: best way

creeker
07-04-06, 11:13 PM
I have a 80 dev. 368,cu. 46,000 miles, I want to clean out cooling system and put in new anti freeze,what's the best way to drain out as much of old fluid as possible?.
Tnx creeker

eldorado99
07-05-06, 12:36 AM
Maybe a garden hose in the upper rad hose and disconnect the lower rad hose?

ralphb
07-05-06, 06:01 AM
Someone, I think it's Prestone, makes a flush kit for this purpose. I think I have seen them at Wal-Mart.

If you are really serious about getting a complete flush, you remove the drain plug in the block on each side.

Good luck..

creeker
07-05-06, 11:23 AM
tnx for your suggestions.

carnut
07-05-06, 08:13 PM
What does the antifreeze look like. Rusty? If its bright green, I would not flush it but simply drain the radiator then pull the lower radiator hose off at the radiator and let the block drain. Flushing an old car can cause issues especially if it was ignored regarding coolant changes every two years. If its rusty then I would have the radiator professionally cleaned which means removal. Theres no harm in running clear water thru the uper/lower hoses,but flushing chemicals could dislodge things. Also remember to replace the radiator cap, always forgotten and usually after 3 or 4 yrs is weaker than the pressure stated on the cap.. Another thing always forgotten on old cars with low miles is the brake fluid. Should be flushed. Unlike cooling systems, flushing removes the moisture that by nature forms in the lines and wont damage the system because you're not using a chemical, you're just exchanging fluid.