: Oil Change question.. price???

UNCLLUIE
07-01-06, 05:43 PM
So according to the DIC, I'm due for an oil change in about 22 percent. I used to take my Fleetwood to those Valvoline Instant Oil change places in NY and Fla. They were OK I guess, but the 350 engine was pretty low tech.

I work a block away from a Cadillac dealership - Potamkin in NYC. I know I take a strange amount of oil - 7.5 quarts? Should I go to the dealer or to Valvoline? Any opinions? And if I go to the dealership, what should I expect them to charge? I'm thinking that between the large amount of oil and the fact that they're in Manhatan, the dealer would charge about 75-100, no?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Ranger
07-01-06, 06:07 PM
No idea of what price to expect as I do my own oil changes. Call the dealer and ask. Sometimes they run specials just to get you on the rack and do an inspection (not necassarily a bad idea if you don't do it yourself occassionally), which often will generate additional work. Changing oil is not rocket science. Valvoline can do it. Just keep an eye on them. Make sure they know the capacity and you may have to reset the OLM yourself.

krimson_cardnal
07-01-06, 06:10 PM
Right on that Ranger.
Once had those guys try and insist on 8 quarts in my 96DeVille. Stand up and tell em what your car requires. They do bring the dip stick to you to show the fill. They can get it right.

Tonkin
07-01-06, 11:44 PM
Dealers charge $39.95 on the west coast. Call the dealer and see what they get. They usually take a loss on Oil Changes so they can find other work that needs to be done. That's how I found out I needed a new front motor mount. (Put it in myself on 96 concours). Plus I get a free car wash and a Mint! Having two dealers in town helps keep the prices down also. Plus, getting to the HOT filter is no fun on the 2002 DHS. (I don't fit under the car like I use to!)

blunted
07-03-06, 12:48 PM
Uncle.. with my experience of caddy dealerships changing my oil (overfilled my eldo with wrong oil and all of sudden I have a permanent bad leaking case seal) is that if you can, just go to the dealer to get the filter and go to any shop and watch them pour 7.5 quarts of 10w-30 in there. But if you must the Potamkin on West 55th isn't too bad.. just make sure to look at you bill and see what oil they used and check your dipstick to see how much is in there! I can't stress that enough.

Patrick7997
07-03-06, 01:46 PM
Do it yourself. Save money, and you'll know it's right.....

If not, you need to be proactive, as Krimson Cardinal suggests.... TELL them what you want, and watch them do it..... If they give you any crap, take it somewhere else.

I know several people (myself included at times, when I'm lazy, or when I was injured) who bring in their own oil & filter... those quick places will charge you something, but I haven't noticed that they care either way. They charge like $10 a quart for Mobil One... so buy it somehwere else, and they'll pour it in....

UNCLLUIE
07-03-06, 03:36 PM
Uncle.. with my experience of caddy dealerships changing my oil (overfilled my eldo with wrong oil and all of sudden I have a permanent bad leaking case seal) is that if you can, just go to the dealer to get the filter and go to any shop and watch them pour 7.5 quarts of 10w-30 in there. But if you must the Potamkin on West 55th isn't too bad.. just make sure to look at you bill and see what oil they used and check your dipstick to see how much is in there! I can't stress that enough.

They're close to my job. Are they bad? They "found" about 2500 worth of needed repairs on my Fleetwood a few years back, but I knew she wasn't long for the planet. Will they try to find stuff on a newer car that's running fine and under warrantee?

UNCLLUIE
07-03-06, 03:41 PM
Do it yourself. Save money, and you'll know it's right.....

If not, you need to be proactive, as Krimson Cardinal suggests.... TELL them what you want, and watch them do it..... If they give you any crap, take it somewhere else.

I know several people (myself included at times, when I'm lazy, or when I was injured) who bring in their own oil & filter... those quick places will charge you something, but I haven't noticed that they care either way. They charge like $10 a quart for Mobil One... so buy it somehwere else, and they'll pour it in....

I'd give it a shot if I had a driveway. My Co-op board is really crazy about working on cars in the lot. Can't even wash it!

If it's just an oil and filter thing, I'd probably be better off with the neighborhood mechanic than a big chain, no?

Ranger
07-03-06, 05:04 PM
They're close to my job. Are they bad? They "found" about 2500 worth of needed repairs on my Fleetwood a few years back, but I knew she wasn't long for the planet. Will they try to find stuff on a newer car that's running fine and under warrantee?
Work is work. They'll inspect it and if they find anything wrong, they'll let you know.

krimson_cardnal
07-07-06, 10:11 PM
If you know a guy close by who fixes cars check him out. Talk with your neighbors, who do they go to. Doesn't need to be a big fancy place, just the kind of place that will treat you right.

Oil change is a good way to get in the door and look around. You know what you need and you can easily tell if they provide.

40 bucks is plenty

fubar569
07-11-06, 04:49 PM
around here in PA, mobil 1 syper syn is about as valuable as gold...cost mke 45 and change to do it myself. 8qts of mobil one and a new filter...i keep the other 1/2qt with me for top off

JohnnyO
07-16-06, 09:43 PM
Will they try to find stuff on a newer car that's running fine and under warrantee?
Absolutely. :rofl: Also know that the dealer makes more money charging YOU for a repair than what GM will pay them for doing warranty work.
Depends on the part of the country I guess, a lot of places here do an oil change for $23.99 and occasionally $19.99 for 5 quarts. For a N* I'd say $30 to $35 for dino oil would be about right.

Submariner409
07-17-06, 01:28 PM
:stirpot: The late N* series vehicles are among the easiest oil change jobs on earth. At 67, with arthritis, I jack up the front center of my '02 STS' engine subframe, put 2 jackstands at the outer corners, pull the jack, slide under and dump the warm oil into a waiting old dishpan. Then off comes the filter. Let it all drip for 10 minutes while you read how wonderful your new Pennzoil Platinum synthetic is, then prefill your WIX filter and snug it up. Wipe the drain plug clean and snug it up. Slide the full dishpan out, sloshing oil all over your clean garage floor. Lower the vehicle and pour in 7 1/2 quarts ONLY! For my car, that comes to the middle of the hash marks on the dipstick. Start and check for leaks. (The GM oil filter has gone through 3 upgrades and number changes in as many years...58, 59, and 62. I don't think they are still built by the Delphi plant, and there are scads of superceded filters out there...) One look at a WIX filter will show you why NASCAR loves 'em. Homework: Does a tighter pack filter media actually filter more oil, or does it force more oil to take the path of least resistance through the bypass valve?

Ranger
07-17-06, 05:38 PM
:stirpot: The late N* series vehicles are among the easiest oil change jobs on earth. At 67, with arthritis, I jack up the front center of my '02 STS' engine subframe, put 2 jackstands at the outer corners, pull the jack, slide under and dump the warm oil into a waiting old dishpan. Then off comes the filter. Let it all drip for 10 minutes while you read how wonderful your new Pennzoil Platinum synthetic is, then prefill your WIX filter and snug it up. Wipe the drain plug clean and snug it up. Slide the full dishpan out, sloshing oil all over your clean garage floor. Lower the vehicle and pour in 7 1/2 quarts ONLY! For my car, that comes to the middle of the hash marks on the dipstick. Start and check for leaks. (The GM oil filter has gone through 3 upgrades and number changes in as many years...58, 59, and 62. I don't think they are still built by the Delphi plant, and there are scads of superceded filters out there...) One look at a WIX filter will show you why NASCAR loves 'em. Homework: Does a tighter pack filter media actually filter more oil, or does it force more oil to take the path of least resistance through the bypass valve?
:histeric:You too eh?
I think a denser filter media will at some point bypass more oil, especially during cold weather starts and maybe at WOT.

clarkz71
07-17-06, 06:09 PM
:yeah: I guess it depends how stiff a bypass spring it has.

krimson_cardnal
07-17-06, 11:43 PM
here comes that submarine guy againe - WIX/NASCAR

who can argue that!!! to the point. i only wish i could get my DeVille in the garage. gotta move the table saw and the pile of lumber next to it.

oh well....

homework ?? is the WIX filter gonna filter or tend to pass the oil to that path of least resistance?? could the apparent oil issue boil down to a filter issue??

uhmmm??

JohnnyO
07-18-06, 03:15 PM
Any filter will run partially in bypass mode all of the time. The idea that 100% of the oil goes through the filter until the filter starts to get dirty is not true, although the bypass is a safety valve sort of thing based on the idea that dirty oil is better than no oil at all. Now then, you CAN put in a bypass filter setup that does get it all, change the regular and bypass filters occasionally, and run the oil for 25,000 miles or so, but that's more for the folks who've drunk the Amsoil Kool-Aid and besides that it seems like a lot of work. Me, I just drive it up on ramps when the OLM is close, drain it, fill it, and I'm done in about 15 minutes.

FrankT
07-18-06, 05:57 PM
Me, I just drive it up on ramps when the OLM is close, drain it, fill it, and I'm done in about 15 minutes.
Yes, I do the same, about 15minutes. Until last night when Autozone sold me the wrong filter. By then it was after 8pm Autozone was closed so I had to hustle to Murray’s for the correct one. That oil change took over an hour, man was I in a rant. :rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :gun2: :gun2:

Submariner409
07-23-06, 07:20 PM
:thumbsup: YO !!!! K.C. > Your garage must be a carbon copy of mine. It's really gone too far when you have to move a case of oil in order to miter new baseboards for your wife's bathroom project. (Which way too far is your call.......) I threw the NASCAR/WIX thing in my reply because there's some real junk in aftermarket filters out there. One school of thought says that the initial breakin filter removes over 90% of possible solids produced in an engine's lifetime. Many engines will have a bypass built into the filter adaptor, and a lot of generic replacement filters also incorporate their own bypass. Anal, or what? Most LARGE engine (2,000 HP+) installations use oil cleaning centrifuges (Sharples cream separator) to extend the change time to thousands of hours. How 'bout a 150 hour synthetic oil change on a 100 gallon sump? Times 4.....

krimson_cardnal
07-24-06, 10:27 AM
I'm getting set to build a set of cabnet bases for the kitchen. Gonna build the 4" base piece first, level it, then go from there. Oil has been moved for a while. Thing is it's a small - narrow - garage, hasn't seen a car or a truck in years. Nice thing is it's in the basement. That's great!! Now it augments the wood shop.

As far as 100 gallon sumps go, hard to imagine. I've always viewed things from the flight line.

I can see removing the solids - but what about breakdown? Is it the volume - synthetic - both?? How about coolers? What internal temp do those big boys see?

MrSmith
08-01-06, 04:30 PM
UMMM!! I hope this doesnt sound dumb.
I have had my Lack for about 2 1/2 years now. This will be my second time changing the oil { I have only put about 6000 maybe 7000 miles on it since Ive had it} But my puter says 11%. after I changed my oil today, I cant figure out how to return the 11% to 100%. can someone help me out? its a 91 Sedan Deville 4.9

Ranger
08-01-06, 06:42 PM
Your owners manual will tell you how to do it. I think you simultaneously press and hold the RESET & AUTO buttons or something like that. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

blunted
08-02-06, 11:04 AM
Bring up the oil life display and then hold down RESET until you see XXX .. let it go and it should say 100%.