: Seatbelt Spring in 93 Fleetwood

jas386
07-03-06, 09:16 AM
The front Passenger belt will not retract. has anyone had problems with this and have any solution. I thought i would delve into it one evening and see if i can re-wind or reconnect the spring. I pulled the cover off in a parking lot, but at 1 am wasnt able to do anything with it. Thanks for any help.

N0DIH
07-03-06, 12:54 PM
I tried on my 80 T/A, was never successful. I got it some, but never tight as it should have been. And eventually it sprung on me. Wear protective eyewear! I was able to hook it it and turn the cover on mine to wind it, but that was pretty limited. Replacement was all I could do.

Just becareful, this is a key safety item.

The kid safety seat latch isn't engaged is it? Fully extend and then it should retract then if that is the problem. And in my 91 Bonneville, the little dangling weight that locks the belt in a accident or harsh manuver got dirty and sticky. Check that too...

carnut
07-03-06, 11:54 PM
Usually the trick is to "gently" pull the seat belt very slowly. Sometimes as the belt is unfastened its allowed to go back into the retractor twisted which now makes the belt thicker. Dont even think about taking the retractor apart, its spring loaded and unwinds sometimes into your face. Sometimes with the pillar trim removed , you can see the folded over belt and the one way bar that locks on the rotating notched wheel on the side of the retractor, gently lift up that bar and manually unwind the belt if possible. If that bar is not accessable then gently pull the belt very close to the retractor. If you attempt to do this with the belt off the car, it will be nearly impossible because the position of the retractor must remain the same as if it was mounted in the car. 75% of the time slow gentle constant pulling on the belt will allow it to unwind. Good luck!

jas386
08-02-06, 09:32 AM
its already completely unwound, and just laying on the seat. i briefly pulled the cover off in the parking lot where it happend, but i was dark and its been too blasted hot outside to fool with it since.

its a car i got for a bargain, and so far its making up for the bargain price, in repairs....

those seatbelt retractors are kind of pricey arent they?

Rick186
08-04-06, 11:33 PM
jas386 -

In my Factory Service Manual for my 1995 Fleetwood Brougham, the job looks like a real pain in the butt but shouldn't be all that bad.

If you want, I can scan the instructions and send them to you via eMail.

There are 2 full pages of pictures and about a page and one half of instructons which I could make into jpg's as well and send in jpg form, too.

Let me know if you want that stuff.

I can be reached at:

gms186@isp.com
or
gms186@sbcglobal.net

I'd do it this way since every time I have tried to post photos or whatever on this site, it blows up in my face!:want: So I'll try direct eMail.