: "It's foolish to get such an old gas hog"

Rick186
07-01-06, 01:13 PM
That's what I heard from one acquaintance after he saw my FWB. Yet, as my wife and I passed the used car lots on our way to get the last of the 4th of July fixins for our BBQs, I began to think of the alternatives.

I saw a 2003 rice burner that seats 4 going for $7,000.00. Okay. It looked decent. I paid $6,500.00 plus $975.00 for shipping plus Carfax plus inspection for my 95 FWB. I have since laid out and will spend about another 2 grand, at least.

The insurance agent says that in its present condition it should appraise at nearly $12k. To make sure some slob doesn't leave me with junk should he/she cream it while it's parked, I carry a LOW DEDUCTIBLE ($250.00) so the insurance company won't write it off so quickly as I search for specialty insurance. {Gini used to work for an agency}

Looking again at that rice burner that gets - maybe - 25 mpg in town to my 16, I say, SO WHAT? The $$$ difference just AIN'T THAT GREAT IF YOU REALLY STRETCH IT OUT.

I'm traveling in style and comfort. I can tow anything within reason. That ricer sure can't. And I can also take two of our best friend couples to dinner as we used to do when I had that big Dodge Van.

Best of all, if something hits us, besides the Wabash Cannonball, we'll walk away. In that ricer, I'm not so sure. Just read the papers.

And as for the price . . . Just how much will have to be dumped into that Jap Jeep to make it as reliable as my Cadillac? Whereinell did the used car dealer get it? At the auction, most likely. My car came from the original owner who traded it for a new top-of-the-line Lexus. I have the title to prove it. Carfax and the inspector proved my car was NOT a New Orleans Flooder. CAN THE POOR SOUL WHO BUYS THE USED RICER BE SO SURE HE'S NOT GETTING SOMETHING WITH DELTA MUD IN THE NOOKS AND CRANNIES?

Nope. I'm sold. I'll stick with the Caddy, despite the sometimes nasty, envious stares I find I occasionally get. (That's been the biggest surprise I've noticed since I had the car).

And, best of all, with the last dime I put out to put the car into "showroom," I'll still be below what the insurance agent says is the appraised value.
:) :) :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-06, 01:45 PM
I'd ask them the reasoning behind their statement. And then say "would your car save your life in a severe side collision? I don't think so." Or maybe "when was the last time anyone aspired to own a (insert car name here)"?

96Fleetwood
07-01-06, 05:02 PM
I had a woman in a Prius yell at me at the gas station about two months ago. Why didn't she yell at the guy with the Escalade behind me? Oh well, I love my luxo barge and the 13-14mpg I get in the city :thumbsup:

1990CaddyBrougham
07-01-06, 05:04 PM
or you could tell the guy to go suck his boyfriend off in his civic...

77CDV
07-01-06, 05:09 PM
Some folks drive cars, some steer appliances. At least no one ever has to ask "what is it?" when they look at our cars! :)

Craig

1990CaddyBrougham
07-01-06, 05:19 PM
77 has a good point.... long vertical tail lights and lot of chrome gleaming... can only be a Cadillac!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-06, 06:24 PM
I had a woman in a Prius yell at me at the gas station about two months ago.

She yelled at you? Man I would have told her to go **** her self then let her lesbian girlfriend have at the twisted remains! LOL!

Spock
07-01-06, 07:08 PM
Those words are from those who are inwardly, do not let them bug you.

I have heard such things about my Cadillac that it's such an "old unreliable gas hog". Firstly, I have never taken ANY of my cars (thankfully) to a mechanic as I can do all the repairs myself. That being said, there isn't going to be anything so critically wrong with that car that the problem is out of my expertise because I believe I treat my cars very well.

Reasons that I could understand why people say such things is this: they are jealous because you have something they cannot have, for either monetary or lifestyle reasons. One cannot, I repeat, one cannot be so overtly proud of owning a Cadillac that we are blinded, and look down upon others. If I see a Cadillac in a better shape than mine, how can I curse him? If I see someone with a beautiful Mercedes/BMW, how can I say what I have is better? Conversely, if I see someone who is driving a beater, I am thankful that I am able to drive what I have. To be sure of oneself, and at the same time being humble.

Wheelman322
07-01-06, 08:48 PM

I have heard such things about my Cadillac that it's such an "old unreliable gas hog". Firstly, I have never taken ANY of my cars (thankfully) to a mechanic as I can do all the repairs myself. That being said, there isn't going to be anything so critically wrong with that car that the problem is out of my expertise because I believe I treat my cars very well.

Reasons that I could understand why people say such things is this: they are jealous because you have something they cannot have, for either monetary or lifestyle reasons. One cannot, I repeat, one cannot be so overtly proud of owning a Cadillac that we are blinded, and look down upon others. If I see a Cadillac in a better shape than mine, how can I curse him? If I see someone with a beautiful Mercedes/BMW, how can I say what I have is better? Conversely, if I see someone who is driving a beater, I am thankful that I am able to drive what I have. To be sure of oneself, and at the same time being humble.

Couldn't of said it better myself. In the past 4 years since I bought my Caddy, I have spent over 10K restoring it, and have only driven it 4K miles in that time. Someone else may look at the car, and say "look at that old piece of sh*t, and would never appreciate the time and money i've spent on it. I happen to love these old Caddy's as this is my 5th (and hopefully final) FWB. I realize that i'd never get my money back in a million years, or do I really care. As far as the gas mileage...well to be honest, that is the reason that I only drive this car on occasion. So call me crazy, but when I get behind the wheel of this boat, I know it was all worth it.

P.S: I have owned 14+ Caddy's (including an 04 DTS, 98 Eldo, 94 STS, Etc...) and the RWD FWB's are still my favorites.

Destroyer
07-01-06, 09:49 PM

Man, I wish some of that attitude would rub off on others. It gets old listening to some of the others name calling others that drive a MB or BMW or the older guys that still push the "made in America" crap all the time. We are all car guys, we drive what we drive because we want to even if its not the most practical choice sometimes. Make/model, size or whatever doesn't matter, if you like it then its the right choice for you.:thumbsup:

N0DIH
07-01-06, 10:33 PM
Just tell her you can fill your tank for her INTEREST payment on her car that has her in debt for the next 5 years while you are financially much more stable. That Cadillac is paid for, hers isn't. It would take her around 8 years or more just to break even financially compared to you. Who is irresponsible here? The Cadillac owner or the new car owner? Sit down and do the math....

I am sorry, we live in such a debt ridden society that people can't even function without credit, credit cards, car payments and owing other people money just to live day to day.

She can have her Prius, and the payments. My 99 Suburban and 94 Fleetwood are paid for, 100% cash. I have no intention of a car payment as long as I live. Sure a NEW car would be nice. But if I can't afford to keep it without a pretty healthy job, I don't want it.

I had a woman in a Prius yell at me at the gas station about two months ago. Why didn't she yell at the guy with the Escalade behind me? Oh well, I love my luxo barge and the 13-14mpg I get in the city :thumbsup:

Bro-Ham
07-01-06, 11:22 PM
Water off a duck's back...who cares what someone thinks of your personal choice? If you derive pleasure from what makes your heart go pitty-pat then why give any thought to what someone else does or says or says about it? Pat yourself on your own back, be happy with who you are and where you are in life, and know that you are doing what you want and wouldn't have it any other way. I'd say that's Cadillac style and not too many people have it.

Rick186
07-01-06, 11:26 PM
Uhh . . . one thing I have to admit is that Elias is probably a bad influence on me. (LOL) I got the skinny on that Borla exhaust system of his and since Gini wants us to go-RV-ing before the year is out, I figure I can justify the Borla system as a kind of thingy to make it easier on the motor . . . Right guys?:)

Anyhow, to get back to topic; Maybe times have changed, but I don't remember as many snotty comments toward my car when I drove my Mercedes 220Sb. That was a German-built and foreign car at that. Maybe it's the ecology Nazis who now get the publicity and also get their shorts in a wad. Ergo, any large luxury car stands out to them. So, unless you ride a bicycle, wear birkenstocks and smell like you haven't taken a bath for 5 months, you're a target.

Obviously, however, they are not like most of us who, like me, suffer severe withdrawal pangs unless there's grease under the fingernails. Yet I must confess to emitting vile oaths when changing certain spark plugs. I'm glad it isn't a frequent occurrence. (Thank you, Albert Champion)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-06, 12:42 AM
Straight shot right to the baby maker for the woman in the Prius! Wham!

96Fleetwood
07-02-06, 07:23 AM
Haha, actually I didn't say anything back to her. I always am dressed well when I have hospital rounds and I had my "mafia style" Rayban sunglasses on... all I did was point for her to get out of my face while keeping my eye on the gas pump. Needless to say she scurried back over to her car mumbling some nonsense. I gave her a good dose of the Borla and exhaust fumes as I was leaving :want:

I agree 100% with the no car payment concept. She will be paying for that car for the next 4 years and when it runs out of battery... ooops! :bouncy:

Frost
07-02-06, 09:48 AM
I think it was someone on this board who said it best when accosted by some Prius-lovin', cappucino-suckin', berkinstock-wearing', tree-huggin', crunchy-granola-munchin' lefty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Gee, lady, thanks for leaving more gas for the rest of us to burn!"

A pinhead in a Honda Civic pulled out and into my lane one day and we nailed each other on a busy city road - we were both doing 30 mph at the time.

My '88 SDV had almost $7,000 damage and it wasn't pretty. But I was able to drive my car to my garage to effect the reapirs. Mind you, I had to get there by only going in a straight line or making left hand turns - the car couldn't turn right after that impact. HIS Honda ended up in chunks on the road and it took two towtrucks to move the refuse and clear the road for traffic.

The cop wrote him up a fistfull of tickets for that dumb-ass manouver, but it was his own stupidity that really bit him in his arse - that very day he had taken collision insurance off his ride because he had finally paid it all off - his Honda was JUST 3 years old at the time.

The cop couldn't believe how dumb this guy was, even going so far as to point out to him that he had just written off a car worth 12 grand easy, and wouldn't see dime-one from his insurance for his trouble. Oh, and BTW, he also had all those tickets to pay for, as well.

I wonder if he had made some smart-ass comment to a "gas-guzzler" sometime earlier that day? Who's to know?

What we drive is an extension of ourselves - our mobile karma, if you will. What goes around comes around. And it is the one's who are so arrogant and sef-righteous that will get their comeuppance all too soon.

It may be in the form of a full impact side collision. Then who will be singing the praises of Prius ownership?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-06, 12:04 PM
Very nicely worded Frost! :)

BluEyes
07-02-06, 12:07 PM
haha, who cares anyways; gas is only $3/gallon or so. Go over to Europe and you'd have people lining up all day to pay what we do. All the higher prices do is make premium more affordable, %-wise. My Caddy already requires it, but for my other cars I'm wondering about bumping the timing!

I agree 100% with all the comments about the Prius. Even with Toyota selling it at a loss for the first few years of production, it still isn't cheap. Plus the gas savings aren't that much compared to a base, 5-sp Corolla.

And of course, paying interest on a car that is depreciating right before your very eyes... Stupid. Unless it is a Ferrari or something, the closest I'd get to buying new is something off a 2-yr lease and always pay in full, up front. The car has lost a huge chunk of its value in that short lease time while the first "owner" has been walking on eggshells so as not to get a single mark on the car that would hurt the lease return. Maybe if more people would wise up to this, new cars wouldn't cost such a freaking fortune that they aren't worth it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-06, 12:10 PM
Comeback to original comment:

"It's foolish to insult someone who's got a bigger car than you"
-or-
"It's foolish not to keep your mouth shut about someone else's prized possession"

Frost
07-02-06, 01:18 PM
or,,"Tell me: Just how much self-respect do you have to swallow on a daily basis in order to be SEEN in that?"

caddycruiser
07-02-06, 04:56 PM
We get the "I bet that's sure a gas hog" comment SO much, from SO many people, I've lost count over the years.

Anytime anyone "not in the know" (which is pretty much everyone...), sees one or we say what we drive, that's always what we get. And then they never believe us when we say "usually over 20 to mid 20's easily".

The gas hog would be my mother's '04 Suburban LS...2wd, 5.3L, 3:73 rear, and it has NEVER broken a 16-17 mpg average once in its 2 years. Sucks, despite how it's driven, but oh well. Real world, everday, it still doesn't seem bad, but it's definately not like the Roadie or a FW, even if it is the lightest, smallest engined Suburban available.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-06, 07:19 PM
We get the "I bet that's sure a gas hog" comment SO much, from SO many people, I've lost count over the years.

You know that's wierd. I've never gotten a comment like that, even when I had the Roadmaster. Maybe people are just nicer in MN?

thu
07-03-06, 07:48 PM
Yah, I have never gotten that comment when I drove my 85 Deville, 93 Deville or '03 STS. I guess it's cause lots of people drive pickups out here.

Benzilla
07-03-06, 08:03 PM
The only comment I have ever gotten like that is some guy while talking about my '90 Brougham said he hoped the gas prices didn't get to me. other than that, most of the comments I get when I give my friends rides is something like "damn, this is sooo comfortable!" that never gets old.

N0DIH
07-04-06, 01:05 PM
I used to get that on my 91 Sedan DeVille now and then, but when I explained to them I get 27-29 highway, they were in shock and awe and their little piece of rice crap didn't seem like such a good deal anymore with its 4 cyl that only got 32-33 highway.... (I loved doing that to Camry owners! The arrogance of them melts away....)

Bro-Ham
07-04-06, 03:17 PM
I've always found that ignoring silly people is best. It drives them crazy and you don't have to suffer their foolishness.

Benzilla
07-04-06, 04:11 PM
I used to get that on my 91 Sedan DeVille now and then, but when I explained to them I get 27-29 highway, they were in shock and awe and their little piece of rice crap didn't seem like such a good deal anymore with its 4 cyl that only got 32-33 highway.... (I loved doing that to Camry owners! The arrogance of them melts away....)
Well you can say that... I get like 23 at best driving like an old lady - which I hate doing - I used to get that in my '96 Deville, I miss that car, I could never trade one of my land yachts for another, but if I had more room I'd go get one right now.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-04-06, 04:19 PM
I used to get that in my '96 Deville, I miss that car, I could never trade one of my land yachts for another, but if I had more room I'd go get one right now.

I didn't know you had a '96 deVille. It's wierd to picture you owning a non D-Body Cadillac. :eek: :p

N0DIH, what speeds were 27-29 MPG achieved at? I get about 23.4 at 75MPH and 21 at 80 MPH.
It's funny, my parents just went on a trip to South Dakota in my mother's 05 Toyota Highlander with the 3.3 DOHC VVTi V6, using the old fashioned way, my father figured they got about 29MPG at about 55MPH. Hah! I bet if they had it at 75 or so, it would be getting 22-24, just like the "gas hog" Cadillac! :lildevil:

That Toyota sure gets better mileage than my Cadillac in town though. 19MPG v. 15MPG.

Benzilla
07-04-06, 06:08 PM
Yeah I had a '96, Frost beige with beige leather, standard wheels with thin whitewalls, ohhh that thing looked good when it was clean. I really like the Frost beige, something happens to it as sunset that makes me melt. It had about 105,000 on it when I traded it for my '90 Brougham. still pretty much mint exept for the spot on the hood that my mechanic scratched up and wouldn't admit to! before I sold it I had a complite sound system and chrome exhaust tips on it, sweet car, and fast!

Buick61
07-04-06, 08:50 PM
I suggest people sign up at www.fueleconomy.gov and report your mileage. I do it. It's also a great way to have a graphical plot of your average economy over time. Others get to see your average, too, which may help demonstrate that these cars aren't exactly 11mpg gluttons.

Right now I'm averaging 20mpg. Not bad, not great. Slightly shy of what my 300C got, which although it had more power and torque, it was lighter.

N0DIH
07-05-06, 01:57 AM
Actually, sorry, I should have clarified!

27-28 calculated, 29-30 as read on FDC. Around 70 mph highway speeds, keeping a not heavy throttle when I could. It was a night drive so I wasn't dealing with much traffic until I got in St. Louis where I got some, but still was able to hold 60-65 mph.

My FDC (Fuel Data Center) averaged 1-1.5 mpg off from calculated.

My Fleetwood, even rated 1 mpg better city (17/23, vs 16/25), has never been close to my 91 SDV was in mileage. The 4.9L did well. My FWB is a tow package car (3.42's and higher rpm shifting), so mileage isn't gonna be what a 2.56 geared car is.

I didn't know you had a '96 deVille. It's wierd to picture you owning a non D-Body Cadillac. :eek: :p

N0DIH, what speeds were 27-29 MPG achieved at? I get about 23.4 at 75MPH and 21 at 80 MPH.
It's funny, my parents just went on a trip to South Dakota in my mother's 05 Toyota Highlander with the 3.3 DOHC VVTi V6, using the old fashioned way, my father figured they got about 29MPG at about 55MPH. Hah! I bet if they had it at 75 or so, it would be getting 22-24, just like the "gas hog" Cadillac! :lildevil:

That Toyota sure gets better mileage than my Cadillac in town though. 19MPG v. 15MPG.

JCM1
07-05-06, 02:46 AM
Almost every automobile that I have owned is not considered to be the most economical. I have had maybe one or two comments from random 'hippies' to this effect. As far as I'm concerned I'll be goddamned if I ever drive a little shitbox car. I have never factored in fuel ecomony into the purchase of a car and I never intend to. I love the comfort and luxury of Cadillacs as well as other large cars and I like the convienience and four wheel drive of SUV's. Anyone who says that classic Cadillacs are foolish and would prefer some econobox has shit for taste.

N0DIH
07-05-06, 08:25 PM
I second that motion!

Almost every automobile that I have owned is not considered to be the most economical. I have had maybe one or two comments from random 'hippies' to this effect. As far as I'm concerned I'll be goddamned if I ever drive a little shitbox car. I have never factored in fuel ecomony into the purchase of a car and I never intend to. I love the comfort and luxury of Cadillacs as well as other large cars and I like the convienience and four wheel drive of SUV's. Anyone who says that classic Cadillacs are foolish and would prefer some econobox has shit for taste.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-05-06, 09:13 PM

I pretty much agree with everything said above.

chris85713
07-06-06, 10:13 AM
I think most of us have heard the remarks about our Caddies, but hang in there:

A couple of nights ago I was on the way home. Stopped at the red light....

there was a group of kids standing on the corner waiting to cross. They had to be later teens - maybe 16, 17 or so. Care to guess what came out of that crowd?

"Now THAT'S a ride!"

apparently some people DO appreciate them!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-06-06, 11:53 AM
Oh yeah definetly, I have gotten comments of that sort a LOT more than I have the negative ones.

JAKE91
07-06-06, 12:17 PM
Always Remember; "it's Not Just A Car It's A Cadillac"

Frost
07-06-06, 03:11 PM
Yep, it's the same all over. It never fails to amuse and sometimes amaze me on the comments I get from people with this car. Most of the time it's offers to sell the thing - and those are always from the "Blue-Rinse" crowd - never anyone younger than 60 or so. Outright compliments on the condition of the car are from the younger guys,,,,,,,,,,

It sure manages to punch through the few negative ones that crop up at the gas stations. And I can always handle them, anyway.

delzy
07-07-06, 03:49 AM
There are those who own Cadillacs..... and there are those who don't.

fullserviceman
07-08-06, 03:35 PM
Personally I have never had any negative car or fuel comments given to me, I don't drive the cars much anymore so I don't care about gas mileage all that much when I do but hey 20mpg is great when I usually am in a work van which any on them we have get about 10mpg average(might as well just bypass the motor and run the gas out the tailpipe) But I would say who the hell are you to tell me what car to drive and how much gas I should use. I hate hippies.... every big car mostly caprices I have owned averaged 20mpg so whats the big deal Honestly I only got stares 1 time getting out of an escort ( im freakin huge)... I guess People just want to tell you that burning gas is wrong and we should all live in tree huts and eat grass. Writer Larry Davids wife bitches at everyone using SUV's but has no problem flying her private jet wherever she goes anyone ever fuel up a jet?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-06, 05:08 PM
I noticed something today when out looking for a $5,000 small car for a friend's sister. You cannot find a decent small car for cheap, all of the ones under $5,000 seem to be pretty beat up, but it's quite easy to find a nice older Cadillac, especially a Brougham for under $3500. But the tradeoff there is gas. Either way, for $3,000, I'd take a 110k mile 307 Brougham over any 160k mile '93 Civic DX any day of the week.

Benzilla
07-08-06, 08:36 PM
umm, duh! lol.

My Dad got his '99 Sentra with 39,000 mi on it for $6,000. not bad I don't think.

eldorado99
07-08-06, 10:18 PM
Another justification is that the money you save on buying "An old gas hog" can be put towards gas... The 2-5K you'll save buys a crapload of gas!

Patrick7997
07-08-06, 11:09 PM
A lot of these posts are right on.... I get a ton of compliments on my car from all different people.....

Eldorado99 is exactly right.... okay, you go spend $5000 on an econobox that gets 35 instead of 24.... okay, that's a difference of 11 MPG. So you have to drive a little over 120,000 miles before you even BREAK EVEN.... Makes no sense. Spend the $5,000 on gas..... This is of course ignoring repairs & insurance on the econobox.... which would wildly skew the example higher in break-even miles....

And the thing that has always struck me is, people with long commutes (like me) spend MORE time in the car.... so, isn't your comfort worth something, if you're going to spend 2.5 hours a day in the thing????

I also agree with the debt analysis... interest payments would gas up the car. Buy something used for cash & drive it...

Lotta good thoughts in this thread.

Suburban getting 16... that's not bad. My brother's Durango was getting 10, before he sold it.... that thing got a hemi in it????

Obviously, I love Cadillacs. As do lots of people. Some people just don't get it.

Benzilla
07-08-06, 11:16 PM
I thought your girlfriend hated your car?

N0DIH
07-09-06, 12:29 AM
Exactly, I do spend around 2.5-3 hrs in my Cad a day, that was a BIG factor in my buying decision. My wife noticed when I got a Cadillac vs my old Bonneville that my stress level at the end of the day was much improved! I drive 62 miles each way, and the closer I get to work the worse traffic gets. I intentionally leave later to get to work and leave later to get home just to avoid some of the multiple mile long backups in traffic.

And people don't seem to pick up the calculator enough when looking at new cars vs older ones. I did a cost analysis for a friend who was bragging his brother in law got a new Hybrid and he was getting 44 mpg. So, I punched in his cost of the new car, gas, insurance, yada yada and compared to my Cadillac,including purchase price, yada ydad and it showed my Cadillac would be more profitable for around 10-12 YEARS compared to the hybrid, assuming the car would even last that long. I'll dig up the spreadsheet if anyone is interested. I can't post a .xls file, so I'll need an email or maybe I can post it as a link.

Seeing cars like FaSStwood's Fleetwood approaching 400K miles shows up the the durability of these killer rides. And you can rebuild a LT1 and 4L60E for $4K easily and have another 400K miles to go! Drop in an extra grand or 2 and have some realy fun with a 383 and low 13 sec quarter mile times....

Yeah, people don't make sense these days.

I am getting more and more concerned with things.

1. Gas prices at the pump suck, and suck more all the time.
2. Electric and Natural Gas prices are going up more and more all the time.
3. Paychecks aren't going up as fast as the utilties.
4. All I see for jobs is retail retail retail, no REAL jobs. No factories coming to do business here. Nothing. All going overseas. Where is the money coming from? And where is it GOING? Look around, houses being built, resturaunts being built, home improvement stores being built, cell phones being sold, services sold, but where are the income producing jobs?

Am I missing something here????

And the thing that has always struck me is, people with long commutes (like me) spend MORE time in the car.... so, isn't your comfort worth something, if you're going to spend 2.5 hours a day in the thing????

I also agree with the debt analysis... interest payments would gas up the car. Buy something used for cash & drive it...

fullserviceman
07-09-06, 03:55 AM
"multiple car crash claims life of......" When you watch the news how many dead people do you see being pulled out of cadillacs/lincolns and such??