: no power with Traction Control off

fpmesiIII
07-02-06, 10:58 PM
tonight i was playing around in the rain. trying to get my tires to spin a lot. i took TC off and couldnt even get them to spin and i had my pedal to the floor. it just seemed to accelerate at a conservative pace. is my engine broken when the TC is off?

tman2093
07-02-06, 11:11 PM
When you disable Traction the computer also disables first gear, meaning you start from a stop in second.

It does this because the differential is an open diff, meaning if one wheel starts spinning, the power takes the path of least resistance and the spinning wheel spins faster and faster. With one wheel spinning at a much faster rate than the other one, damage can occur to the spider gears in the diff, especially with an engine as powerful as the northstar. The engineers realized the damage potential and built the first gear cutoff into the computer to keep you from killing the drivetrain.

It's a shame positraction or an LSD didn't find its way into these cars, but that costs money, and old folks dont usually spin the tires.

codewize
07-05-06, 10:59 AM
I've heard a lot of people say this. Does anyone know if this is model / year specific? I ask because I have an 01 DTS and let me tell you when I turn off the TC I

1) definitly start off in first gear and

2) I can light the tires.

I'm not seeing the disabled thing happening.

JimHare
07-05-06, 04:30 PM
I'd bet the Disable function is broken - IOW, it's not disabling the traction control.

Like the old computer programming joke:

"Hey! There's a bug in the Error Detection Routine!"

codewize
07-05-06, 05:21 PM
The TC is working fine. With it engaged (normal driving mode) the tires slip a small amount then the TC kicks in. With the TC off the tires spin normally without TC taking over. I would have to say the enable / disable functions are working as expected.

GreenMachine
07-05-06, 05:22 PM
you have an error in the system which we all wish we could have too, although burning rubber isn't my first choice of fun, it is still nice to surprise people that this car can do it so well.

codewize
07-05-06, 05:31 PM
No me either. I just like a little squeal every now and then. So you have to wonder is this really an error or does someone else know more than we do?

tman2093
07-05-06, 09:03 PM
Theres anothe post on the forums somewherea bout the northstar doing like i said originally. They may have added a lsd in the later years explaining codewize's 01 DTS.

For the record my 99 STS behaves as I described.