: Displaying Codes with ECC Head

caddydream
06-29-06, 11:55 PM
While browsing through my Brougham factory manual I discovered that the Electronic Climate Control can be used to display ECM codes.

Using the bottons on the control head I can access them and they will show on the LED display.

GM must have had some cool engineers back in the day. Reminds me of using fiber optics in the 1980s.

BCs71
06-30-06, 03:19 PM
Yep, being able to check codes is a great addition to my FW. The lack of tachometer SUCKS, but at least through the CC panel I can bring up a tach, even though it's meant for diagnostic purposes.

The Ape Man
06-30-06, 08:19 PM
While browsing through my Brougham factory manual I discovered that the Electronic Climate Control can be used to display ECM codes.

Using the bottons on the control head I can access them and they will show on the LED display.

GM must have had some cool engineers back in the day. Reminds me of using fiber optics in the 1980s.

Fiber optic cable was used to light the top fender indicator lamps on Cadillacs as far back as 1971. Maybe they were used even earlier.

Benzilla
06-30-06, 11:47 PM
Didn't they also use them for those red "eyes" above the rear window? 'cause the ones in my '79 don't work, and I didn't know fiber optics could stop working, andbody else have this happen? and yes my brake lights work.

brougham
07-01-06, 12:14 AM
Yeah they did. If they both don't work probably someone took the tail lights out before or the trim off from around the back window and didn't connect them again or the ends are dirty. I think if it gets bent it will stop working too. One of mine doesn't work and I gave up on trying to fix it.