: starter noise, doesn't start

Luey357
07-04-06, 12:10 PM
Just finished timeserts... started to prime oil pump. Cranked over 15-20 seconds (battery started to die), hooked up charger, cranked over for another 15-20 seconds. A little smoke started to come from starter area. Shut off key. Hooked up coil and let battery charge for a few minutes and let starter cool. Tried to start and just here a "fast rotating" clicking sound from starter area. It's NOT an electrical click from relay. It's from starter area. Is it a fried solenoid? Or is it the starter? Manual just says how to diagnose starter, not solenoid. Checked local parts store and new starter is about $150 and new solenoid is $37. Any thoughts? Thanks!

dkozloski
07-04-06, 05:04 PM
You put something back together seriously wrong. Wires are swapped or grounded out. It is obviously a self induced problem. Welcome to the club of those who have dropped the ball.

Luey357
07-04-06, 06:52 PM
You put something back together seriously wrong. Wires are swapped or grounded out. It is obviously a self induced problem. Welcome to the club of those who have dropped the ball.

I was hoping for a helpful intelligent response, but instead I get a complete idiot. This quote from Billy Madison fits perfectly here:

"Mr. Madison(kozloski), what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

dkozloski
07-05-06, 01:46 AM
I apologize for telling you that you screwed up putting your car back together and you're going to have to take it apart to find your blunder. It's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. The trouble shooting here consists of undoing the maintenance failure. If you can't find the trouble yourself maybe you can get the Pope to help you. He thinks he's infallible also. Cheers!!

Luey357
07-05-06, 02:40 AM
I apologize for telling you that you screwed up putting your car back together and you're going to have to take it apart to find your blunder. It's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. The trouble shooting here consists of undoing the maintenance failure. If you can't find the trouble yourself maybe you can get the Pope to help you. He thinks he's infallible also. Cheers!!

You know, here you go again. Your really a fool, so if you haven't got anything decent to say don't say it.

First off the, what part about "cranked over for 15-20 seconds" (twice) didn't you get? Second, If I put it together wrong then it would not have cranked over at all. Thirdly, What part about "a little smoke coming from starter area" didn't you get? Your the one jumping the gun and ASSuming that I put something together wrong, like your the shit.... more like shake, as in milkshake. Judging by what you typed you must be mad about getting old and forgetting stuff or maybe your job forced you into retirement, whatever the reason, quit being an arrogant jerk.

I'm just trying to get an honest opinion on what it may be (either soleniod, or starter). Maybe some ones related experiance (before I take the intake off)? Certainly not your troll thoughts. You never offered anything useful, your just here to start wars because your gay and you get off on it. You suck and should be banned.

This is just great, my post will be locked and I wont get any info. Thanks alot Jerk.

ewill3rd
07-05-06, 06:18 AM
I read the original post to say that it worked several times and now it won't.

It sounds to me like the bendix is stuck or not pulling in.
It's likely the solenoid but I usually service the starter as an assembly so that you have a whole new part instead of half old and half new.
Not an uncommon failure.
It just picked a bad time to fail.

dkozloski
07-05-06, 07:41 AM
Let's see if he is man enough to tell us what the problem turns out to be. If it's a coincidental failure I will admit I was wrong. I wonder If he can do the same. My theory is that he's got a wire pinched somewhere or a loose, high resistance connection that is heating a terminal and thus the smoke and no crank. It's also possible that something is bound up and putting such a load on the starter that it cooked the solenoid. Time will tell.

dkozloski
07-05-06, 08:29 AM
When someone asks for help with a problem, you really haven't done much for them if you give a politically correct answer that sends them out on the wrong trail but it's the one they want to hear. When someone has trouble with an area that they have been working with, the most obvious answer is that they did something wrong and need to correct it. The old principle of Ockham's razor. The simplest explanation to a problem is the one most likely to be correct even if it hurts your feeeeelings.

ewill3rd
07-05-06, 08:57 AM
*edit*

You may well be right, he may have made a mistake.

Heck, we could be looking at a low battery or a bad ground on the engine block.

dkozloski
07-05-06, 01:20 PM
Whoa! ewill, I was not addressing you directly but rather I was speaking rhetorically. I have a high regard for the advice you give as it is obvious you are very good at what you do. Forgive me for not expressing myself more clearly. Cheers!!

zonie77
07-05-06, 03:13 PM
Luey,

You're gonna have to trouble shoot it like it was a new problem, while paying attention to what you had apart. Check the cables and if they are fine I think you'll have to pull the starter and have it tested. (Double check cable to starter before you pull starter.)

GreenMachine
07-05-06, 05:33 PM
My theory is that he's got a wire pinched somewhere or a loose, high resistance connection that is heating a terminal and thus the smoke and no crank. It's also possible that something is bound up and putting such a load on the starter that it cooked the solenoid. Time will tell.

now see you could have said thay rather than saying he dropped the ball :) I'm guessing he was already on the end of his fuse ready to blow and the comment sent him over.

ewill3rd
07-05-06, 06:47 PM
Okay, sorry for the misread. ;)
I guess I had a rough morning. :D

No harm no foul.
I think we are still waiting to hear where this one is at?

dkozloski
07-05-06, 06:48 PM
GreenMachine, Once again I apologize for not being entirely clear in my statements. It was meant as a self deprecating remark as I am a charter member of the club. I am my own worst enemy in matters of this kind.

Ranger
07-05-06, 08:07 PM
I do not want to get this thread going in the wrong direction or Luey will never get any help, but I just reread Kozloski's first response and I did not see anything that warranted the response he got from Luey. Nuff said. Lets get this thread back on target in a civil manner.

dkozloski
07-05-06, 09:20 PM
Back to business. If I were doing the work I would go looking for the source of the smoke. You didn't do anything abusive to produce smoke from a properly operating starter. When you find what burned for whatever reason you'll be well on your way to a fix.

ewill3rd
07-06-06, 06:20 AM
I am not so sure the smoke is really coming into play... how much smoke are we talking about?
Also if it backfired it could have popped out of the backfire valve and caused smoke. Not to mention if he was cranking with the fuel system still activated it would have left lots of fumes in the intake.

I am still witholding further judgement until we hear back from the original poster on what he has or has not found.

Rob Benham
07-09-06, 01:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Picture009.jpg

It's a superb bit of kit, but very small. Do the useual things like clear the comm gaps etc.

As a precaution, I ran a [hi temp] wire out and taped it safe. If I get another mystery failure, I can check the voltage from the output of the solenoid.

If you have done timeserts, you will not be lubing the sliding cog with anything but a tad of graphite...will you?:thumbsup:

Good luck.