: Only 1 electric fan turns on when the a/c is on.

ocjmakaveli
07-01-06, 02:29 AM
Well after a long month battle with my a/c compressor and having to replace it twice because it would squeal I finally had it fixed by replacing the tensioner and belt.

Now I noticed that my driver side fan doesn't turn on when the a/c is on and only the right side fan is on.

I thought both were supposed to be on at all times when the a/c was on?

Any thoughts?

94 cadillac fleetwood

limo
07-01-06, 10:32 AM
Seems to be correct, with A/C off and engine cold no one fan runs, with A/C on only the passenger side fan goes on (I just tried it on the 96 FWB).

WMD
07-01-06, 10:37 AM
Hi
I don't have my 95 FWB manuals in front of me, but the left( driver's side )cooling fan is definitely not on at all times with the a/c on . That fan will engage when the engine starts to overheat or when the a/c is on and the high pressure side of the refrigerant system reaches a preset high. After the engine temp. drops or the a/c pressure drops, that fan will turn off and will again be on standby mode. That fan should typically need to engage in hot stop and go situations. It will usually be off in steady driving.
Cheers WMD

ewill3rd
07-01-06, 01:35 PM
Usually the second fan doesn't kick on until the AC high side pressure goes to a preset limit, as just mentioned.
Sounds normal to me.

N0DIH
07-01-06, 10:40 PM
I am not sure on the primary fan, but the secondary is as ewill3rd said.

There is some variance model to model in the pressure, but basically it is set that way to have better AC performance.

ocjmakaveli
07-02-06, 01:30 AM
Ok thanks guys I forgot since I hadn't driven the car around that's why the left side fan was off.

Both fans were on today after a long drive. I was just worried and thought both were supposed to be on. Last thing I wanted was to have a blinking overheating light and be stranded on the highway.

:thumbsup: