: MAF screen missing

weister42
06-27-06, 05:31 PM
Just today I cleaned the TB myself for the first time, but I don't see a MAF screen like the one post in Tech Tips on how to clean the TB. Hum....am I supposed to have it? Chances are I've been running without one since I got the car.

eldorado1
06-27-06, 06:43 PM
someone probably removed it as a "performance" mod. Good luck finding a new one.......

Ranger
06-27-06, 09:51 PM
It actualy not a "screen" but an air flow straightener. It removes the turbulance of the intake air just prior to passing over the MAF sensor to prevent it from getting false indications. I agree with eldorado1. Some Bozo thought it was restrictive and would some how get better air flow by re-engineering the system. As the Guru used to say, they don't know what they don't know. I would try to replace it. Perhaps a bone yard.

weister42
06-27-06, 11:50 PM
Well am I harming anything by not having a MAF screen? Should I just leave it alone as is?

eldorado1
06-28-06, 12:31 AM
Possibly..... does your car ping? Have a rough or unstable idle?

Ranger
06-28-06, 12:38 AM
If it is running ok then probably not. I doubt you'll "harm anything", but I'd replace it if you can find one. It was put there for a reason.

weister42
06-28-06, 01:49 AM
The car is fine and I took it on an 8 hour trip just a few weeks ago, no problems at all.

Less air restriction huh?

weister42
06-28-06, 04:19 PM
I went to a caddy dealership today and told them about my missing MAF screen, he said some N* have it and some don't. He said if my engine needs that part then I would see my check engine light on.

Pretty much he told me to not worry about it unless I'm having problems.

AlBundy
06-28-06, 05:15 PM
I'm surprized they didn't try to make a sale.

caddydaddy
06-28-06, 10:07 PM
I went to a caddy dealership today and told them about my missing MAF screen, he said some N* have it and some don't.

I think he meant the 1995 and earlier that were speed density, instead of MAF? Those didn't have a MAF sensor or a screen.