexus was the ES250, which went for $21,000 MSRP, so even in 1990, the Cadillac was in a whole different class, and nowadays, the IS250 goes for around $34,000.

This is interesting. My first car was a 1990 Cadillac Eldorado, the MSRP was $28,855 and the total vehicle price with options was $30,685.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 03:46 PM
Some people can't afford "Escalades", to each his own. Don't judge others on their car but rather on their personality. It'll be a sorry day when people are judged on their material possesions rather than their heart.

Exactly, some people can't afford, some don't want. I fall under both categories. I'm not one to judge others based solely on their automobiles, but I do have a pretty good ability to "read" people based on what they drive, but I believe most of us have that ability.

Adam
07-07-06, 04:08 PM
Lets all stop there. An IS250 is the cheapest and least powerful Lexus available. He didn't buy it for anything except the name Lexus. Your friend is the epidemy of a poser! He buys the least expensive car in the lineup and gloats because he bought a Lexus. I would've slapped him backside the head.

ok so i can see how i would have mistaken what you said but it still sounds like you are calling him a poser because of what i underlined in your comment. so i can see where i would have mistaken. but this is what got me:

You're right Speedy, buying an IS250 does make him a poser. Maybe if he had bought a LS430 or even an IS350 then he could atleast brag about owning it.

now im not trying to be a dick to anyone... but it is statements like these that sound like you guys are hating on him for buying the least expensive Lexus. the IS250 is a great car. i would own one if i had the money (as in it would be in my huge car collection i would have if i was rich... im not so it is really a moot statement). would i buy one over a Cadillac? no.

Spittin Game
07-07-06, 04:09 PM
The fact that you have an Escalade wasn't the thing that said you're better than all of us with the older Cadillacs, the thing that made you appear as though you are better than us is when you said that "our cadillacs cost less than it does to fill your tank for a month"

I'm sorry, but unless you put $4000 worth of gas in your ESKALADE in a month, then my car cost more than it does to fill your tank.

And on your comment about the 1990 Seville, lets see here... The 1990 Seville retailed for $31,830 MSRP, and in 1990, the entry level Lexus was the ES250, which went for $21,000 MSRP, so even in 1990, the Cadillac was in a whole different class, and nowadays, the IS250 goes for around $34,000 if I'm not mistaken, and the STS starts at around $46,000, so they're still not in the same category.

Now it doesn't even matter if he bought the IS250 v. the GS430 or LS430 in my book. I wasn't "bagging" the guy because he bought the cheapest, I was "bagging" him because he bought the car for it's IMAGE. And that I really hate. For example, I didn't buy my Cadillac for the image, because in all honesty, it's an old man's car. I bought it because of the brand, the performance, the practicality, the style and the luxury. Now if he bought the IS for reasons like that, then I wouldn't have a problem with him, but apparently, he bought it just to look cool.

The gas comment was all made in sarcasm, I know its hard to judge over the internet.:)

As for retail prices, Im sure the ones with the old cars didnt buy them brand new 16 years ago. I just found it odd that those people were ragging on him about the price of his lexus.

Me personally I could care less what you drive, but when you start making fun of someone who drives a $35K car when yours is only like $5-6000 that just seems odd to me.

Adam
07-07-06, 04:11 PM
Me personally I could care less what you drive, but when you start making fun of someone who drives a $35K car when yours is only like $5-6000 that just seems odd to me.

:yeah: what he said.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 04:27 PM

I see it a little differently. He probably took out a big loan or financed this Lexus to own it. I paid entirely cash for my Cadillac, all $3923 of it. I worked my ass off at 3 different jobs to buy the Buick Roadmaster I had, and then traded that in to get this Cadillac, it was a dream I'd had since I was 14 to own a Cadillac and I found out at 17 years of age how nice it actually is. I will probably never buy a car brand new because of the depreciation and how careful I'd be with it. I'd much rather buy a car a couple of years old so someone else can take the depreciation hit.

So let the man be burdened with his high car payments and high insurance. I'm glad my car is paid off so I can save my money for the gas and my next car :)

Adam
07-07-06, 04:33 PM
I see it a little differently. He probably took out a big loan or financed this Lexus to own it. I paid entirely cash for my Cadillac, all $3923 of it. I worked my ass off at 3 different jobs to buy the Buick Roadmaster I had, and then traded that in to get this Cadillac, it was a dream I'd had since I was 14 to own a Cadillac and I found out at 17 years of age how nice it actually is. I will probably never buy a car brand new because of the depreciation and how careful I'd be with it. I'd much rather buy a car a couple of years old so someone else can take the depreciation hit.

So let the man be burdened with his high car payments and high insurance. I'm glad my car is paid off so I can save my money for the gas and my next car :)

hey Chad, how much do you pay a year for insurance (if you dont mind me asking)? my 89 is like 200 dollars every six months (which to me seems a little high for liability but whatever...).

you want to know how much i paid for mine? 3000 for the down payment and then another 3000 a year in insurance (for the CTS alone). you are right, it is easier to just pay that once and not have to fool with payments or anything... it really sucks having to pay this much in just insurance alone. but hey, its a car i love and one of my favorite cars of all time... so i will gladly pay it. might be that dude's case also. who knows...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 04:34 PM
Also, how am I supposed to afford a $35,000 car at 19 years of age?! It's just not possible.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 04:36 PM
hey Chad, how much do you pay a year for insurance (if you dont mind me asking)? my 89 is like 200 dollars every six months (which to me seems a little high for liability but whatever...).

you want to know how much i paid for mine? 3000 for the down payment and then another 3000 a year in insurance (for the CTS alone). you are right, it is easier to just pay that once and not have to fool with payments or anything... it really sucks having to pay this much in just insurance alone. but hey, its a car i love and one of my favorite cars of all time... so i will gladly pay it. might be that dude's case also. who knows...

I belive insurance is around $1200 a year for full coverage, but I'm down to liability now, which is significantly less. When I start paying in September, I'll get it back up to full coverage again.

Adam
07-07-06, 04:43 PM
I belive insurance is around $1200 a year for full coverage, but I'm down to liability now, which is significantly less. When I start paying in September, I'll get it back up to full coverage again.

ah... guess i can quit bitching about my Deville... full coverage was like 450 dollars every six months... haha. no all my cars paid for have liability. dude i am gonna tell you this... just pay liability cause your insurance company WILL total your car out cause it is an older Cadillac. i know from experience. my Fleetwood was paid for. had full coverage cause it was my baby and if i was ever in a wreck insurance would fix it and i could get it back no problem. WRONG! wasted my damn money is what i did. listen all i needed was a new hood, grille, radiator/radiator support and one headlight. that was all that was messed up on my car when i got in the accident. that was it! no mechanical problems, no frame damage... nothing! what happens? they total it out. said it had more than 3k dollars worth damage to the car and that is was only worth about 2k. that was for a 93 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with every option imagineable in for the 1993 model year. gets totaled out. the same day they totaled it out i dropped the full coverage on my Deville and got liabilty. yeah they werent to happy but whatever. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! im telling you if you are ever in a wreck (and i hope to God you arent) they will total it. the insurance company will make more money off of it by totaling it. im just warning you. i tell you this cause i like you. damn that was long! oh and at 19 years of age i had two Cadillacs and two Lincolns. that would be four cars that i bought and paid for with a total of about 20k dollars (about 5k each... well give or take on that).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 05:03 PM
Hmmm thanks for the advice Adam. I remember that accident and the ensuing thread, that was a real bitch. You probably had less damage on that Fleetwood then I had on my deVille when I hit that guardrail back in December. I caused $4200 worth of damage to a car that BB'ed at $2750. If insurance was involved, they would have totaled it out, and I knew that.

What worries me about liability is that if someone was to vandalize the car, I'd be screwed, insurance wouldn't cover it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 05:16 PM
I've got an excellent example of automotive douchebaggery.

A while ago, I joined a Mercedes Benz owners/ enthusiasts club so I can get more information on the W126 and W140 models, plus I've always liked M-B. Anyways, in one of my first posts, I introduced myself, said what kind of car I drive and I also stated how I would love to have a W140 at some point. Anyway, most of the responces were "welcome" and "they're great cars" but this one member on there, who must have been 16-17 years old said that because I own a 1992 Cadillac, I should not aspire to own a fine car such as a Mercedes because Cadillacs are shit and not worthy to be driven. Now I left him a pretty fiery responce and it turns out he was a troll and a fake (said his dad was gonna give him his '55 300SL Gullwing and his parent's owned a couple of Maybachs), but ever since then, I haven't been on that site much.

SpeedyArizona
07-07-06, 05:17 PM
Also, how am I supposed to afford a $35,000 car at 19 years of age?! It's just not possible.

Uhh...:leaving: have a rich daddy?

And Adam, now that I re-read my statement, it does seem that I'm calling him a poser for the level of car he bought. I didn't mean it that way, on the internet you can't explain completely. I called him a poser because of his comment and not the type of car he bought.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 05:25 PM
Uhh...:leaving: have a rich daddy?

Another one of my pet peeves! I knew a bunch of kids in school whos parents bought them brand new cars, then they acted like it was "their car". Nope, it's not yours, it's your daddy's! When you take the payments or title of that car, then it's yours!

I mean't how am I at 19 years of age supposed to go out and even finance any new car, I really have no credit score and I'd need a cosigner.

Jesda
07-07-06, 05:37 PM
Whew, bumpy thread thus far saved from locking. :)

If you spend $35k on a 200hp slug just to say, "I always look good. I drive a Lexus," then you are a douche. I buy to please myself, to enjoy the best engineering, design, and performance that my finances will allow. I dont buy to compensate for a lack of self-esteem. If I was hell bent on impressing others, I'd sell my $1300 Q45 and get a used Land Rover or something.

Yes, I do run around telling people how little I paid for my car. :D

urbanski
07-07-06, 05:38 PM
my Fleetwood was paid for. .
lowriders are for posers :rolleyes:

;) :p

urbanski
07-07-06, 05:39 PM

If you spend $35k on a 200hp slug just to say, "I always look good. I drive a Lexus," then you are a douche. I buy to please myself, to enjoy the best engineering, design, and performance that my finances will allow. I dont buy to compensate for a lack of self-esteem. If I was hell bent on impressing others, I'd sell my $1300 Q45 and get a used Land Rover or something.

Yes, I do run around telling people how little I paid for my car. :D
true.dat

Its not the IS250, its the attitude you then develop once you own it. Like an RS4....:thepan:
But chances are with this douchebag, the bank actually owns it :p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-06, 05:40 PM

If you spend $35k on a 200hp slug just to say, "I always look good. I drive a Lexus," then you are a douche.

You know, for that $35,000 he should have bought the G35. That's a far more respected car in the area of performance, but it doesn't have that highly respected nameplate.

urbanski
07-07-06, 05:40 PM
by the way, the word douche always cracks me up

Destroyer
07-07-06, 06:10 PM
atleast he can afford a 30k some thousand dollar car... compared to what some of you are saying and on your logic... you paid maybe 1,5k-15k for your Cadillacs...You forget, most likely that $30k Lexus that he can afford wont be his till another 60 E-Z Payments are made. Now its all good, that thing about depreciation that someone said is what stops me from buying a new car...........and I can buy almost ANY new car I want. Financially it makes no sense to me and I happen to like many older cars. In my neighborhood, I'm totally ghetto driving around a '97 S class, '98 Deville, and a '91 Fleetwood Brougham and thats fine with me. Everyone here drives brand new MB, BMW, Lexus and yes we even have a guy with a new Murcialogo and Maseratie quatropole or whatever its called. Based on what I have read, I now believe my neighbors really think they are better than me cause of what they drive..........pathetic!.

SpeedyArizona
07-07-06, 07:29 PM
"Once a fool, always a fool"

When I buy ANYTHING (excluding a home), I like to have the cash to back it up. I hate payments, the interest kills you.

and I can buy almost ANY new car I want.

I'm glad to see you're so humble:rolleyes: ...

new Murcialogo and Maseratie quatropole

Murcielago and Maserati Quattroporte

Benzilla
07-07-06, 09:04 PM
My 2 cents

If I wanted to go out and buy a new Cadillac or *eww* Lexus I could, but I don't like them, so why should I drop 50k on something that I hate, and everybody else has? "hey I'm rich and boring! wee!" The last car that was made that I really liked was the '97 Lincoln Towncar, or maby the '99 S-Class. But what I really like are the older Cadillacs, and it just happens that I can get them for amazing prices. I mean, I bought my '90 Brougham d'Elegance in mint condition, and loaded for 6k. And it really is like a 1 year old car, so why would I buy a 2004 Deville for 40k, when I can have a Brougham d'Elegance in the same condition that I really like for $34,000 less?

And who's talking about beat up POS cars vs. a new one? I'm sure not. If you are one of the lucky ones who found the older car you like in new or slightly used condition and paid only a fraction of what a new one would cost, that makes you smart, not cheap! When I'm looking for a new car, I look for the car I really want to get, then find one in the best condition possible. thats like buying a classic brand new, but for a crack dealer price, what beats that?!?

And even if you buy a older car in, well, less than mint condition. You could still put about $10,000 into it and have it redone like new for about a third of the price as the new version.

I just thing its a hure insult to say that everyone that has an older car has it because they can't afford a new one. thats just bullshit.

Destroyer
07-07-06, 09:06 PM
"

I'm glad to see you're so humble:rolleyes: ...

No need to roll the eyes bro, I'm just making a point.

SpeedyArizona
07-07-06, 09:44 PM
I just thing its a hure insult to say that everyone that has an older car has it because they can't afford a new one. thats just bullshit.

True, just look at Jay Leno! He has 100+ old cars (most are restored, some aren't) and he can afford ANY car, new or old. Don't assume people can't afford a new car if they're driving a old one, I agree it's bullshit.

No need to roll the eyes bro, I'm just making a point.

I saw being sarcastic, it's hard to convey that over the internet. Many people on this forum live comfortably, hell look at Florian! He can afford any damn car he wants, but he doesn't go buy a Leuxs or Mercedes!

(I really don't know if F is wealthy:D)

Night Wolf
07-08-06, 12:06 PM
Heh... I get a kick out of this.

Personally, Lexus isn't highly respected at all, it means nothing to me.... when I see Lexus, I just always picture myself saying "nice Toyota".....ah well...

thebigjimsho
07-08-06, 12:59 PM
I called him a poser because of his comment and not the type of car he bought.No, what the whole point is is that he is a poser for his comment and the level of car that he bought.

Adam
07-08-06, 03:20 PM
lowriders are for posers :rolleyes:

;) :p

so are V's...

:rolleyes: :P haha, especially ones that have been wrecked cause the guy driving cant drive... :D :bigroll: :nono: hehehe...

Spittin Game
07-08-06, 03:46 PM
No, what the whole point is is that he is a poser for his comment and the level of car that he bought.

So if I said

"oh wow, look at Jim, he bought the cheapest V their is. Why couldnt he pony up and get a real car like the STS-V or the XLR-V. What a poser"

Same thing, he bought the cheapest Lexus, you bought the cheapest V their is.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-06, 04:02 PM
So if I said

"oh wow, look at Jim, he bought the cheapest V their is. Why couldnt he pony up and get a real car like the STS-V or the XLR-V. What a poser"

Same thing, he bought the cheapest Lexus, you bought the cheapest V their is.

Maybe the six speed manual was mandatory in the car that he bought :)

Spittin Game
07-08-06, 04:19 PM
Maybe the six speed manual was mandatory in the car that he bought :)

just using it as an example. ;)

thebigjimsho
07-08-06, 08:19 PM
So if I said

Same thing, he bought the cheapest Lexus, you bought the cheapest V their is.No, I bought the most expensive CTS there is. Now that I see you have totally no comprehension of what's going on, I'll slow it down for you.

See how I italicized the word and in the post you quoted? That means the second part of the sentence is in direct relevance to the first. If the douche didn't make the initial comment, I wouldn't think twice about the car purchase.

For as long as BMW imported the M5, I've salivated over them. When I found out about the V, I was excited. This was my M5-like car for $30,000 less. But I don't go around saying "Hey, look at me in my 400hp sedan! Bitch!"

Again, it's not the car, it's the douche.

Adam
07-08-06, 08:24 PM
But I don't go around saying "Hey, look at me in my 400hp sedan! Bitch!"

i have a hard time believing that :D haha.

SpeedyArizona
07-08-06, 08:26 PM
Douche (spelling?)" I just bought the $200,000 Ferrari F430, look at me!"

Guy #1 "You cheap-ass, why didn't you get the Superamerica for $300,000, thats a REAL Ferrari".

thebigjimsho
07-08-06, 08:35 PM
i have a hard time believing that :D haha.OK, so only when I put a Hemi-powered younameit in my rearview.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-09-06, 12:46 AM
See here's what pisses me off. The Lexus guy brags about how his lexus makes him look better, or that he looks good because he drives the IS250 or any Lexus what so ever, when in fact, it probably isn't HIS Lexus, it's the bank's because he probably took out a loan for it, so he has no right to brag about HIS Lexus because it's the BANK'S Lexus. Because, as far as I know, he doesn't take the title from the bank until the car is paid off.

Now if he paid for his car in full, then I'd give him some respect.

Oh and on a side note, if the Lexus owner was to race anyone on the street, because he'd probably do so because his Lexus is "top shit", he'd get his ass handed to him by most newer luxury/ sports cars. Lexus.com quotes the 0-60 for the IS250 RWD at 7.9 and the 1/4 mile in 16.0 flat. Guess what?! That's the same as my $4,000 1992 deVille! Hahaha! He'd be tied with a 14 year old granny car!

Jesda, I wanna hear more about this man and his Lexus.

Frost
07-09-06, 07:56 AM
A-Holes and Poseurs can be found in any situation, in any hobby or recreational venture. It is the comments or actions of the individual that make them A-Holes/Poseurs, NOT the activity they are involved in - with the possible exception of Synchronized Swimming. ALL of those players are A-Holes!

Examples:

A-Hole Golfer: "I just spent $1,100 bucks on this Driver so "A" class, here I come!!!"

A-Hole Weightlifter: "Gee, I can lift 300 pounds over my head but still,,,,,NOBODY likes me!!"

A-Hole Musclecar Owner: " I just spent almost $3,000 bucks on this blower setup and it's rumoured that women openly weep at the sight of me coming around the corner!"

A-Holes/Poseurs are a state of mind, a character flaw that carries fatal social consequences for the afflicted ones.

SpeedyArizona
07-09-06, 09:38 AM
anal cavity Golfer: "I just spent $1,100 bucks on this Driver so "A" class, here I come!!!"

Maybe I won't comment on this one:D...but it wasn't JUST the driver....it was a driver and wood combo set:leaving:...

Frost
07-09-06, 10:17 AM
Oh well then, SA - that makes it allright!

Actually, I bought a set of woods from a company called The Woods Bros. out of Texas a while back (now defunct, I think) - and those clubs were so expensive that I had to buy them ONE AT A TIME. Their claim-to-fame was their Persimmon head construction with a cork centrepiece that caused one Hell of a rebound effect.

And yes, they were perfectly legal. And no, I didn't get into "A" class with them. But yes, I loved those clubs and they were well-coveted by the others up at the clubhouse. And of course no, I didn't brag about owning them - I let their presence do that for me,,,,,

Finally, my affliction now prevents me from golfing at all, so those beauties stay in the bag downstairs in my basement. Before I converted it to a Home Theatre set-up, I had a room dedicated to the Gand Old Game. Lots of Portraits of major players, more than a few racks of pristine golf balls from courses that I would never in a million years ever get to play, a number of Vintage hickory-shafted irons adorning the walls, you guys get the picture.

I even had mood-lighting (ropelites around the baseboards) so that the drapes could be pulled during those afternoon games, plunging the room into darkness, ensuring the TV picture was at it's best contrast.

Nothing worse than trying to track a white ball in flight against a bright blue sky when the G.D. sun is streaming in the window causing major glaze on the TV glass!!!!

gary88
07-09-06, 11:32 AM
My Great Big Bertha driver and Big Bertha 3 and 5 woods were probably some of the greatest purchases in my life. That 5 wood has saved me plenty of times :worship:

I went to the Western Open yesterday, it's pretty much down the street from me at Cog Hill. I went last year too, I was about 2 feet away from Tiger Woods at one point. Hopefully I can get a tee time there tomorrow :thumbsup:

SpeedyArizona
07-09-06, 11:41 PM
Actually, I bought a set of woods from a company called The Woods Bros. out of Texas a while back (now defunct, I think) - and those clubs were so expensive that I had to buy them ONE AT A TIME. Their claim-to-fame was their Persimmon head construction with a cork centrepiece that caused one Hell of a rebound effect.

Damn...I can just imagine what they cost! Never heard of the company though.

My Great Big Bertha driver and Big Bertha 3 and 5 woods were probably some of the greatest purchases in my life. That 5 wood has saved me plenty of times

Big Bertha makes some spectacular woods, I had a set before I bought these.

I went last year too, I was about 2 feet away from Tiger Woods at one point.

Well Phil Mickelson lives 4 blocks from me...beat that:D!

mumblypeg
07-10-06, 12:05 AM

I just found it funny that people with POS cadillacs that cost pennies were bagging some guy for buying a BRAND NEW Lexus, even if it is the cheapest one.

Old money vs new money. Old money doesn't care if they drive a ten year old Cadillac that's paid for, and new money buys(or leases) a new car to look good.

gary88
07-10-06, 12:34 AM
Damn...I can just imagine what they cost! Never heard of the company though.

Big Bertha makes some spectacular woods, I had a set before I bought these.

Well Phil Mickelson lives 4 blocks from me...beat that:D!

Do you play TPC Scottsdale often? One of my favorite courses.

SpeedyArizona
07-10-06, 01:01 AM
Do you play TPC Scottsdale often? One of my favorite courses.

I rarely go out to play golf, usually only when I'm with friends of sometimes in the wintertime when the weather if perfect. As far at the TPC, I believe I played it twice. I agree it's a gorgeous course but there are better. Two of my favorites are We-Ko-Pa in Fountain Hills and Troon North in Scottsdale. Both are challenging and offer some picture-perfect scenery.

I also love the one I live on, Grayhawk. The signature hole is #13 affectionately known as "Heaven of Hell" because of the tee shot.

Where do you golf, Gary?

Benzilla
07-10-06, 02:26 AM
Can't you people shut up already! I mean you just spent pages talking about some dumbass who thinks his toyota makes him cool. who's the douche now?

And a ten year old car is just as good as a new one if its in the same condition! once a Cadillac, always a Cadillac. god!!

Sorry, I just had to vent.

gary88
07-10-06, 11:42 AM
I rarely go out to play golf, usually only when I'm with friends of sometimes in the wintertime when the weather if perfect. As far at the TPC, I believe I played it twice. I agree it's a gorgeous course but there are better. Two of my favorites are We-Ko-Pa in Fountain Hills and Troon North in Scottsdale. Both are challenging and offer some picture-perfect scenery.

I also love the one I live on, Grayhawk. The signature hole is #13 affectionately known as "Heaven of Hell" because of the tee shot.

Where do you golf, Gary?

I usually play courses #1 and #3 at Cog Hill, and when I can't get a tee time there I play at Gleneagles. I used to caddy at Edgewood in Willow Springs, I wish I could play there but it's private. It's a beautiful course. One of these days I want to play Dubsdread at Cog Hill, it's only a $125 green fee :alchi:

SpeedyArizona
07-10-06, 12:00 PM
Another reason I don't play the TPC often is because of the green fee....$238!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-10-06, 01:03 PM
Here's another scenario:

Person buys 1992-98 BMW 318i and brags about his "badass BMW", does this make him a poser?

I think so, 318i's were the bottom end BMW, and the only one powered by a I-4 other than the Z3's, so basically I'd believe he bought it for the nameplate, so that makes him a douche IMO.